Inexpensive bike that can do both on and off road.

Old February 24th 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Inexpensive bike that can do both on and off road.

Hi,

I want a bike for both on road touring and off road. I plan to bike
around Europe this spring and summer, including doing the 1000 km off
road pilgrimage route via de plata in spain. So a lot of my riding
will necessarily be on road, since most of europe is on road, but I
don't like traffic so I intend to search out off road trails too, the
via de plata being one.

Can anyone suggest a bike which will be good for both? Something for
about 600 bucks? I don't understand why bikes are so expensive, the
good ones are supposed to cost 2 and 3 grand, you can get a used car
for 4 grand! Were bikes always this expensive?!

Is there a new bike that can do both on road and off that I can get
for 600 bucks? Maybe something from costco?

What about getting a used mountain bike and outfitting it with some
new equipment to make it suitable? What type of used bike should I get
and what type of equipment should I get to upgrade it?

I plan to take panier bags with camping equipment too.

Thanks
Old February 24th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
PatTX[_2_]

Albert, from where are you starting on your trip? If in Europe, maybe you
should buy a bike there and save on the airline fees.

Pat