Adults Who Ride with their Children are Losers

Old July 28th 09, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

Default Adults Who Ride with their Children are Losers

On Jul 27, 10:59*pm, Ben Trovato wrote:
On Jul 27, 8:30*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ld-girl-killed...

Even if the kid has a mellon cap how can any adult who rides with a
child on the back guarantee they won't crash? *Since pros crash on
routine training rides all the time even when by themselves (Landis), on
what basis do adults with little bike riding experience and spaz-level
Booby Jew-lick skills and no racing experience whatsoever take their
children with them on the back of a bike?

This just reinforces whenever I see an adult riding a bike with their
kid in one of those child seats on the back...I think "What a ****ing
A-hole - he can't guarantee he won't stack it and turn the kid into a
Saul Raisin mellonhead."

Please discuss.

Thanks,

Magilla

Simple Simian,
you'll love this one, then:http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb.../20090726/NEWS...

citizen of the year.
Old July 28th 09, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Anton Berlin wrote:
On Jul 27, 9:59 pm, Ben Trovato wrote:
[...]

you'll love this one, then:http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...90726/NEWS...- Hide quoted text -

I've always wondered if rode with an AK strapped to my back would the
cars honk less? I bet this wouldn't have happened

I doubt Kloden would find it comfortable. Your man-crush Magilla might
though.
Old July 28th 09, 10:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

Fred Fredburger wrote:
I don't have my dictionary handy ... does "surreal" mean fat?

http://slog.thestranger.com/files/2006/09/botero.jpg

Old July 28th 09, 10:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 19:59:01 -0700 (PDT), Ben Trovato
wrote:

[...]

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...EWS01/90726028

Finally, someone who cares about children.

Old July 28th 09, 10:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:48:44 -0700, Fred Fredburger
wrote:

Uncle Dave wrote:

It
took us about ten minutes through a deserted weekend commercial
district (odd place to put museums but there you go) and we saw not
one single person on foot or in any non-motorised vehicle. I
sometimes think Dali must have invented the USA it's so ****ing
surreal ;-)

I don't have my dictionary handy ... does "surreal" mean fat?

"I’m appalled by people my age who can’t get through the airport
without a wheelchair."
From
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/ny...l?ref=nyregion
Old July 28th 09, 10:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:55:18 -0700 (PDT), Anton Berlin
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, damned liberals preventing open carry and keeping our children
safe.

Old July 28th 09, 11:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On 27 jul, 20:27, MagillaGorilla wrote:
bar wrote:
On Jul 27, 12:32*pm, Texan in Belgium wrote:
Its certain that you have never been to Europe.

europe has nothing to do with. get over yourself. strapping kids into
these little cages and then cruising out into traffic is just stupid
(whether of not you're a Fred).

they should charge the idiot father in that article with murder.

This is the correct answer. *Can you imagine being the frightened child
who is strapped to the bike seat while Booby Jew-lick is the pilot...you
just know he's gonna stack it in the turn and crack the kid's mellon open
on the curb like a Saul Raisin bad dream.

Magilla

Can you please explain your comment Booby "Jew-lick". I´m new to
posting on this group, but it appears to me that you are including a
racist slur to your post. I actually agree with you about kids on
bikes, but you have a nasty way of expressing yourself that is most
disturbing. Am I wrong, am I the only one here who noticed this? If I
am wrong I apologize, but I think you might choose your words a little
more carefully.
Old July 28th 09, 12:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 13:02:02 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Dave
wrote:

Having kids on the back is quite normal out here in the civilised
world, though I can see why you'd think it a trifle dangerous in the
USA.

His point is still valid. I've seen parents park their bikes on
kickstands with the kids still in the seats. And go into a store. Too
many of them have no clue. A tourist would check more carefully on a
static load half the size before leaving.

If you have a kid, a two wheel trailer attached to a proper bike will
not break the bank, not nearly as much as the concussion will. OTOH,
the trailer won't get you through the guard rails any quicker.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old July 28th 09, 12:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:26:28 GMT, Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT
wrote:

"I’m appalled by people my age who can’t get through the airport
without a wheelchair."
From
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/ny...l?ref=nyregion

Just an extension of the standing while climbing thread. Its more
efficient to sit and they get their own places on the airplane.

I'm appalled by simplistic, tasteless oversimplifications about
people in wheelchairs. Things like that belong on rbr.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old July 28th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:17:34 -0700, "marco"
wrote:

That said, I fondly remember Rory O'Reilly out on our group rides with a
tricked out tandem that had a crankset at the TOP of the rear seat tube and
a very young Cody O'Reilly riding on the back with his tiny little legs. I
think he even drilled and tapped pedal holes halfway down the crank arms so
Cody could turn reasonable size circles.

He might have done it himself, but much easier to just buy the kits,
which seem to have been around about a year after tandems first came
out. Certainly it was a common modification at least since the early
50s, available from several manufacturers. Stronglight had a crank
with about five holes to open up the spin circle as the kid grew,
among others. As much a part of tandem groups as matching jerseys.

The difference is, of course, that as a tandem captain you know
whether the nominal stoker can balance and the stoker gets feedback as
well to try to balance. A kid in a seat is a different matter. It took
laws over here to make seats so the dumbasses would not attach them so
the kids put their feet in the spokes.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...