OT - Why not 'Buy American'?

Old February 2nd 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

Default OT - Why not 'Buy American'?

"The US Senate should strip a "Buy American" clause from President
Barack
Obama's economic stimulus plan, the chamber's top Republican said
Monday
amid anger at the restriction from US allies."
Can somebody please enlighten me why my taxes should subsidize job
creation
overseas? GOP says that if we do not allow our tax dollars to be spend
on foreign
goods then those governments will retaliate by not buying products
from us and
some hypothetical US jobs will vanish. I keep hearing the same song
and dance
for years now - an in the same time real US jobs are dissapearing. "We
should
not try to protect our jobs because then they will dissapear therefore
we must
give those jobs away. To protect them". Makes absolutely no sense to
me.
Maybe some economist can shed some light on this subject.
Old February 2nd 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Henry[_4_]

On Feb 3, 8:21 am, Woland99 wrote:
[...]

I think it's hard for you to comprehend (sorry, not meaning to be
insulting) but (maybe) you need to live in a tiny wee country (I live
in NZL) to see what the other side of the coin is like. Our country
tries to trade with many countries and when they go and put tax payers
revenue into propping up companies who can't survive without those
funds, they create an unfair playing field for exporters from other
countries. Yes, it's not fair that (particularly, but not only) Asian
countries can produce a product or service for 50% less, but there is
more than your own countries needs to consider on the global stage.
Perhaps a little less spending on the military and hand outs to car
companies and banks ? The USA does consume a fairly large chunk of
the worlds resources.
Old February 2nd 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Big Jim

Perhaps a little less spending on the military

You forget it was the US military and thousands of brave men dying to
keep the Japs out of your "wee country". It is our military today
that is keeping terrorists at bay.

and hand outs to car

companies and banks ?

I and millionsof Americans agree. Obama does not represent America so
please don't let his actions reflect on real Americans. He is likely
not even a natural born citizen and not qualified to hold office.

*The USA does consume a fairly large chunk of

the worlds resources.- Hide quoted text -

We are Americans- the greatest people ever to grace this planet.

Old February 2nd 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Feb 2, 2:21*pm, Woland99 wrote:
[...]

You have treaties such as NAFTA in place. This policy would break
them. Who would enter into any future treaties with you if you break
them so easily?
Old February 2nd 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 2, 11:21*am, Woland99 wrote:
[...]

In 1934 Congress fired the first salvo of a protectionist war. It
increased duties on imported goods to protect American jobs. Other
nations that we traded with responded in kind. World trade ground to
a halt. The result was a loss of jobs in America and all around the
world. This is one of the major factors in turning that depression
into the "Great Depression".

But don't believe me. Educate yourself on the subject. The
information is out there.

Tom
Old February 2nd 09, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 2, 3:26 pm, Big Jim took a break from
listening to Rush Limbaugh and croaked:

Obama does not represent America [...]
He is likely
not even a natural born citizen and not qualified to hold office.

Too much rightwingnut talk radio has made big jim a very dull boy!
Old February 2nd 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 2, 2:27*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Let me follow up a bit on my own statement.

By itself, the "buy American" clause on the stimulus package would be
unlikely to start a trade war. As others have pointed out, treaties
such as NAFTA would prevent that from happening. The danger is the
perception that if the worlds largest economy is taking a
protectionist stance then it is a strong motivation for other nations
(smaller economies) to do the same.

If that occurred the result would be a slowdown in trade and a
potential loss of jobs, exactly the opposite of what we want right
now.

Tom
Old February 3rd 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Henry[_4_]

On Feb 3, 10:26 am, Big Jim wrote:
Perhaps a little less spending on the military

You forget it was the US military and thousands of brave men dying to
keep the Japs out of your "wee country". It is our military today
that is keeping terrorists at bay.

and hand outs to car

companies and banks ?

I and millionsof Americans agree. Obama does not represent America so
please don't let his actions reflect on real Americans. He is likely
not even a natural born citizen and not qualified to hold office.

The USA does consume a fairly large chunk of

the worlds resources.- Hide quoted text -

We are Americans- the greatest people ever to grace this planet.

you have an irrational and myopic view of the USA's place in the
world. Bigger isn't better. Might is not right.
I think you'll find we lost more men (proportionally) than anyone
else in WWII. Hardly the point though.
Mr Obama is a politician, not the 2nd coming.
Old February 3rd 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Big Jim

Because I am an American. God blessed our nation over others. Until
the 1960's-70's when we turned from Him and allowed atheists and
others to destroy our values. Now we are paying the price

Old February 3rd 09, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Big Jim" wrote in message
Because I am an American. God blessed our nation over others. Until
the 1960's-70's when we turned from Him and allowed atheists and
others to destroy our values. Now we are paying the price

Amen to that brother. We should admire the way He has blessed those who
continue to worship Him solemly and obey his laws - Iran, Afghanistan, other
fine upstanding countries. The Taliban are showing us how we should be -
death to the atheists and others who destroy our values!

american are like others test Racing 10 August 17th 07 03:15 AM
I need you help ! American [email protected] Rides 0 August 3rd 07 10:20 AM
O/T: American. Carla A-G Mountain Biking 33 April 11th 06 01:38 PM
an American Andre Racing 11 October 4th 05 01:45 AM
American win in the Giro TT Keith Racing 3 May 16th 05 05:37 AM