Cheap 16 gram cartridges

Old October 10th 03, 04:24 AM
Steve

Default Cheap 16 gram cartridges

I have an Innovations inflator. I got tired of paying $3+ for 16 gram
Innovations cartridges. I thought I was smart purchasing 16 gram
cartridges for around $1 each at an online beer supply house, when I found
that the Innovations inflator opening was too small to accept regular
cartridges.

So, I had a die wrench, purchased a 10mm x 1.0 die, and threaded the end of
the inexpensive cartridges. Worked like a charm.

Please be very careful if you attempt this. Put the cartridge in a large
vise fixed to a bench, wear safety goggles, and do not stand in front of the
die wrench... just in case.

Steve

Old October 10th 03, 05:05 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

So, I had a die wrench, purchased a 10mm x 1.0 die, and threaded the end
of
the inexpensive cartridges. Worked like a charm.

Please be very careful if you attempt this. Put the cartridge in a large
vise fixed to a bench, wear safety goggles, and do not stand in front of

the
die wrench... just in case.

Those cartridges aren't beefed up enough to withstand threading, and I sure
as heck wouldn't want to be sitting on a saddle if one of those modified air
cartridges was in my seat bag and decided to become shrapnel. Not to
mention the dangers in actually threading one... safety glasses might
protect your eyes, but if one of those were to blow its top off, you'd
better be wearing a flak jacket.

If saving $$$ is really that important, use 12g unthreaded cartridges (and
an appropriate inflator). Even if you have to use two of them, they're
still less-expensive than the 16g threaded variety. And if you want to save
a whole lot of $$$, buy them in 25-packs from a gun shop or sporting-goods
store. And if you want to save even more $$$, use a hand pump.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old October 10th 03, 11:40 AM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 23:24:56 -0400, "Steve"
wrote:

I have an Innovations inflator. I got tired of paying $3+ for 16 gram
Innovations cartridges.

How many flats do you get?

For an extra $2 each, my time is worth more than the effort. I'm
having a bad year if I get 3 flats a year in 3-4000 miles of a
combination of on and off-road riding.

Barry
Old October 10th 03, 12:10 PM
Tim McTeague

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

How many flats do you get?

For an extra $2 each, my time is worth more than the effort. I'm
having a bad year if I get 3 flats a year in 3-4000 miles of a
combination of on and off-road riding.

My feelings exactly. I often wonder why people go through so much trouble
to save a dollar. I rarely have one flat a year anymore. About a decade
ago I typically had 3 or 4. I guess tires are better or I am just more
careful. It's not worth my time to seek out slightly cheaper cartridges,
not to mention the thought of having to thread cheap 12gram models. Is the
value of their time that insignificant? I just started using CO2 last year
when I got a new Seven Axiom. The Blackburn frame pump would rattle a bit
on this frame. I tried a Zefal and it rapped the toptube on each bump in
the road. So I went to CO2 and have still not had a flat so I have not been
able to test it in combat situations. I did, however, "burn" a cartridge to
test it out and make sure I knew how to use it.

Tim McTeague

Old October 10th 03, 04:42 PM
Steve Knight

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 23:24:56 -0400, "Steve" wrote:

I have an Innovations inflator. I got tired of paying $3+ for 16 gram
Innovations cartridges. I thought I was smart purchasing 16 gram
cartridges for around $1 each at an online beer supply house, when I found
that the Innovations inflator opening was too small to accept regular
cartridges.

3.00 is cheep my store has them for 7.99
but my pump can use both threaded and unthreaded and I got my 12 gram at walmart
15 for 7.89

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 10th 03, 06:04 PM
DiabloScott

Tim McTeague wrote:
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:
[...]

Same reason I stopped trying to patch tubes - a flat tire costs me $5
for a tube and 75¢ for a CO2 cart (if I fix it on the road). I can't
remember the last time I had two flats on the same ride but I carry 3
carts and 2 tubes most of the time anyway. 12g unthreaded carts seem to
be much more popular at the sporting goods stores (therefore much
cheaper than other types) so switching to an inflator that can use that
type will save money in the long run. Total four flats this year, one
happened at home (goathead) - I spent $22.25 on flat tire repair for the
whole year.

--
Check out my bike blog!

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

Old October 10th 03, 06:36 PM
Bob M

On 11 Oct 2003 02:54:12 +0950, DiabloScott
wrote:

Tim McTeague wrote:
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:
[...]

I've also given up on patching tubes. However, I do carry a patch kit and
keep the tube with the hole. I never know when calamity will strike (and
has struck) and gives me too many holes for the amount of tubes (generally
1) I carry.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old October 10th 03, 07:29 PM
Matt O'Toole

"DiabloScott" wrote in message

Same reason I stopped trying to patch tubes - a flat tire costs me $5
for a tube and 75¢ for a CO2 cart (if I fix it on the road). I can't
remember the last time I had two flats on the same ride but I carry 3
carts and 2 tubes most of the time anyway. 12g unthreaded carts seem to
be much more popular at the sporting goods stores (therefore much
cheaper than other types) so switching to an inflator that can use that
type will save money in the long run. Total four flats this year, one
happened at home (goathead) - I spent $22.25 on flat tire repair for the
whole year.

I spent only a few pennies, leaving that $22.95 for another nice dinner.

Matt O.

Old October 11th 03, 12:30 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Total four flats this year, one
happened at home (goathead) - I spent $22.25 on flat tire repair for the
whole year.

I spent only a few pennies, leaving that $22.95 for another nice dinner.

Ah yes, but that might have been four dinners you got home a little bit late
for... and in my house, $22.95 wouldn't even begin to cover the damage!

Having said that, I must admit that on those rare instances I get a flat, I
typically patch the tube... simply because I can. No air cartridges though,
just a regular hand pump (Blackburn AirStik), because I don't like the idea
of a finite amount of air and often help out others that I come across with
flat tires.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Old October 11th 03, 01:18 AM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:36:22 GMT, Bob M wrote:
Same reason I stopped trying to patch tubes - a flat tire costs me $5
for a tube and 75¢ for a CO2 cart (if I fix it on the road). I can't
remember the last time I had two flats on the same ride but I carry 3
carts and 2 tubes most of the time anyway. 12g unthreaded carts seem to

I've also given up on patching tubes. However, I do carry a patch kit and
keep the tube with the hole. I never know when calamity will strike (and
has struck) and gives me too many holes for the amount of tubes (generally
1) I carry.

Both of you might be able to save a little money by just
replacing the tube on the road, as you do, but patch
the old one when you get home.

It's cheap either way.
--
Rick Onanian