Schwinn Men's Trailway 700c/28" Hybrid Bike

Old May 24th 21, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Adam

Default Schwinn Men's Trailway 700c/28" Hybrid Bike

Considering buying the following bike...

Schwinn Men's Trailway 700c/28" Hybrid Bike
https://www.target.com/p/schwinn-men...e/-/A-53245234

First time buyer so need a little help. Looking for an all-purpose bike.

Based on the size chart, this Schwinn has a wheel size option but
not a frame size option. What wheel size is recommended for
someone who is 5'3"-ish to 5'4"-ish ?

Any opinions on this Schwinn ?

Any other bike recommendations ?
Old May 24th 21, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 4:41:10 PM UTC-7, Adam wrote:
Considering buying the following bike...

Schwinn Men's Trailway 700c/28" Hybrid Bike
https://www.target.com/p/schwinn-men...e/-/A-53245234

First time buyer so need a little help. Looking for an all-purpose bike.

Based on the size chart, this Schwinn has a wheel size option but
not a frame size option. What wheel size is recommended for
someone who is 5'3"-ish to 5'4"-ish ?

Any opinions on this Schwinn ?

Any other bike recommendations ?

This is a Chinese commodity item sold under a zillion brand names. Expect the fork and the suspension post to die in a years (or less) of serious use -- along with headset and BB bearings. I also see no need for all the suspension for a road bike, either -- but some people like pogo sticks. I don't. I'd buy something with less suspension and more robust components -- maybe something a little more expensive: https://www.rei.com/product/121596/c...roduct-reviews

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 24th 21, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Adam

On 05/23/2021 04:55 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Thanks !!

Over the phone, Schwinn said that the only suspension is in the seat
post. If that goes, OUCH !!

The REI has disc brakes. Is that more high maintenance ?
Will have to check out REI bike in-store. How's the Fuji Absolute 2.1 ?

Any road bike recommendations ? How's the Giant Contend 3 ?

Old May 24th 21, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 5:47:44 PM UTC-7, Adam wrote:
[...]

Fuji was just bought out of bankruptcy, IIRC, but they were a good value brand. Giant is a solid company that is also a good value -- and that has good dealer and customer support. I'm not familiar with models. You should go ride a bunch of bikes (to the extent possible) and see what you like. Talk to the people in the shops and buy from a shop you trust. My all-around bike recommendation would be out of your price range. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...orCode=reddark

Mechanical discs are not high maintenance, but they are some maintenance -- and you have to dial in the pads as they wear. Stopping performance is better in wet weather but not materially different from good v-brakes in dry weather. Go to a reputable seller, and beware of bikes with lots of suspension at low price points -- they're junk. You can get a great riding bike without suspension, but if you start riding a lot, you may want to change up the saddle or other parts to get the fit and feel that you want.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 24th 21, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Adam

On 05/23/2021 06:14 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Whoa! Trek Checkpoint ALR 4 is nice but maybe later.

Mechanical discs are not high maintenance, but they are some
maintenance -- and you have to dial in the pads as they wear.
Stopping performance is better in wet weather but not materially
different from good v-brakes in dry weather. Go to a reputable
seller, and beware of bikes with lots of suspension at low price
points -- they're junk. You can get a great riding bike without
suspension, but if you start riding a lot, you may want to change up
the saddle or other parts to get the fit and feel that you want.

-- Jay Beattie.

No suspension works for me.

Old May 24th 21, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/23/2021 4:41 PM, Adam wrote:

Considering buying the following bike...

Schwinn Men's Trailway 700c/28" Hybrid Bike
https://www.target.com/p/schwinn-men...e/-/A-53245234

First time buyer so need a little help.Â* Looking for an all-purpose bike.

Based on the size chart, this Schwinn has a wheel size option but
not a frame size option.Â* What wheel size is recommended for
someone who is 5'3"-ish to 5'4"-ish ?

Any opinions on this Schwinn ?

Any other bike recommendations ?

When you go up to $400, you have a lot better options. I.e.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/hybrid-bikes/hybrid-bikes-cafe-disc-comp.htm.
Out of stock of course, but more will come.
Old May 26th 21, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Adam

On 05/24/2021 09:09 AM, sms wrote:
On 5/23/2021 4:41 PM, Adam wrote:

Considering buying the following bike...

Schwinn Men's Trailway 700c/28" Hybrid Bike
https://www.target.com/p/schwinn-men...e/-/A-53245234

First time buyer so need a little help. Looking for an all-purpose bike.

Based on the size chart, this Schwinn has a wheel size option but
not a frame size option. What wheel size is recommended for
someone who is 5'3"-ish to 5'4"-ish ?

Any opinions on this Schwinn ?

Any other bike recommendations ?

When you go up to $400, you have a lot better options. I.e.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/hybrid-bikes/hybrid-bikes-cafe-disc-comp.htm.
Out of stock of course, but more will come.

Thanks, when ? Should I go with hybrid or road bike (link please) ?

Old May 27th 21, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/23/2021 4:41 PM, Adam wrote:

Considering buying the following bike...

Schwinn Men's Trailway 700c/28" Hybrid Bike
https://www.target.com/p/schwinn-men...e/-/A-53245234

First time buyer so need a little help.Â* Looking for an all-purpose
bike.

Based on the size chart, this Schwinn has a wheel size option but
not a frame size option.Â* What wheel size is recommended for
someone who is 5'3"-ish to 5'4"-ish ?

Any opinions on this Schwinn ?

Any other bike recommendations ?

When you go up to $400, you have a lot better options. I.e.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/hybrid-bikes/hybrid-bikes-cafe-disc-comp.htm.

Out of stock of course, but more will come.

Thanks, when ?Â* Should I go with hybrid or road bike (link please) ?

That depends on where you'll ride and what riding position you prefer.

Personally I would get a hybrid for the type of riding I mostly do, plus
there are very few road bikes with triple cranksets and steel forks,
though they do still exist, i.e.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington3-xv.htm.