Attitude of fellow cyclists

Old February 10th 08, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Attitude of fellow cyclists

In article , Adam Lea
says...

Are there any companies that manufacture bikes/bike parts in the UK?

Pashley bikes, Brooks saddles, Reynolds tubing and a few frame builders.
I think there might be a ocmpany that makes spokes too, but I can't
remember its name.
Old February 10th 08, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 10/02/2008 17:27, bornfree said,

What's "commuting trim"?

Loaded to the gunwales with lunch, mobile phone, daily backup disc,
waterproofs if I'm not wearing them, gloves, scarf and hat if I'm not
wearing them, any bits and pieces I need to bring to/from work, every
tool under the sun in my saddle pack, kitchen sink. All the sort of
stuff I don't need for a trip to the shops. Actually, now I come to
think of it, when I do use it for shopping I stick the front panniers on
as well!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 10th 08, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Paul Boyd wrote:

On 10/02/2008 17:27, bornfree said,

What's "commuting trim"?

Loaded to the gunwales with lunch, mobile phone, daily backup disc,
waterproofs if I'm not wearing them, gloves, scarf and hat if I'm not
wearing them, any bits and pieces I need to bring to/from work, every
tool under the sun in my saddle pack, kitchen sink. All the sort of
stuff I don't need for a trip to the shops. Actually, now I come to
think of it, when I do use it for shopping I stick the front panniers on
as well!

sounds like a man after my own heart! cheap hybrid here but paniers full
of stuff, some times spill's out to a front basket....

40lb sounds rather light though?

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old February 10th 08, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 10/02/2008 21:37, Roger Merriman said,

40lb sounds rather light though?

Just weighed it - 44lbs, without lunch :-) It is a "Handbuilt
Lightweight Tourer", mind - a proper British Raleigh Randonneur. Bit
overkill for commuting, really!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 10th 08, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Kane

Paul Boyd wrote:
On 10/02/2008 17:27, bornfree said,

What's "commuting trim"?

Loaded to the gunwales with lunch, mobile phone, daily backup disc,
waterproofs if I'm not wearing them, gloves, scarf and hat if I'm not
wearing them, any bits and pieces I need to bring to/from work, every
tool under the sun in my saddle pack, kitchen sink. All the sort of
stuff I don't need for a trip to the shops. Actually, now I come to
think of it, when I do use it for shopping I stick the front panniers on
as well!

No spare spokes? I think I did a week in France with less. Mind you I
bought lunch.

--
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
Old February 11th 08, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
A.C.P.Crawshaw

Mark T wrote:

One other flailing excuse for the miserable road cyclists is that in a
proper chain gang is that they're concentrating on keeping X inches off the
back wheel of the chap in front whilst doing a silly speed. Prolly not the
time for them to give a cheery wave.

Italian roadies manage it - much friendlier that our chaps.

Alan
Old February 11th 08, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

A.C.P.Crawshaw wrote:
Mark T wrote:

One other flailing excuse for the miserable road cyclists is that in a
proper chain gang is that they're concentrating on keeping X inches
off the back wheel of the chap in front whilst doing a silly speed.
Prolly not the time for them to give a cheery wave.

Italian roadies manage it - much friendlier that our chaps.

FSVO "our": I find the chain gangs around these parts (and individual
roaming roadies too) to be partial to a friendly wave and hello, and I'm
not on a road bike.

But as others have pointed out, you need to be associated with a like
minority. Don't get waves and nods in NL except from fellow recumbent
riders. If all cyclists there greeted one another it would be as full a
time job as flashing your headlamps at every car you came across while
driving in the UK.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 11th 08, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lloyd

On 9 Feb, 18:27, wrote:

[s

So many well known people suc as Matthew (Mr Piano Wire)

I know Matthew Parris sucks, so how come it is that his column blows?
roflmao

Anyhow, I give at least a nod to anyone on a bike passing in the
opposite direction and say 'alright' to those I overtake. There are
some regulars who didn't respond at first, but who have taken to a
greeting in return.

There is a limit though. I won't acknowledge pavement cyclists or bad
wobblers.

David Lloyd
Old February 11th 08, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lloyd

On 9 Feb, 18:27, wrote:
Now I know this will spark a few comments, but I ride a £99 shopper
bike *to get my shopping in, (2000 miles for £99 plus a set of tyres,
cheap, but knackered now so replacement due, so 2000 miles for £150,
no global warming included) I also ride a MTB Marion many pounds more
than £99 and a summer road bike well over a grand. Now in summer on my
expensive bike, good lycra every fellow road cyclist waves, on my MTB
not many on road bikes *wave, on my shopper very few wave. I do put a
hand up or nod to every cyclist, be it child, shopper or the lad out
for a ton mileage. So lads out there on the grand plus bike training,
or out for the ton in 5hrs less, or just shaking off a hangover *(yes
I have done it, 18mph ave, Ok some one will beat that with a
hangover. *Kids!! dont cycle with a hangover) *But give a nod to every
other cyclist be it shopper, granny or child. *You know be it a
cyclist just starting out and 10 miles is hard they need a nod, one
day they will hit the ton.
Now another debate, road lads riding in winter, get a MTB and ride it
in winter down bridleways, its hard, MTB shoes are double the weight
of road shoes, I would say 15 miles off road is same as 12 on road.
To end
So many well known people suc as Matthew (Mr Piano Wire) are anti
cyclist we must promote ourselves as been friendly to each other,
cyling is good,
Col

Oh, I forgot to say that at least this is an issue amongst cyclists.
When was the last time that a motorist waved at another, just to say
'hi' ? It just doesn't happen, does it?

David Lloyd