Attitude of fellow cyclists

Old February 10th 08, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Attitude of fellow cyclists

In article 93eee362-90cb-4086-92b6-
,
says...
Now I know this will spark a few comments, but I ride a £99 shopper
bike to get my shopping in, (2000 miles for £99 plus a set of tyres,
cheap, but knackered now so replacement due, so 2000 miles for £150,
no global warming included)

Apart from the energy involved in manufacturing and shipping. Not to
mention environmental damage in China or wherever.

I also ride a MTB Marion many pounds more
than £99 and a summer road bike well over a grand. Now in summer on my
expensive bike, good lycra every fellow road cyclist waves, on my MTB
not many on road bikes wave, on my shopper very few wave. I do put a
hand up or nod to every cyclist, be it child, shopper or the lad out
for a ton mileage.

I bet they think you're some sort of weirdo.

So lads out there on the grand plus bike training,
or out for the ton in 5hrs less, or just shaking off a hangover (yes
I have done it, 18mph ave, Ok some one will beat that with a
hangover. Kids!! dont cycle with a hangover) But give a nod to every
other cyclist be it shopper, granny or child. You know be it a
cyclist just starting out and 10 miles is hard they need a nod, one
day they will hit the ton.

A person on a bike is just a person on a bike, the bike is no indication
of who they are. There are plenty of plonkers with all the right kit,
and plenty more with all the wrong kit - why would I want to greet
either just because they're pedalling two wheels?

Now another debate, road lads riding in winter, get a MTB and ride it
in winter down bridleways, its hard, MTB shoes are double the weight
of road shoes, I would say 15 miles off road is same as 12 on road.

That makes no sense. Anyway, roadies invented mountain biking as
something to do in the winter, except they called it cyclocross.
Old February 10th 08, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete-the -Bike

All depends where you live.

Up here in the north of Scotland there are so few cyclist that I
always give them a wave, and if I don't know them I usually think,
"who the hell was that?" It must get a bit silly when there are
hundreds and hundreds of cyclist out for a ride. Nice quiet roads up
here, highly recommended for road or MTB, after all we are all
cyclists.
Old February 10th 08, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 10/02/2008 08:01, Rob Morley said,

A person on a bike is just a person on a bike, the bike is no indication
of who they are. There are plenty of plonkers with all the right kit,
and plenty more with all the wrong kit

Ha! My commuting bike weighs in excess of 40lbs in commuting trim. At
this time of year I tend to be wrapped up in bulky waterproofs. Hardly
an image of a svelte racing cyclist! Yet one day on my home from work,
I realised I was catching up with a lycra-clad racing snake on a bike
that would have floated off if it wasn't tied down. The look he gave me
as I sailed past with a cheery "Good evening" didn't encourage me to
suggest that if he lowered his saddle he might get on a bit better :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 10th 08, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bornfree

On 10 Feb, 03:03, dkahn400 wrote:

I've heard this before but I have the opposite experience. Once out of
town I acknowledge every cyclist I come across. Roadies nearly always
nod or wave back, MTB or hybrid riders very seldom.

What's a hybrid?
Old February 10th 08, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pob

"Adam Lea" wrote in message

due, so 2000 miles for £150,
no global warming included)

Apart from the energy involved in manufacturing and shipping. Not to
mention environmental damage in China or wherever.

Are there any companies that manufacture bikes/bike parts in the UK?

Brompton, Moulton, Airnimal, ICE, Mercian?

Dunno if they mine and smelt the Al/Fe and draw the pipes here though....

pOB

Old February 10th 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 10/02/2008 15:42, Pob said,

Are there any companies that manufacture bikes/bike parts in the UK?

Brompton, Moulton, Airnimal, ICE, Mercian?

Don't forget Argos. (and I don't mean the high street shop!)

But then again, aren't all of the above basically frame builders using
overseas componentry?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 10th 08, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

"bornfree" wrote in message
On 10 Feb, 03:03, dkahn400 wrote:

I've heard this before but I have the opposite experience. Once out of
town I acknowledge every cyclist I come across. Roadies nearly always
nod or wave back, MTB or hybrid riders very seldom.

What's a hybrid?

Kind of halfway between a mountain bike and a road bike.

Old February 10th 08, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Rob Morley wrote:

In article 93eee362-90cb-4086-92b6-
,
says...
Now I know this will spark a few comments, but I ride a £99 shopper
bike to get my shopping in, (2000 miles for £99 plus a set of tyres,
cheap, but knackered now so replacement due, so 2000 miles for £150,
no global warming included)

Apart from the energy involved in manufacturing and shipping. Not to
mention environmental damage in China or wherever.

I also ride a MTB Marion many pounds more
than £99 and a summer road bike well over a grand. Now in summer on my
expensive bike, good lycra every fellow road cyclist waves, on my MTB
not many on road bikes wave, on my shopper very few wave. I do put a
hand up or nod to every cyclist, be it child, shopper or the lad out
for a ton mileage.

I bet they think you're some sort of weirdo.

heh very possibly, if i'm on a club run other lyra clad fools say hi,
and like wise on the hills covered in mud, other wet muddy folk say hi.
riding along the A308 don't tend to for reasons you say below.

[...]

well no cyclocross is cyclocross, which isn't mountain biking. unless
there is the missing history some where? cyclocross has been around just
over 100 years or so, and very much european while mountain biking seems
to emerged in the usa 30 odd years ago.

as to why cyclocross didn't become mountain biking maybe as it seems to
be mostly about wintertraining/racing while mountain bikings lower entry
of just a ride?

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com