Helm*t Covers - Recommendations?

Old February 26th 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech;,rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Sr.

Default Helm*t Covers - Recommendations?

Hello,

Can any of you recommend a good helm*t cover (and where to get it). I
like to use one for cold weather riding and also if I get caught in
the rain. Some of you Seattle folks should be able to speak from
experience! :-)

Thanks,

Steve
Old February 26th 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Feb 25, 9:40*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

Can any of you recommend a good helm*t cover (and where to get it). I
like to use one for cold weather riding and also if I get caught in
the *rain. Some of you Seattle folks should be able to speak from
experience! :-)

Thanks,

Steve

go green stretch out a condom....
Old February 26th 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Chris[_12_]

On Feb 25, 6:40*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

Can any of you recommend a good helm*t cover (and where to get it). I
like to use one for cold weather riding and also if I get caught in
the *rain. Some of you Seattle folks should be able to speak from
experience! :-)

Thanks,

Steve

I like the Sugoi one a lot. I have had a few of them over the years
and be very happy with it. I bet you can get one from REI. But the
biggest advice I can give is to take your helm*t with you and test fit
it first. Some covers fit some helm*ts, some do not. You will not know
unless you try it first. It is also a great idea to put the helm*t on
and try putting the cover on while you are wearing it to get a better
idea of how easy it is to put on and take off while riding.

Chris
Old February 26th 09, 11:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
ru4linux2

On Feb 25, 8:40*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

Can any of you recommend a good helm*t cover (and where to get it). I
like to use one for cold weather riding and also if I get caught in
the *rain. Some of you Seattle folks should be able to speak from
experience! :-)

Thanks,

Steve

I'm highly qualified to answer this, Steve and I don't live in Seattle
but Texas. :-)

What I use is a very thin, lightweight 'shower cap'. I found a
package of them in a grocery store, 'hair care' products section
several years ago and there were about 6 of them in the package. If I
remember correctly, there were 2 each of red, yellow and black. They
cost almost nothing, weigh almost nothing and don't take much more
space in your pocket than a Kleenex.

Mostly I use mine as a wind blocker by putting one over my helmet but
it also will work under the helmet, too.

Hope this helps you.

Lewis.

*****
Old February 26th 09, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
P. Chisholm

http://search.performancebike.com/se...w=helmet+cover
Old February 26th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX[_2_]

Steve Sr. wrote:
:: Hello,
::
:: Can any of you recommend a good helm*t cover (and where to get it). I
:: like to use one for cold weather riding and also if I get caught in
:: the rain. Some of you Seattle folks should be able to speak from
:: experience! :-)
::
:: Thanks,
::
:: Steve

I second Lewis' recommendation to use a shower cap, but I have found
something slightly better. It is called a "processing cap" and is used for
giving a permanent wave. These caps tend to be of slightly heavier plastic
and usually are plain, i.e., no little duckies or kitten designs on them.
You can find them in stores that sell beauty supplies.

They are cheap and disposable.

Pat

Old February 26th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Feb 25, 8:40 pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

Can any of you recommend a good helm*t cover (and where to get it). I
like to use one for cold weather riding and also if I get caught in
the rain. Some of you Seattle folks should be able to speak from
experience! :-)

Walz caps are some of the nicest fitting traditional cycling caps you
can get. The wool ones are good in the wet and you can even get them
with ear flaps.

http://www.walzcaps.com/

Old February 26th 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Nicholas Grieco

On Feb 25, 6:40*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

Can any of you recommend a good helm*t cover (and where to get it). I
like to use one for cold weather riding and also if I get caught in
the *rain. Some of you Seattle folks should be able to speak from
experience! :-)

Thanks,

Steve

MEC 'Downpour Plus' helmet cover, #5010-575.
Includes a short bill, and cover for the back of the neck.

http://tinyurl.com/MEC-helmet-raincover

Old February 28th 09, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Sr.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 08:21:14 -0800 (PST), Nicholas Grieco
wrote:

On Feb 25, 6:40*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

Can any of you recommend a good helm*t cover (and where to get it). I
like to use one for cold weather riding and also if I get caught in
the *rain. Some of you Seattle folks should be able to speak from
experience! :-)

Thanks,

Steve

http://tinyurl.com/MEC-helmet-raincover

MEC 'Downpour Plus' helmet cover, #5010-575.
Includes a short bill, and cover for the back of the neck.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I hadn't considered the disposable
or beauty shop approach. One thing I do need is one that will fit over
the visor. Learned that several years ago the hard way.

Steve