two-wheeled scum murdering pedestrians again

Old April 13th 11, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Default two-wheeled scum murdering pedestrians again

On 12/04/2011 19:40, Front Mech wrote:
On 12 apr, 18:07, Matt wrote:

Precisely, it [VED] is by band, not be emissions. The bands are set, not on
how much you emit, but by the theoretical potential of your engine /to/
emit - a rating.

Just got this from

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022118

The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles
and trade licences

Tax classes include:

private/light goods vehicles, motorcycles and tricycles
cars registered on or after 1 March 2001 based on CO2 emissions
and fuel type
cars registered before 23 March 2006 based on CO2 emissions over
225g/km and fuel type

Am I misreading it in some way? It does appear to indicate that VED is
based on CO2 emissions.

Let me give you an example.

Imagine a couple with some children who have, say, a Ford Galaxy that
they use to ferry the kids around and for weekends, and a Prius that the
main breadwinner uses for commuting.

The Galaxy is band L (GBP 445 VED), and emits 235 g/km CO2 and the Prius
is band A (GBP Zero VED) and emits 92 g/km CO2. The Galaxy covers 7000
miles per year, the Prius 35000.

The Galaxy emits a total of 2647 kg of CO2, the Prius a whopping 5182 kg
of CO2.

Now explain how, given that the Prius in the example above emits twice
as much CO2 as the Galaxy, that the VED paid is in any way based on CO2
emissions.

--
Matt B
Old April 13th 11, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 18:08:02 +0100, Judith wrote:

Oh dear, oh dear oh dear - has Simples been at the Porky Chapman school
of deceit?

Short description
Jawless mouth, single nasal aperture, only a single pair of external gill
openings, no operculum or covering fold of skin. Grayish or reddish brown
above, either plain. Variations in color correspond to the color of the
sea bottom.
Biology Glossary (e.g. epibenthic)
Found on muddy bottoms where they hide in the mud. Slime is used for
defense. Feeds chiefly on dead and dying fish of varying species by
boring into the body and consuming viscera and musculature. Chiefly
nocturnal. Its eggs are few in number about 19-30 and large (20-25 mm),
the horny shell has a cluster of anchor-tipped filaments at each end.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old April 13th 11, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 20:28:42 +0100, Judith wrote:

What the **** has Matt B got to do with it. Do you always ask him what
you can and can't do.

****?
I have Boris my ram available any time!

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old April 13th 11, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 00:00:48 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

No, you are just a thick ****.

Doris my ewe has a lovely thick ****.
Just right for the Meds.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old April 13th 11, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 21:56:40 -0700, Front Mech wrote:

I am being called a "thick ****" by a semi-evolved van driving simian
hominid who thinks that 1603000 is 352% of 262000. It's an honor to be
reviled by such a "person". Chuck him a banana, someone.

See my post about Doris

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old April 13th 11, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_4_]

On 12 apr, 18:07, Matt wrote:

[...]

You may prefer to consider the duty paid on fuel as well as the
vehicle excise duty. Doing that you get a different picture.

Galaxy - 35p per Kg of CO2
Prius - 27p per Kg of CO2

This is based on 41.7 MPG for the Galaxy and 67.5 MPG for the Prius:
http://www.car-emissions.com/cars/mo...ar+-+Post+2010
http://www.car-emissions.com/cars/model/toyota/Prius

If the Prius is used almost exclusively for urban driving and the
Galaxy for rural driving, the cost of CO2 emmissions will be even
closer.

But perhaps, instead of using your model of a hypothetical family use
of their cars you should look at it another way. How much greater
would the hypothetical family's emissions be if they had two cars
emitting the same as the Galaxy?
Old April 13th 11, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

On 12 apr, 18:07, Matt wrote:

[...]

Yes, indeed. Although the particular discussion I was addressing was
whether VED was based on emissions. Which as we can see, it isn't.

--
Matt B
Old April 13th 11, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_4_]

On 12 apr, 18:07, Matt wrote:

[...]

Clearly there is an substantial element of VED which is based on
emissions.

Oh - and in my calculations which you snipped above, I forgot to add
in VAT on fuel.

With that you get:
Galaxy - 42p per Kg of CO2
Prius - 38p per Kg of CO2

So, you can now see how it could be argued that VED is used to bring
down the cost per Kg of CO2 emissions for the least polluting cars -
even with your example.
Old April 13th 11, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Front Mech

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ToTaxYourVehic...

[...]

The figures are based on emissions (grammes per kilometre) of each car
type. That is in black and white on the DVLA's website.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_067081.pdf

"Cars registered on or after 1 March 2001
based on CO2 emissions and fuel type"

No-one apart from you is suggesting that VED is based on the emissions
emitted by one particular and it's owner's usage. So, in short, as the
Governent itself says, VED is based on CO2 emissions.
Old April 13th 11, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

On 12 apr, 18:07, Matt wrote:

[...]

Tom, I think you are confusing (or conflating) VED and fuel duty. Fuel
duty /is/ proportional to emissions, VED, being flat-rate (regardless of
amount emitted) is not.

--
Matt B

The wages of the roadie scum on RBT Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 17 April 23rd 09 11:10 PM
Patriots Confront Terrorist Neo-Con Leader - any here in Australia or just coward sheeple mass-murdering Nazi boy drummers? [email protected] Australia 5 October 5th 06 02:40 PM
Thieving Scum :-( Simon Connell UK 3 July 21st 04 10:54 PM
Vile Scum of the Day W K UK 40 December 4th 03 11:51 PM
dirty scum Temp3st UK 11 September 12th 03 12:04 PM