Attitude of fellow cyclists

Old February 12th 08, 02:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Attitude of fellow cyclists

On Feb 11, 2:53*pm, Sir Jeremy wrote:
On 11 Feb, 13:12, " wrote:

On Feb 11, 12:25 pm, David Lloyd wrote:

On 9 Feb, 18:27, wrote:

Now I know this will spark a few comments, but I ride a £99 shopper
bike *to get my shopping in, (2000 miles for £99 plus a set of tyres,
cheap, but knackered now so replacement due, so 2000 miles for £150,
no global warming included) I also ride a MTB Marion many pounds more
than £99 and a summer road bike well over a grand. Now in summer on my
expensive bike, good lycra every fellow road cyclist waves, on my MTB
not many on road bikes *wave, on my shopper very few wave. I do put a
hand up or nod to every cyclist, be it child, shopper or the lad out
for a ton mileage. So lads out there on the grand plus bike training,
or out for the ton in 5hrs less, or just shaking off a hangover *(yes
I have done it, 18mph ave, Ok some one will beat that with a
hangover. *Kids!! dont cycle with a hangover) *But give a nod to every
other cyclist be it shopper, granny or child. *You know be it a
cyclist just starting out and 10 miles is hard they need a nod, one
day they will hit the ton.
Now another debate, road lads riding in winter, get a MTB and ride it
in winter down bridleways, its hard, MTB shoes are double the weight
of road shoes, I would say 15 miles off road is same as 12 on road.
To end
So many well known people suc as Matthew (Mr Piano Wire) are anti
cyclist we must promote ourselves as been friendly to each other,
cyling is good,
Col

Oh, I forgot to say that at least this is an issue amongst cyclists.
When was the last time that a motorist waved at another, just to say
'hi' ? It just doesn't happen, does it?

AIUI Beetle driversoften greet other beetle drivers in this way. *Not
sure if they still do or if it applies to the new ones though. *In
parts of rural Ireland it is also quite common to wave to other
drivers. *I wouldn't be surprised if this was also the case in the UK
in some areas

best wishes
james- Hide quoted text -

Beetle drivers have waved since the 1950s . All 911 drivers do the
same as do some, but not all Boxster drivers.- Hide quoted text -

Once a beetle driver... well a few beetles and even a type 2..

I don't even have a car now and I still wave at beetle drivers. And
still get a wave back!

Always makes people smile when u show up in a beetle. My lycra never
has the same effect!
Old February 12th 08, 06:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article 344407f3-e8f2-4025-933a-
,
says...

AIUI Beetle drivers often greet other beetle drivers in this way.

Not just Bugs, but many drivers of 'classic' cars like Moggies (both
types) RWD Triumphs and Fords ...
Old February 12th 08, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In message
Martin Dann wrote:

I often say thanks, but when often if a motorist lets me out, it is when I am
manovering slowly, and I need to keep both hands on the handle bars, to
balance, or I want to accelerate, so I very rarely wave.

I thank whenever possible - voice, smile, raised (appropriately!)
fingers/thumbs, nod; taking hands off bars to thank means I reduce
control of the bike.

--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park
Old February 12th 08, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sara Kirk

In article
,
David Lloyd wrote:

On 9 Feb, 18:27, wrote:
[...]

David Lloyd

It does in a Motorhome :-)

--
Sara

The teeth are free at last! Fly free, young teethies!
Old February 12th 08, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sara Kirk

In article ,
Paul Boyd usenet.is.worse@plusnet wrote:

Sir Jeremy said the following on 11/02/2008 14:50:

Cyclists never acknowledge though, I wonder why ?

Speak for yourself. I always acknowledge a courtesy, whether it be from
a driver, a pedestrian or another cyclist. Other cyclists I know do the
same.

Yup. Me too,

Old February 12th 08, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sara Kirk

In article ,
Martin Dann wrote:

In message
Sir Jeremy wrote:
Oh, I forgot to say that at least this is an issue amongst cyclists.
When was the last time that a motorist waved at another, just to say
'hi' ? It just doesn't happen, does it?

David Lloyd- Hide quoted text -

It happens every day, we're a courteous lot, saying "Thank you" for a
small favour helps the day go around whether its waving a pedestrian
across a junction or letting someone out of a side road. Cyclists
never acknowledge though, I wonder why ?

I often say thanks, but when often if a motorist lets me out, it is when I am
manovering slowly, and I need to keep both hands on the handle bars, to
balance, or I want to accelerate, so I very rarely wave.

Yes, in those circs. a nod and a big beaming smile seems to work quite
well.

Old February 16th 08, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Paul Boyd wrote:

On 10/02/2008 21:37, Roger Merriman said,

40lb sounds rather light though?

Just weighed it - 44lbs, without lunch :-) It is a "Handbuilt
Lightweight Tourer", mind - a proper British Raleigh Randonneur. Bit
overkill for commuting, really!

light weight then! ;-) the big cheap hybrid with marthon pluses big
paniers and a basket and yes i really do use all them. is 48lb without
my work gear and 55lb with.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old February 16th 08, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

Roger Merriman wrote:

Paul Boyd wrote:

On 10/02/2008 21:37, Roger Merriman said,

40lb sounds rather light though?

Just weighed it - 44lbs, without lunch :-) It is a "Handbuilt
Lightweight Tourer", mind - a proper British Raleigh Randonneur. Bit
overkill for commuting, really!

light weight then! ;-) the big cheap hybrid with marthon pluses big
paniers and a basket and yes i really do use all them. is 48lb without
my work gear and 55lb with.

Jings!

More than twice the weight of mine, then, both sans work kit and with it.
About 22lbs without, about 25lbs with. I don't think I'd like to lug 55lbs
over the hill to work!

;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.

Old February 16th 08, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 16/02/2008 10:06, Roger Merriman said,

light weight then! ;-) the big cheap hybrid with marthon pluses big
paniers and a basket and yes i really do use all them. is 48lb without
my work gear and 55lb with.

Basket? Is that with or without front panniers? :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/