The Great Don Quijote of RBM!

Old August 5th 07, 06:10 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

Default The Great Don Quijote of RBM!

In article ,
Michael Press writes:

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with
the
average voter."

WINSTON CHURCHILL

"Democracy becomes a government of bullies tempered by editors."
-- R. W. Emerson

There seems to be tons of democracy quotes. Rather than doing battling
quotes I suggest all those interested Google "democracy quotes" and groove
on their own personal favorites.

People get the government they deserve.

Chileans didn't deserve Pinochet.
Ugandans didn't deserve Idi Amin.
Sudan doesn't deserve whatever the
hell they've got.

Pakistan didn't deserve to lose democratically-elected,
progressive Benazir Bhutto, to be undemocratically
replaced/displaced by Musharraf, who encouraged the
development of H-bombs -- H-BOMBS!! -- and presides over
the country in which 0sama Bin Laden currently cowers.
What the hell happened there?

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old August 5th 07, 07:21 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling

On Aug 3, 7:49 am, "Keats" wrote:

(snip)

How did anyone on this planet survive for those millions of years before the
invention of under arm deodorant and automobile air conditioners?

So THAT'S why the dinosaurs died out...

Mark

Old August 5th 07, 11:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"still me" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 23:06:58 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

There has hardly ever been a democracy in the history of the world (even
the
ancient Greek city states did not give any note to the slaves that made
their society possible). What we have are republican forms of governance
where we elect representatives to govern us. I would not have it any other
way. If you would like to see democracy in action go to a Vermont town
hall
meeting sometime and you will come away utterly opposed to true democracy.
It is a recipe for never getting anything done.

Actually, lots gets done at town meetings in the NorthEast. Typically
those with power and influence prevail over what's right... or any
proposal that will lower taxes in any way, regardless of the effect on
the town, state, populace, or quality of life (note that the lowering
of taxes is always linked to a proposal from someone with power and
influence to fill their pockets).

All most of us can ever do is vote for the best candidate who will most
honestly represent our interests. Democracy is not a perfect form of
governance; it is just that it is better than all those other forms of
governance.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old August 5th 07, 03:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
donquijote1954

wrote:

[...]

Hey Great Ed, let me correct you there if I may, since I bow to
knowledge, but there are democracies and "democracies"... See for
example Mexico, Canada and the USA all have democracies, but some are
better than others. I say, half jokingly, that many of the problems
that America has could be solved if the capital were relocated to
Ottawa... Yes, it would go against the patriotic feelings of many
hardcore fellow-Americans, but you would have fewer wars and
healthcare for one. Regrettably, I see all sliding down toward Mexican
style politics. Then we could replace the eagle for a...

http://www.lubbockonline.com/images/..._chihuahua.jpg

Old August 5th 07, 04:23 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

America is the number one super power in the world. We are not Canada or
Mexico. Maybe you would like to emigrate to Costa Rica where you could enjoy
being submerged in mediocrity.

By the way, a great nation will always be engaged in warfare. Again, if you
want peace, I recommend Costa Rica,.

Old August 5th 07, 07:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Keats

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

Here in NYC there is a plan in place to have bike lanes that run through
all five boroughs.

Most of the urban bike lanes I've seen don't seem to make sense and look
dangerous to me. I avoid them when I can.

In White Plains, where I live, they couldn't get the votes for bike lanes.
The compromise was putting up signs that say "Bike Route". Some of these
signs are in the absolute worst place to cycle. I was on the "Bike Route"
when I got hit and sustained an injury which essentially ended my cycling.

To what extent I wonder do non-cyclist pay attention to Bike Route signs.
As a cyclist they don't make me feel safer.

Old August 5th 07, 07:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_110_]

(Not Tom) Keats who? wrote:
"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

Here in NYC there is a plan in place to have bike lanes that run through
all five boroughs.

Most of the urban bike lanes I've seen don't seem to make sense and look
dangerous to me. I avoid them when I can....

Exactly. Click on the "facility of the month" button here to see some
particularly egregious examples:
http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/.

Old August 5th 07, 08:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Ken the Troll

Default We Have a President That Rides A Bike Now!

Unfortunately we have a President who rides a bicycle, but its a
mountain bike, which are ridden by people with a "macho" complex who
are more interested in tearing up the environment than protecting it.
He seems to prefer being hauled up to the top of a big hill and then
coasts his way down, much as he seems to have done in college and in
the university, and then calls that getting his exercise.

If you want a better President next time you have to 1) contribute to
those candidates that hold the same values as you do, 2) volunteer to
work on their local campaign staff and then try to influence you
neighbors, 3) vote in the primary or attend your caucus, 4) become a
delegate to the national convention of your party [I hope the hell it
isn't Republican - after 16 years of living under a Rethug government
in Michigan], 5) continue to campaign and contribute to the candidate
who is closest to your point of view, 6) vote early and then work with
your candidate's committee to get out the vote. If you don't do this
then don't complain about the people who get elected.

I only vote for candidates who have a record of supporting cycling
friendly bills and programs while they had office. We can bitch all we
want of newsgroups like this, but unless we get active and elect
people who support our causes we will continue to get "Bike Route"
signs instead of designated bike lanes, paths, etc. and we will
continue to see our brothers and sisters killed by "distracted" ( -
"sun blinded" or what ever other excuse used to excuse the drivers who
use their two to six ton gas pigs to kill us) drivers.

As Pogo used to say "We have met the enemy and it is us!"

Ken the Troll (living below - South - of the Mighty Mackinaw Bridge)

Old August 5th 07, 08:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_111_]

"Ken the Troll" wrote:
I only vote for candidates who have a record of supporting cycling
friendly bills and programs while they had office. We can bitch all we
want of newsgroups like this, but unless we get active and elect
people who support our causes we will continue to get "Bike Route"
signs instead of designated bike lanes, paths, etc. and we will
continue to see our brothers and sisters killed by "distracted" ( -
"sun blinded" or what ever other excuse used to excuse the drivers who
use their two to six ton gas pigs to kill us) drivers.

Some of us do NOT view "designated bike lanes, paths, etc." as cyclist
friendly facilities (for reasons that have been posted very recently on
these groups, so I will not repeat the argument here).

What is needed are traditional grid neighborhoods, as opposed to
cul-de-sac dead ends emptying onto major arterials that characterize so
much of post-WW2 US suburban development, vigorous prosecution of
motorists who harass and/or strike cyclists, fuel taxes that reflect the
true cost of motor vehicle use, and lower overall population.

None of the above is easy to implement, since society at large is
ignorant of the potential benefits.

Old August 5th 07, 10:19 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
A Muzi

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
Some of us do NOT view "designated bike lanes, paths, etc." as cyclist
friendly facilities (for reasons that have been posted very recently on
these groups, so I will not repeat the argument here).

What is needed are traditional grid neighborhoods, as opposed to
cul-de-sac dead ends emptying onto major arterials that characterize so
much of post-WW2 US suburban development, vigorous prosecution of
motorists who harass and/or strike cyclists, fuel taxes that reflect the
true cost of motor vehicle use, and lower overall population.

None of the above is easy to implement, since society at large is
ignorant of the potential benefits.

I agree with Tom. Twice today.

--
Andrew Muzi