Attitude of fellow cyclists

Old February 11th 08, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_3_]

Default Attitude of fellow cyclists

David Lloyd wrote:

On 9 Feb, 18:27, wrote:

Now I know this will spark a few comments, but I ride a £99 shopper
bike to get my shopping in, (2000 miles for £99 plus a set of tyres,
cheap, but knackered now so replacement due, so 2000 miles for £150,
no global warming included) I also ride a MTB Marion many pounds more
than £99 and a summer road bike well over a grand. Now in summer on my
expensive bike, good lycra every fellow road cyclist waves, on my MTB
not many on road bikes wave, on my shopper very few wave. I do put a
hand up or nod to every cyclist, be it child, shopper or the lad out
for a ton mileage. So lads out there on the grand plus bike training,
or out for the ton in 5hrs less, or just shaking off a hangover (yes
I have done it, 18mph ave, Ok some one will beat that with a
hangover. Kids!! dont cycle with a hangover) But give a nod to every
other cyclist be it shopper, granny or child. You know be it a
cyclist just starting out and 10 miles is hard they need a nod, one
day they will hit the ton.
Now another debate, road lads riding in winter, get a MTB and ride it
in winter down bridleways, its hard, MTB shoes are double the weight
of road shoes, I would say 15 miles off road is same as 12 on road.
To end
So many well known people suc as Matthew (Mr Piano Wire) are anti
cyclist we must promote ourselves as been friendly to each other,
cyling is good,
Col

Oh, I forgot to say that at least this is an issue amongst cyclists.
When was the last time that a motorist waved at another, just to say
'hi' ? It just doesn't happen, does it?

Au contraire - it happens frequently, but usually in response to those
little courtesies (such as giving way where space is constricted) which
make driving that little bit more civilised.

You are correct in that drivers do not wave a greeting to the driver of
each of the hundreds (if not thousands) of other vehicles they will
encounter on most days. I'm not aware tht this "failing" has ever been
seen as reason for criticism. Indeed, last week, I think I read a report
of a police officer who, on passing a speed camera on his way to an
emergency call, posed in a thumbs-up-greeting position (at well over the
limit). He was prosecuted for DWDC&A.
Old February 11th 08, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lloyd

On 10 Feb, 14:11, bornfree wrote:
On 10 Feb, 03:03, dkahn400 wrote:

I've heard this before but I have the opposite experience. Once out of
town I acknowledge every cyclist I come across. Roadies nearly always
nod or wave back, MTB or hybrid riders very seldom.

What's a hybrid?

I hybrid rider is a mix between a roadie and an MTB rider. :-P

A hybrid between any cyclist and a petrol head is impossible, as they
are genetically incompatable. ;-)

David Lloyd

Old February 11th 08, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lloyd

On 10 Feb, 16:06, Paul Boyd wrote:
On 10/02/2008 15:42, Pob said,

Are there any companies that manufacture bikes/bike parts in the UK?

Brompton, Moulton, Airnimal, ICE, Mercian?

Don't forget Argos. (and I don't mean the high street shop!)

But then again, aren't all of the above basically frame builders using
overseas componentry?

--
Paul Boydhttp://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Add to this Rourke and Bob Jackson, who make bikes made from Reynolds
953, which is made in this country. On the component side there is
HOPE (Home of Precision Engineering). There was Goldtec, but someone
will have to enlighten me as to wether they are still around.

David Lloyd
Old February 11th 08, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann[_2_]

In message
John Kane wrote:

Paul Boyd wrote:
On 10/02/2008 17:27, bornfree said,

What's "commuting trim"?

Loaded to the gunwales with lunch, mobile phone, daily backup disc,
waterproofs if I'm not wearing them, gloves, scarf and hat if I'm not
wearing them, any bits and pieces I need to bring to/from work, every
tool under the sun in my saddle pack, kitchen sink. All the sort of
stuff I don't need for a trip to the shops. Actually, now I come to
think of it, when I do use it for shopping I stick the front panniers on
as well!

No spare spokes? I think I did a week in France with less. Mind you I
bought lunch.

I never carry spare spokes, I would need at least six sizes, and I only have
26inch wheels. I do keep wondering whether to get an emergency spoke, but can
never find them online.
(Of course if I carried spare spokes, I would also have to carry a sprocket
lockring remover as well, otherwise I would only ever loose driveside
spokes.)

Martin.

Old February 11th 08, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Feb 11, 12:25 pm, David Lloyd wrote:
On 9 Feb, 18:27, wrote:

[...]

AIUI Beetle driversoften greet other beetle drivers in this way. Not
sure if they still do or if it applies to the new ones though. In
parts of rural Ireland it is also quite common to wave to other
drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if this was also the case in the UK
in some areas

best wishes
james
Old February 11th 08, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
David Lloyd tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

Add to this Rourke and Bob Jackson, who make bikes made from Reynolds
953, which is made in this country. On the component side there is
HOPE (Home of Precision Engineering). There was Goldtec, but someone
will have to enlighten me as to wether they are still around.

They are indeed:
http://www.betd.co.uk/result.asp?Cat...s+and+Whe els

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old February 11th 08, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

On 11 Feb, 12:25, David Lloyd wrote:
On 9 Feb, 18:27, wrote:

[...]

David Lloyd- Hide quoted text -

It happens every day, we're a courteous lot, saying "Thank you" for a
small favour helps the day go around whether its waving a pedestrian
across a junction or letting someone out of a side road. Cyclists
never acknowledge though, I wonder why ?
Old February 11th 08, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

On 9 Feb, 18:27, wrote:

[...]

james- Hide quoted text -

Beetle drivers have waved since the 1950s . All 911 drivers do the
same as do some, but not all Boxster drivers.
Old February 11th 08, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

John Kane said the following on 10/02/2008 23:43:

No spare spokes?

Yes - the bike has neat little braze-ons on the left-hand chainstay to
take two spokes. So there :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 11th 08, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Sir Jeremy said the following on 11/02/2008 14:50:

Cyclists never acknowledge though, I wonder why ?

Speak for yourself. I always acknowledge a courtesy, whether it be from
a driver, a pedestrian or another cyclist. Other cyclists I know do the
same.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/