California law about E-bike use for 70 and above?

Old October 19th 17, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default California law about E-bike use for 70 and above?

On 2017-10-19 13:40, Doug Landau wrote:

My purely pedal-powered MTB is by now well above 40lbs with tool kit and
all. Plus usually several large stainless thermos bottles with water.
Plus occasionally one with homebrew IPA in there. The battery for the
lights weighs a bit as well and needed an "impact-proof" ABS enclosure.

It's full suspension so I had to modify the back in a way that it looks
more like the rear end of a dirt bike, in order to be able to pack stuff
for longer rides. The regular single-boom racks don't work because the
boom will buckle during hard rides and be too hard on the seat tube welds.

Alright, alright, alright. Let's see a pic of this POS already, Esé

Have to get my camera going again. It quit after the last MTB ride, it
is mechancially nearing its end. This is the bike before the mod:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy3.JPG

Now there is a diagonal U-shaped strut mid-tube to under the panniers, a
large machined clamp around the middle of the seat tube (in the
triangle), the electrical box (for lighting, music, etc.) is smaller and
now on that strut, and there is an additional top trunk.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 24th 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Old October 24th 17, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2017-10-19 13:40, Doug Landau wrote:

[...]

You'd show more appreciation if you'd picked up a few 40-oz
hammers on tour.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 24th 17, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-10-19 13:40, Doug Landau wrote:

[...]

I picked it up! I tucked it under a bungee, resumed pedaling, changed my mind after 5 or 10 seconds, and returned it to the gutter.

But back to Joerg's bike, well, I expected to see something a little more chitty-chitty-bang-bang
Old October 24th 17, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2017-10-19 13:40, Doug Landau wrote:

[...]

Such as more bunjis and plastic bags maybe?

https://101quickandeasysecrets.files...ss_bicycle.jpg

Old October 24th 17, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-19 13:40, Doug Landau wrote:

[...]

Camera works. Here it is:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy4.JPG

The mod has proven itself over about 1000mi, most of them hard miles,
with heavy loads. The top trunk addition is fairly new, since about
200mi, but works well also. It sometimes carries homebrew IPA :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

On 2017-10-19 13:40, Doug Landau wrote:

[...]

I was expecting a crossbar on the handlebars

https://www.google.com/search?q=1981..._mdI6aHbXM0LM:
Old October 24th 17, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-10-19 13:40, Doug Landau wrote:

[...]

That is starting to took like a suitable contraption. Have you considered tire wipers and orange whip flag or a 2m radio antennae
Old October 24th 17, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-19 13:40, Doug Landau wrote:

[...]

Tire wipers are provided by the forest service around here, in the form
of a brush on a cable. No kidding, there are boundaries where you must.

An antenna mount maybe some day when I get back into ham radio. Both
bikes have on-board batteries which makes this easier.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/