London pollution warning.

Old March 25th 11, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default London pollution warning.

On Mar 25, 5:59*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 25/03/2011 12:16, Doug wrote:

On Mar 25, 10:03 am, Matt *wrote:
On 25/03/2011 09:01, Doug wrote:

For several days now there have been moderate pollution warnings but
today, Friday, this has turned to 'High' and people are advised to
stay indoors. So cyclists beware and we can thank the many motorists
on our roads for contributing to that harmful pollution.

ITYF it's not "motorists", but London buses, taxis and goods vehicles
and European power stations and agriculture that are the main problems..

No, road traffic is the main problem in London and cars are 80% of all
road traffic. Also petrol vehicles are mainly responsible for benzene
which is carcinogenic.

At what concentration **** for brains?

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

"Short-term exposure limit (STEL). The employer shall assure that no
employee is exposed to an airborne concentration of benzene in excess
of five (5) ppm as averaged over any 15 minute period"

--
Simon Mason
Old March 26th 11, 03:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:59:35 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

At what concentration **** for brains?

That is a great honor to be ****ted for brains by the Meds. Next in line
iss the even greater honour of insensate, blinking calf.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old March 26th 11, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Mar 25, 1:01*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Doug wrote:
For several days now there have been moderate pollution warnings but
today, Friday, this has turned to 'High' and people are advised to
stay indoors. So cyclists beware and we can thank the many motorists
on our roads for contributing to that harmful pollution.

the air quality monitoring thingy shows all of London as green, so all ok
actually:http://www.londonair.org.uk/london/asp/default.asp

Are you on a different planet to me? The zones coloured red show a
high level of pollution for the 25th.

I use http://www.airtext.info/ which give daily text reports when
pollution rises to 'moderate' (most of the time) to 'high' yesterday.

Doug.

Old March 26th 11, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Doug wrote:
For several days now there have been moderate pollution warnings but
today, Friday, this has turned to 'High' and people are advised to
stay indoors. So cyclists beware and we can thank the many motorists
on our roads for contributing to that harmful pollution.

the air quality monitoring thingy shows all of London as green, so
all ok actually:http://www.londonair.org.uk/london/asp/default.asp

Are you on a different planet to me? The zones coloured red show a
high level of pollution for the 25th.

I use http://www.airtext.info/ which give daily text reports when
pollution rises to 'moderate' (most of the time) to 'high' yesterday.

Doug.

yes, most people are on a different planet to you !! However, that site was
showing all green when I posted. It shows all red today, and no index for
yesterday, perhaps it is not very good, airtext shows all green today, one
of them is very wrong.

Old March 26th 11, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

wrote:
On 25/03/2011 12:16, Doug wrote:

On Mar 25, 10:03 am, Matt *wrote:
On 25/03/2011 09:01, Doug wrote:

[...]

Oh dear, oh dear : Simples thinks that the concentration of benzene in the air from traffic just
happens to be the same as the H&S limit for industry.

--
Stopping distances for bicycles do not appear in the HC ... and so
cannot be of any consequence.

Old March 26th 11, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

wrote:
On 25/03/2011 12:16, Doug wrote:

On Mar 25, 10:03 am, Matt wrote:
On 25/03/2011 09:01, Doug wrote:

[...]

The World Health Organization (WHO) states that "no safe level for airborne
benzene can be recommended as it is carcinogenic to humans and there is no
known safe threshold level."

It also says:

"Research shows that in many traffic conditions pollution levels inside cars
can be up to eighteen times higher than those in "ambient" air outside."

and

Drivers can be exposed to even higher levels of health-damaging pollutants
than those experienced by cyclists and pedestrians.

so cyclists do not need to whinge about it as they have less of it to
breathe than car drivers suffer.

finding a figure for benzene levels in London is hard, but one study from
1998 states that the levels are around about 1 part per billion for much of
the year with odd spikes in the winter up to about 9ppb

http://www.agius.com/hew/resource/aq-past.htm

roughly agreed with he

http://www.euro.who.int/__data/asset...5_2benzene.pdf

so IIUC 5ppm is vastly higher than will ever be found on the streets.

Old March 26th 11, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 26, 5:40*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:

so IIUC 5ppm is vastly higher than will ever be found on the streets.- Hide quoted text -

5ppm is the short term exposure limit - the 8 hour working day limit
for benzene is 1ppm or 1000 ppb.

--
Simon Mason
Old March 26th 11, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

"Mrcheerful" wrote:

Drivers can be exposed to even higher levels of health-damaging pollutants
than those experienced by cyclists and pedestrians.

so cyclists do not need to whinge about it as they have less of it to
breathe than car drivers suffer.

That's a bit like saying that passive smokers have no need to complain
because they breathe less smoke than smokers.

--
Tony
Old March 26th 11, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 26/03/2011 18:09, Tony Raven wrote:

wrote:

Drivers can be exposed to even higher levels of health-damaging pollutants
than those experienced by cyclists and pedestrians.

so cyclists do not need to whinge about it as they have less of it to
breathe than car drivers suffer.

That's a bit like saying that passive smokers have no need to complain
because they breathe less smoke than smokers.

Yes, but since cyclists are all Considerably Richer Than Everyone Else, they
must cause more than their equitable share of all the major pollution from
power stations, factories, etc.

Wealth = consumption.
Old March 27th 11, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

wrote:

Drivers can be exposed to even higher levels of health-damaging pollutants
than those experienced by cyclists and pedestrians.

so cyclists do not need to whinge about it as they have less of it to
breathe than car drivers suffer.

That's a bit like saying that passive smokers have no need to complain
because they breathe less smoke than smokers.

IIRC, there was a 40-year study carried out in America that followed the
lives of 100,000, or more, couples - where one smoked and one didn't,
comparing them with couples where neither smoked, and that it showed
that the non-smokers living with smokers showed an insignificant
increased risk of developing a serious smoke-related illness over
non-smokers who lived with non-smokers for the same period.

--
Matt B