alerting drivers to rear light failures

Old July 14th 09, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Default alerting drivers to rear light failures

On 2009-07-13, Adam Lea wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:
"Adam Lea" wrote in message
If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear
light/brake light failed is it reasonable to politely alert the
driver to it if safe and practical to do so, or would this be more
likely than not to annoy them?
I am always pointing out cars having front fog lights on and just
get two fingers, so probably not.

He said 'rear lights', not front fogs.
The principle is the same. Pointing out that drivers are breaking the
law gets short shrift usually.

Drivers can see if they have their front fogs on, and are likely to have
done so deliberately. Rear light failures happen without the drivers
knowledge. Big difference.

Whilst the failure on a journey will happen without the drivers
knowledge, given the amount of rear failed rear lights, I wonder how
many motorists know the light is not working, but have not fixed it, or
just have not checked there lights for weeks of months.

Would you point out to a cyclist that he didn't have a rear light? I
probably wouldn't. But if he had one and it was really dim because the
batteries were flat, I might, because he might not know.

It might have fallen off, or could be in their pocket. OTOH how many
cyclists carry spare batteries, I doubt that there are many.

So I think it is a question of, don't interfere if it's a deliberate
decision.

I see your point, but it is not always obvious what is a deliberate
decision. Also they may have decided to drive/ride with a problem that
they don't know how to fix.

What if you ride up behind someone with the rear QR done up improperly?
I would mention that because it's a safety issue. But if they're riding
a Halfords BSO with a back wheel with four broken spokes shaped like a
potato chip and the brake noodle undone so that it can still rotate
after a fashion, I would say nothing, because they obviously know about
it.

What if you come across a bike in a bike shed next to yours and notice
the QR is done up improperly? Do you just fix it there and then?

I have adjusted other people bikes on occasion, most recently the brakes
on a neighbours bike locked up in the stairwell.
Old July 15th 09, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Ben C tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

What if you come across a bike in a bike shed next to yours and notice
the QR is done up improperly? Do you just fix it there and then?

A cow-orker - who had already demostarted a shocking lack of Clue in the
code he was employed to write - used to use his front q/r inna-screw-stylee.
Every evening I'd sneak up on his bike and do it up properly, every morning
he'd maladjusted back again.

Stan eventually left the Babbage-Business and became a flying-bus driver. I
urge Thee Panel never ever to fly with $AIRLINE[1] unless the alternative is
Instant Deth.

1 - details available on receipt of a used tenner

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old July 15th 09, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Dave Larrington wrote:
In ,
Ben C tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

What if you come across a bike in a bike shed next to yours and notice
the QR is done up improperly? Do you just fix it there and then?

A cow-orker - who had already demostarted a shocking lack of Clue in the
code he was employed to write - used to use his front q/r inna-screw-stylee.
Every evening I'd sneak up on his bike and do it up properly, every morning
he'd maladjusted back again.

Stan eventually left the Babbage-Business and became a flying-bus driver. I
urge Thee Panel never ever to fly with $AIRLINE[1] unless the alternative is
Instant Deth.

1 - details available on receipt of a used tenner

Never trust anyone who orks cows.

SKS rear light Will Cove UK 5 January 30th 07 10:37 PM
rear light Katharine & Paul Australia 16 September 22nd 06 08:34 AM
Best rear light? elyob UK 17 July 8th 05 08:49 AM
Rear light JBB UK 4 November 27th 04 11:33 AM
Rear Light Sam Salt UK 4 February 26th 04 11:20 PM