Passing stationary / parked cars

Old July 14th 09, 02:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Default Passing stationary / parked cars

Pip Ryder wrote:
Daniel Barlow wrote:

Hell's bells, there's even a
section in the *driving test* devoted to the perception of "hazards"
like this.

How do they test it? Does the examiner get a mate to swerve out in front
of you on his bike at a random moment during the test?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...est/DG_4022535

You sit in front of a computer, watching videos filmed from a car, and
click a mouse when you see a hazard.
Old July 14th 09, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_3_]

mileburner wrote:

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:59:13 +0100 someone who may be "mileburner"
wrote this:-

And completely unpredictable, too. I usually expect them to ride
straight over the roof of the parked car, so it often comes as a
complete surprise when they pull out to go round it instead

I find that most commonly they scoot past the parked car on the pavement
and
then rejoin the road further on.

Really? I can't recall ever seeing that, every cyclist that I can
recall in this situation pulled out and went round the car on the
pavement.

Err, that is pretty much what I said.

In other words, I don't believe you. Had you said that you have seen
a few cyclists do this I would have no reason to doubt you, despite
not being able to recall a case myself.

Nice try.

In our town I would say it is about 30% who do this, and its not just kids
going to school, it's adults too. Perhaps they are better described as
People on Bikes rather than cyclists.

maybe the area? i too never see that they always join the traffic,
sometimes the look some times not, get a few spaced cars and they can be
weaving in and out rather a lot.....

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Capital to Coast
Old July 14th 09, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pk

"Daniel Barlow" wrote in message
"mileburner" writes:

"Bod" wrote in message

True, but equally,some stupid' cyclists also pull out at the last minute
without looking, when overtaking parked cars.

Indeed this is very dangerous.

And completely unpredictable, too. I usually expect them to ride
straight over the roof of the parked car, so it often comes as a
complete surprise when they pull out to go round it instead

II tend to assume they are stopping, only a dawin award candidate pulls out
into the traffic stream at the last minute

pk
-dan

Old July 14th 09, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

JNugent wrote:
Keitht wrote:

Phil W Lee wrote:

You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or
where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.
[Laws RTA 1988, sect 22 & CUR reg 103]

How many of the drivers of the street garaged vehicles could actually
show that there was a genuine necessity for their vehicle to be parked
there?

All of them - there's no where else to put them.

Or alternatively: none of them, *unless* they can show that the
"necessity" of their keeping a car is somehow more important than the
rights of other road-users (especially those who do not arrogantly
require the pre-emptive use of several square metres of road-space 24/7)
to traverse that particular bit of the highway.

Most have paved over any green bit at the front so even that space is
unavailable.
The council wouldn't be too happy if we all left them in the local park.

There are other choces available. They usually cost money (just like
having a driveway and/or a garage don't come free).

Why are some privileged not to have to meet that cost and to be able to
offload it onto others?

It's what you get when roads are older than most of the housing.
Housing changes from large family needs with no cars - Victorian and
earlier - to large houses being converted in to flats or bedsits.
Anyway, I thought a garage was somewhere to store a vehicle -
apparently the word comes from a French word to 'shelter'.
So they are not garaged but parked as there is no shelter.
The verb might come in to play but it's more the longer term of
storing a vehicle than a temporary roadside placement.

"Temporary"?

It's usually 16 hours a day in the week and more at the weekend,
permanently. There's nowt temporary about it.

Simple then, everybody has a lifestyle change overnight including a
total overhaul of the business and financial sectors. Real public
transport is instantly available, all the big edge of town stores close
and the high street is reborn.

So little time, so much to do.

In the meantime I've paid for the ability to park wherever it is lawful.
I've ensured that the vehicle is roadworthy, insured against ambulance
chasers and chucked a bit of cash towards the general tax pot.
If other people wish to take a 'short cut' along a road that is several
hundered years old and suffer the consequences then keep on repeating
the same route then it can't be too bad.
There were no buses when many people moved in and now there are even
plans to change one of the routes to include double-deckers.
Someone, somewhere, has decided that the road is suitable for buses
despite the clog-ups. One can only assume they 'surveyed' either on a
Sunday or in the short gaps between rush hours and school runs.

There are other routes available but as our road was once a handy
mud-track that joined up two small settlements and also led to the manor
house it's a very useful road. People will still use it, it's just that
the traffic has changed a bit more over the years than the space the
road takes up. It gets busy sometimes - it's only those who are in a
perpetual hurry that can't live with it. It doesn't help that it is
usually the impatient that cause the best and biggest hold ups.

Seeng as there has never been any approach by the police to the locals
about illegal parking it must all be ticketty-boo.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old July 14th 09, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

Keitht KeithT writes:

In the meantime I've paid for the ability to park wherever it is lawful.

I hope you got a receipt

-dan
Old July 14th 09, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Daniel Barlow wrote:
Keitht KeithT writes:

In the meantime I've paid for the ability to park wherever it is lawful.

I hope you got a receipt

-dan

Got all sorts of bits of paper.
Even put one on the windscreen,(nearside and visible).

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old July 14th 09, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Daniel Barlow wrote:

Keitht KeithT writes:

In the meantime I've paid for the ability to park wherever it is lawful.

I hope you got a receipt

....especially as no-one needs to pay for it.
Old July 14th 09, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Pip Ryder wrote:
When cycling on small roads in residential areas, you often get a
situation where one side of the road is blocked by parked cars and there
is only enough room for one vehicle to pass.

Who has right of way in this situation? I've heard two contradictory
opinions.

a) The vehicle that is on the same side of the road as the parked car
must give way to oncoming traffic, as passing the parked car would
result in travelling on the wrong side of the road.

b) Both vehicles have equal right of way, the one that reaches the gap
first has priority.

Which of these is correct?

Like wot others have said, it is a, however you should be aware that
many people will assume b. You will also get motorists assuming
c) the other vehicle is less important than mine, so I will just force
my way though the gap even though they are already in it.
d) I can just get through the gap leaving 3nm between me and the cyclist
coming the other way.

You will find d happens no matter what your road position is.

What you should do is be assertive, cycle outside the door zone, and if
needed in the primary position, but be ready to move over. If there is
enough room for a car to be parked at the side of the road, then there
is enough room to cycle past it safely. Being in the primary position
here is not causing an obstruction, the parked car has already managed that.

When you do give way, be clear what you are doing, and be aware that
there may be an idiot behind you who will try to overtake as you pull
away into the gap (like what happened to me on Sunday).
Old July 15th 09, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian[_8_]

"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message
Keitht KeithT considered Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:57:04 +0100 the perfect
time to write:

Phil W Lee wrote:
Keitht KeithT considered Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:31:45 +0100 the perfect
time to write:

Pip Ryder wrote:
When cycling on small roads in residential areas, you often get a
situation where one side of the road is blocked by parked cars and
there
is only enough room for one vehicle to pass.

Who has right of way in this situation? I've heard two contradictory
opinions.

a) The vehicle that is on the same side of the road as the parked car
must give way to oncoming traffic, as passing the parked car would
result in travelling on the wrong side of the road.

b) Both vehicles have equal right of way, the one that reaches the gap
first has priority.

Which of these is correct?
Outside my house it's usually the one who gives in first.
Though that can take a while as by then traffic has backed up behind
each vehicle and no-one is prepeared to engage reverse gear as that is
not contining on thier journey.
When it's a pig-heaed idiot that decided that two buses are easier to
reverse than one car -- it can take some time.

And yes, it is a residential road that is wide enough to park cars on
either side but then not wide enough for two-way traffic in most
places.
Some helpful person also decided to put not one but two bus routes on
the same road. Not sure if there is a law that covers it --if there is
then no-one round here has heard of it.

I'm pretty sure that's covered by parking laws.

fx
Checks HC
/fx

Yes, here it is:

242

You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or
where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.

[Laws RTA 1988, sect 22 & CUR reg 103]

There's no unnecessary obstruction, it's just parked cars and they are
all parked legally. There is enough room if people are prepared to look
first and wait if there's already a vehicle coming the other way.
The amount of tyre squeal hereabouts might indicate a lack of
anticipation.
Oh, I forgot to mention the fire station just down the road a bit.

It could be argued that with a very few exceptions, motor vehicles
parked on the roadside (other than in marked bays) are always an
unnecessary obstruction.

Of course, it's always open to the driver to show that it was
necessary (in the strict sense of the word, rather than "convenient")
for them to park there, and not in a properly marked space or in
offroad parking.
But I think the legal framework is already there to enforce a ban on
on-street parking outside marked parking spaces. It just needs to be
applied properly.

How many of the drivers of the street garaged vehicles could actually
show that there was a genuine necessity for their vehicle to be parked
there?

The same argument could naturally be applied to cycles parked and chained to
posts, railings, etc on footpaths, in pedestrian areas, etc....

Old July 15th 09, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian[_8_]

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Jul 13, 7:19 am, Paul Rudin wrote:

AIUI part of the reason that people are seldom prosecuted for
obstruction is that it can't be simply ticketed. It's a before the
magistrates job and rather a hassle for the police.

Not as far as I know. That is the only thing for which I have ever
been prosecuted, and no magistrates were involved. But that was when
I was a penniless student oaf, which was a long time ago now.

So ... what about the three pushbikes laid flat on their sides outside the
local shop doorway whilst the oafish louts who own them are inside making
their purchase/shoplifting/ etc? ..... whilst a proper bike rack is provided
not three yards away? Do you think THEY will be "ticketed"?