Who here has the Sun 28” uni?

Old December 25th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

Default Who here has the Sun 28” uni?

I wouldn't expect it to be a problem to downsize the tyre by a few mm
like that.

However, why?

Most people seem to prefer the fattest tyre they can get, rather than
the thinnest. It makes sense for a number of reasons.

Personally, and it's only me, my 700c unicycles have a 23 mm tyre and a
28 mm tyre respectively. The 23mm in particular has to be ridden at
high pressure - around 120 - 130 psi which I think is about 8 or 9
bar.

Fat soft tyres make for more manageable, faster, more versatile unis.

--
Mikefule

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that most people don't.

Old December 25th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Saul_nova

I’ll find out if I need to shorten it when the time comes. If I don’t
have to shorten the frame, that’s great. But if I do have to, I’ll be
glad that I won’t then need to track down a seatpost clamp of the
proper size. The promo info for this uni on unicycle.com say that the
rider needs to have at least a 32” inseam (it also says that people who
are 5’3” can ride it, which I’d say contradicts their inseam statement,
enormously). I’ve read various accounts of people needing to shorten
their Sun 28 frame, so I won’t be surprized if I’ll end up having to do
it too. Doesna seem like a big deal for me, fortunately. I’m looking
forward to a cheap, versitile ride.

--
Saul_nova
Saul_nova's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13988

Old December 26th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Saul_nova

Mikefule wrote:
I wouldn't expect it to be a problem to downsize the tyre by a few mm
like that.

However, why?

Most people seem to prefer the fattest tyre they can get, rather than
the thinnest. It makes sense for a number of reasons.

Personally, and it's only me, my 700c unicycles have a 23 mm tyre and a
28 mm tyre respectively. The 23mm in particular has to be ridden at
high pressure - around 120 - 130 psi which I think is about 8 or 9
bar.

Fat soft tyres make for more manageable, faster, more versatile unis.

The trouble is that the tire which comes stock on the Sun 28, judging
from the promotional photo at least, is that it’s a holdover from a
knobby dirtbike, or something. I won't be riding this wheel off of the
pavement, so I want the slickest tire that fits the rim. Hopefully I
will be able to find a wider slick tire, but the 32c is the widest size
that I've seen so far.

Old December 26th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zfreak220

i know a lot of 29er riders like the schwalbe big apple, its not
entirely slick, but you should consider it.

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=674

--
zfreak220

certified curb hopper 11-23-06

iridemymuni wrote:
i think everybody agrees when i say you lucky son of a bitch

zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948

Old December 26th 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Saul_nova

I think I’m going to go with the 'Continental City Contact'
(http://www.biketiresdirect.com/Image...7/COCIT-1.jpg). It has a
nice, slick section up the middle and comes in sizes up to
700x54/28x2.21.

Too bad I can’t buy real slicks in this width. There are even true
slick BMX tires available in this width.

Old December 26th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

mornish wrote:
um, how tall are you? I'm 4' 10" and can easily ride one of these. I
can ride a 36" too.

you might not have to shorten it.

mornish

ivan wrote:
I believe in the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

mscalisi wrote:
wait...invisible AND pink?

'please... help save flightline'
(http://www.rideflightline.com/save_the_trails.html)
msn: mornish AT gmail DOT com
aim: kiloornish
email: mornish AT gmail DOT com
ace bandages rock my socks

Old January 5th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

Saul_nova wrote:
Yeah, they’re both good enough terms. Didn’t mean to sound like I was
trying to correct you.

Hello Saul, No problem. I have noticed that 'seat tube' is the better
term to use. Thank you.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken ... a recreational unicyclist... Please wear a helmet!
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501