Attitude of fellow cyclists

Old February 11th 08, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Attitude of fellow cyclists

In article , Paul Boyd
usenet.is.worse@plusnet says...
John Kane said the following on 10/02/2008 23:43:

No spare spokes?

Yes - the bike has neat little braze-ons on the left-hand chainstay to
take two spokes. So there :-)

Left chainstay? I thought they put them on the right to protect against
chain slap.
Old February 11th 08, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , Paul Boyd
usenet.is.worse@plusnet says...
John Kane said the following on 10/02/2008 23:43:

No spare spokes?

Yes - the bike has neat little braze-ons on the left-hand chainstay to
take two spokes. So there :-)

Left chainstay? I thought they put them on the right to protect against
chain slap.

I've only ever seen them on the left.

cheers,
clive

Old February 11th 08, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim Ley

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:52:28 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

But as others have pointed out, you need to be associated with a like
minority. Don't get waves and nods in NL except from fellow recumbent
riders. If all cyclists there greeted one another it would be as full a
time job as flashing your headlamps at every car you came across while
driving in the UK.

I did my first serious ride (66km) yseterday in NL (also my first time
on a road bike, and a borrowed one at that - boy were my wrists sore
once I hit the cobbles brick bits back in the city) and I got a number
of nods when out and about, not from everyone at all like if you're
going up Box Hill or something, but at least a number.

Jim.
Old February 11th 08, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Thomson

"Rob Morley" a écrit:

I thought of Carradice, but reckoned they make accessories
rather than bike parts.

I tacked them on at the end, reasoning that no CTC-member's bike is complete
without its Nelson Longflap.

There are also the likes of USE and X-Lite, though I'm not sure how much
actual manufacturing they do in the UK.

The others were serious omissions on my part, even if they
are mostly a bloke in a shed with a couple of machine tools. :-)

Royce is *at least* a couple of guys in a shed...

James Thomson

Old February 11th 08, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Rob Morley said the following on 11/02/2008 16:03:

Left chainstay? I thought they put them on the right to protect against
chain slap.

Uh?? My chain's on the right :-)

Is now a good time to mention that the two spare spokes won't actually
fit my wheels? :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 11th 08, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 11/02/2008 04:19, Rob Morley said,

e.g. mudguards, racks and bags, lights and locks, tools and spares,
change of clothes, paperwork/laptop, lunch ...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the lock. That's probably about 10lbs on
its own!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 12th 08, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann[_2_]

In message
Sir Jeremy wrote:
Oh, I forgot to say that at least this is an issue amongst cyclists.
When was the last time that a motorist waved at another, just to say
'hi' ? It just doesn't happen, does it?

David Lloyd- Hide quoted text -

It happens every day, we're a courteous lot, saying "Thank you" for a
small favour helps the day go around whether its waving a pedestrian
across a junction or letting someone out of a side road. Cyclists
never acknowledge though, I wonder why ?

I often say thanks, but when often if a motorist lets me out, it is when I am
manovering slowly, and I need to keep both hands on the handle bars, to
balance, or I want to accelerate, so I very rarely wave.