Using Old CD's as Reflectors?

Old February 13th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

Default Using Old CD's as Reflectors?

Has anybody figured out a good bicycle-related use for old CD's and DVD's
yet -- perhaps as some type of reflector?

I am one of the gazillion people sitting on a stack of useless discs -- the
results of bad burns or outdated software content -- and I am just waiting
for the ultimate recycling idea to come along.

Old February 13th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 13, 10:47*am, "Papa Tom" wrote:
Has anybody figured out a good bicycle-related use for old CD's and DVD's
yet -- perhaps as some type of reflector?

I am one of the gazillion people sitting on a stack of useless discs -- the
results of bad burns or outdated software content -- and I am just waiting
for the ultimate recycling idea to come along.

use them as ding-disks; fling them at cars that pass too close or
cross into your lane while they pass oncoming traffic- see if you can
ding them
Old February 13th 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Feb 13, 10:47*am, "Papa Tom" wrote:
Has anybody figured out a good bicycle-related use for old CD's and DVD's
yet -- perhaps as some type of reflector?

I am one of the gazillion people sitting on a stack of useless discs -- the
results of bad burns or outdated software content -- and I am just waiting
for the ultimate recycling idea to come along.

I don't think they'd be much good for anything more than decorations,
or keeping your nice mahogany coffee table from getting mug rings.
They are reflective, yes, but not like a retroreflector which reflects
light back to where it came from, they are more like a mirror or a
pond and will reflect the light off somewhere else unless it is
pointed straight at you.

nate
Old February 13th 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

grindum, mix with asphalt, seal ur driveway or fill potholes down at
the park.
Old February 13th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei

In article ,
"Papa Tom" wrote:

Has anybody figured out a good bicycle-related use for old CD's and DVD's
yet -- perhaps as some type of reflector?

I am one of the gazillion people sitting on a stack of useless discs -- the
results of bad burns or outdated software content -- and I am just waiting
for the ultimate recycling idea to come along.

Not bicycle-related but at least road-related: I often see them swinging
in the breeze, hanging from tree branches or metal posts, where roads
pass through a forest. I think the idea is that a reflection from
headlights will help keep a deer from crossing the road as a car
approaches at night.

Ned in Zurich
Old February 14th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Grange

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:47:26 -0500, "Papa Tom"
wrote:

Has anybody figured out a good bicycle-related use for old CD's and DVD's
yet -- perhaps as some type of reflector?

I am one of the gazillion people sitting on a stack of useless discs -- the
results of bad burns or outdated software content -- and I am just waiting
for the ultimate recycling idea to come along.

Not bicycle related, but I saw several Wannado installation CD's
strung between fruit trees as bird scarers in a garden in France a few
years ago. Whether they worked, and if they did whether the content
affected their efficiency I don't know.
Old February 14th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
PatTX[_2_]

Papa Tom wrote:
:: Has anybody figured out a good bicycle-related use for old CD's and
:: DVD's yet -- perhaps as some type of reflector?
::
:: I am one of the gazillion people sitting on a stack of useless discs
:: -- the results of bad burns or outdated software content -- and I am
:: just waiting for the ultimate recycling idea to come along.

Hang them on your tomato plants to keep birds from pecking the fruit.

Pat

Old February 14th 09, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 13, 8:47*am, "Papa Tom" wrote:
Has anybody figured out a good bicycle-related use for old CD's and DVD's
yet -- perhaps as some type of reflector?

I am one of the gazillion people sitting on a stack of useless discs -- the
results of bad burns or outdated software content -- and I am just waiting
for the ultimate recycling idea to come along.

I would imagine if you stepped in some doggy's 'gift' on a retro ride
you could use one to clean out your TA cleats...

tf
Old February 14th 09, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 13, 9:47*am, "Papa Tom" wrote:
Has anybody figured out a good bicycle-related use for old CD's and DVD's
yet -- perhaps as some type of reflector?

I am one of the gazillion people sitting on a stack of useless discs -- the
results of bad burns or outdated software content -- and I am just waiting
for the ultimate recycling idea to come along.

In 1989, I was at the Grand Canyon visitors center, and they
recommended old CDs as emergency reflectors in your backpack if you
were going down into the canyon.
Old February 14th 09, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sergio

On 13 Feb, 19:59, Ned Mantei wrote:
Not bicycle-related but at least road-related: I often see them swinging
in the breeze, hanging from tree branches or metal posts, where roads
pass through a forest. I think the idea is that a reflection from
headlights will help keep a deer from crossing the road as a car
approaches at night.
Ned in Zurich

I have seen them hanging from trees and from fence posts on the side
of roads in the Simmenthal region, and wondered what they were for. I
fancied they might be like the flags in the Himalaya.

Sergio
Pisa
(just back from Chamues-ch )

The police officer defined Skoll's crime as "pasing out 9-11 CD's" on his citation ticket. War Office Australia 2 November 11th 07 12:54 PM
forget reflectors Zebee Johnstone Australia 18 November 19th 06 07:56 AM
Beware of reflectors D.M. Procida UK 44 September 1st 06 01:55 PM
Reflectors and the Law Mark Thompson UK 27 February 17th 06 11:51 AM
Training Tapes/CD's Review File Colorado Bicycler General 0 November 11th 05 01:30 PM