Self adjusting brakes?

Old September 1st 09, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Default Self adjusting brakes?

Last night I took the rear wheel on the Dahon off, stripped it down and
repacked the bearing,adjusted the derailluer , found all the gears again
and adjusted the drum brake. While I was at it I took the front blocks
out trimmed them , reversed them and adjusted them until there were
perfect, just kissing the rim in one spot. Left the bike in the
workstand and came in. This afternoon (still in the workstand) the front
brake is as locked on as a bulldog with tetanus! How?
Old September 2nd 09, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

out trimmed them , reversed them and adjusted them until there were
perfect, just kissing the rim in one spot. Left the bike in the
workstand and came in. This afternoon (still in the workstand) the front
brake is as locked on as a bulldog with tetanus! How?

I look forward to a convincing answer. I once got my dahon off the train
and found the carefully adjusted brakes had tightened just as you
described. Temperature was not the cause.
terryJ
Old September 2nd 09, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

terryj wrote:

out trimmed them , reversed them and adjusted them until there were
perfect, just kissing the rim in one spot. Left the bike in the
workstand and came in. This afternoon (still in the workstand) the
front brake is as locked on as a bulldog with tetanus! How?

I look forward to a convincing answer. I once got my dahon off the train
and found the carefully adjusted brakes had tightened just as you
described. Temperature was not the cause.
terryJ

If I pop in to my LBS I'll ask - one of the first Dahon dealers in
London. (bloody good mechanic, too)

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old September 2nd 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Keitht wrote:
terryj wrote:

out trimmed them , reversed them and adjusted them until there were
perfect, just kissing the rim in one spot. Left the bike in the
workstand and came in. This afternoon (still in the workstand) the
front brake is as locked on as a bulldog with tetanus! How?

I look forward to a convincing answer. I once got my dahon off the
train and found the carefully adjusted brakes had tightened just as
you described. Temperature was not the cause.
terryJ

If I pop in to my LBS I'll ask - one of the first Dahon dealers in
London. (bloody good mechanic, too)

Ask if they have some old spares as well???
Old September 2nd 09, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 17:40:10 +0100
Marc wrote:

Last night I took the rear wheel on the Dahon off, stripped it down
and repacked the bearing,adjusted the derailluer , found all the
gears again and adjusted the drum brake. While I was at it I took the
front blocks out trimmed them , reversed them and adjusted them until
there were perfect, just kissing the rim in one spot. Left the bike
in the workstand and came in. This afternoon (still in the workstand)
the front brake is as locked on as a bulldog with tetanus! How?

You inflated the tyre after adjusting the brake, and the rim has spread?
Unlikely to give symptoms as severe as you describe.

Old September 2nd 09, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Marc wrote:
Last night I took the rear wheel on the Dahon off, stripped it down and
repacked the bearing,adjusted the derailluer , found all the gears again
and adjusted the drum brake. While I was at it I took the front blocks
out trimmed them , reversed them and adjusted them until there were
perfect, just kissing the rim in one spot. Left the bike in the
workstand and came in. This afternoon (still in the workstand) the front
brake is as locked on as a bulldog with tetanus! How?

Has the cable outer popped out of the barrel adjuster, (or out of one of
the other bits it slots into)? effectively making the out longer, and
the inner relatively shorter. If it has then you need to check that the
inner slides through the outer easily.
Old September 2nd 09, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Martin wrote:
Marc wrote:
Last night I took the rear wheel on the Dahon off, stripped it down and
repacked the bearing,adjusted the derailluer , found all the gears again
and adjusted the drum brake. While I was at it I took the front blocks
out trimmed them , reversed them and adjusted them until there were
perfect, just kissing the rim in one spot. Left the bike in the
workstand and came in. This afternoon (still in the workstand) the front
brake is as locked on as a bulldog with tetanus! How?

Has the cable outer popped out of the barrel adjuster, (or out of one of
the other bits it slots into)? effectively making the out longer, and
the inner relatively shorter. If it has then you need to check that the
inner slides through the outer easily.

Nope, had a good look this afternoon when I was replacing the rear
cable's inner. Even folded the bike and unfolded it to check , nothing,
slackened them off now, but I was annoyed because I had used all of the
adjuster up expecting wear in the next week with wet road/tracks. If I
hadn't done that it woudn't have been a problem. I bought a "third hand"
over twenty years ago at the York Cycle Rally and it's been in my
toolbox ever since, constantly being moved wheh I look for somethign
else, I finally used it on this bike.
Old September 2nd 09, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Barrett[_2_]

wrote:

Last night I took the rear wheel on the Dahon off, stripped it down and
repacked the bearing,adjusted the derailluer , found all the gears again
and adjusted the drum brake. While I was at it I took the front blocks
out trimmed them , reversed them and adjusted them until there were
perfect, just kissing the rim in one spot. Left the bike in the
workstand and came in. This afternoon (still in the workstand) the front
brake is as locked on as a bulldog with tetanus! How?

You've done something to annoy the elves. If they like you, they
cobble all your shoes for you; if not...
Old September 2nd 09, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

wrote:

Last night I took the rear wheel on the Dahon off, stripped it down and
repacked the bearing,adjusted the derailluer , found all the gears again
and adjusted the drum brake. While I was at it I took the front blocks
out trimmed them , reversed them and adjusted them until there were
perfect, just kissing the rim in one spot. Left the bike in the
workstand and came in. This afternoon (still in the workstand) the front
brake is as locked on as a bulldog with tetanus! How?

You've done something to annoy the elves. If they like you, they
cobble all your shoes for you; if not...

Possibly, but they need to get into the queue!

Self-adjusting disk brakes Kim Mountain Biking 3 March 29th 06 10:55 PM
Adjusting brakes on a Raleigh Timothy Murphy UK 7 November 13th 05 01:14 AM
adjusting vee brakes dave UK 14 November 27th 04 11:49 AM
WTB: Caliper brakes &/or Adjusting Barrels JA Marketplace 0 November 19th 04 10:14 PM
Adjusting XT disc brakes? Moi Off Road 0 January 21st 04 08:56 AM