The infamous Maggie

Old April 7th 05, 03:42 AM
psycholist

Default The infamous Maggie

I just dropped in to see if it was another slow newsday in rec.bicycles.misc
and I see that Maggie is dissing people who have the audacity to wear ...
(hushed gasp) ... cycling-specific clothing like Lance would wear.

Further, I see where she says anyone wearing Lycra in Essex County is likely
to get their ass kicked ... or some such thing.

Well, I've read enough of Maggie's posts over the last several months to
figure she's just having a bad day. At least I hope so. Maggie, what were
you thinking?

Listen, dear ... I don't know a thing about Essex County. I live in
Abbeville County, South Carolina. This is where Lake Secession is located
.... that lake being named for the place where folks assembled and decided to
break away from the Union. This is the home and birthplace of the stars and
bars. I ride darned close to 50 miles a day on roads dotted with rusted out
trailers with tattered confederate flags on poles and pit bull terriers
straining at their ropes in the front yards. Here, people don't care to
count much beyond 3 (Dale Ernhart's number) and don't have many more teeth.
I ride and train on these roads daily. I wear whatever jersey is the
cheapest thing on closeout. I don't know who Motorex is, but I'm wearing
their team kit now 'cuz it was on sale for $29 in the Nashbar catalog a
couple of months ago. I also wear some nice Hincapie gear 'cuz Rich
Hincapie gave it to me, personally. I ride hard 'cuz that's the way I like
to ride. Period. (I hate it when people who like to ride slow try to tell
me I don't ride right 'cuz I like to ride fast ... but that seems to happen
all the time. I never see people who ride fast telling people who ride slow
that they don't ride right. It's always the other way around.) I wear
"real" cycling gear 'cuz it facilitates riding hard and being a bit more
aerodynamic and wicking away sweat, etc. I wear "real" cycling shoes 'cuz
they're pretty much essential to proper pedaling mechanics if you care
anything about pedaling efficiency. (Also, if you've never worn a pair of
Sidi cycling shoes ... well, my friend, you're missing out.)

Now, I've dissed all these people amongst whom I ride everyday and I
shouldn't have because the fact is, I've gotten to know many of them.
They're wonderful people. Though I'm riding hard, I wave to every one of
them I see. I've gotten to know them and vice versa. One interesting thing
I've found is that quite a few of them are like the folks in the book "The
Millionairre Next Door." Their little trailer sits on 250 acres and they've
got 200 head of cattle ... and no debt. Many of them are WAY smarter than
the idiots racing around in BMWs with mountains of debt that I knew when I
lived in places like Chicago and Kansas City. And not a single one of them
has ever said a thing to me about being lycra-clad or having shaved legs.
Apparently it bothers you, but not them. What's that about?

I'll ride the way I want to ride and wear what I want to wear when I'm doing
it. I hope that's the answer you get from the guy when you stop him and ask
what his story is.

So what's your story? Who do you think you are?

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Old April 7th 05, 04:35 AM
Bob

psycholist wrote:
[...]

Damn, guy! Four paragraphs to respond to what was I'm sure, even though
you don't quote it, Maggie's playful teasing?
On the subject of shaved legs and lycra let's be honest, ok? Some
people (I don't think Maggie is among them but it really doesn't matter
even if she is) DO question the sexual orientation of any male that not
only wears spandex but also shaves his legs. So what? Personally
speaking, the day I start giving a rat's ass about what people think of
me is the day I'll leave law enforcement and join the fire department.
Everybody likes those guys. ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old April 7th 05, 04:44 AM
Ken Pisichko

psycholist wrote:

I'll ride the way I want to ride and wear what I want to wear when I'm doing
it. I hope that's the answer you get from the guy when you stop him and ask
what his story is.

So what's your story? Who do you think you are?

Hi.

I am a Canadian taxpaying citizen and some time ago I had a "legal encounter" -
in Federal Court with some Canada Customs fellows who stepped over their
authority. At least that was my allegation in my statement of claim.

In discussions regarding what they and I could and could not do, my lawyer
said: they are creatures of statute and are legally bound to do ONLY what the
law allows them to. Otherwise there are legal consequences (that they now find
themselves in).

OTOH, you, Ken, are NOT a creature of statute and can do whatever you wish - as
long as the law does not prohibit/prevent you from doing so.

It sounds that in your neck of the woods, YOU are also a NOT a creature of
statute - hence your commentary.

I'll bet that even Maggie is not a creature of statute. Being so naturally
allows BOTH of you to also express your opinions.
And both of you have!
Let us all ride on - to merriment and FUN!!

Old April 7th 05, 04:47 AM
jj

On 6 Apr 2005 20:35:53 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

Damn, guy! Four paragraphs to respond to what was I'm sure, even though
you don't quote it, Maggie's playful teasing?
On the subject of shaved legs and lycra let's be honest, ok? Some
people (I don't think Maggie is among them but it really doesn't matter
even if she is) DO question the sexual orientation of any male that not
only wears spandex but also shaves his legs. So what? Personally
speaking, the day I start giving a rat's ass about what people think of
me is the day I'll leave law enforcement and join the fire department.
Everybody likes those guys. ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

I thought BobC.s story was cool, at least the first part about riding in SC
and the rustic settings...

But shaving your rat's ass...dayum, skippy that's another thing. ;-D

jj

Old April 7th 05, 05:28 AM
Bill Sornson

**************
OTOH, you, Ken, are NOT a creature of statute and can do whatever you
wish - as long as the law does not prohibit/prevent you from doing so.

**************
It sounds that in your neck of the woods, YOU are also a NOT a
creature of statute - hence your commentary.

I'll bet that even Maggie is not a creature of statute. Being so
naturally allows BOTH of you to also express your opinions.
And both of you have!
Let us all ride on - to merriment and FUN!!

*** But...but..YOU are Ken! I'm so confused...

Old April 7th 05, 06:02 AM
Michael

psycholist wrote:

[...]

Were we reading the same Maggie? Hmmm ...

While I don't do "centuries" (wassat anyway? Hunnert feet?) or scores or even
decades, I do a fair amount of spinning (500-600 miles/year) for a guy of my age
and weight. I have no axe to grind with any cyclist, by any stretch of the
imagination. But in my neck o' the woods only the kind of folk who ride, say,
500 miles/week wear spandex. Clips; spiffy space age helmets, spandex
(especially in gaudy colors) ..... they all draw stares and gazes because ....
are you ready for this? .... because they're unusual.
Old April 7th 05, 06:35 AM
GaryG

"Michael" wrote in message
psycholist wrote:

[...]

OK...whatever.

But, would you start a new thread in this newsgroup (which is, after all,
dedicated to cycling) just to point out the "strange sighting" you had of a
guy wearing cycling clothes, and riding a bike in your town?

The more I think about it, the more I think Maggie is really just a
troll...if she's not, she's terminally clueless, or lacks all ability to
communicate effectively.

GG

Old April 7th 05, 06:44 AM
jj

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 05:02:23 GMT, Michael wrote:

Were we reading the same Maggie? Hmmm ...

While I don't do "centuries" (wassat anyway? Hunnert feet?) or scores or even
decades, I do a fair amount of spinning (500-600 miles/year) for a guy of my age
and weight. I have no axe to grind with any cyclist, by any stretch of the
imagination. But in my neck o' the woods only the kind of folk who ride, say,
500 miles/week wear spandex. Clips; spiffy space age helmets, spandex
(especially in gaudy colors) ..... they all draw stares and gazes because ....
are you ready for this? .... because they're unusual.

No, the guys who ride 100-400miles per week wear the clips, space age
helmets and the gaudy spandex.

The guys who ride 500miles per week get to wear a cape, too.

http://www.buffalo2step.com/Six%20Pa...s/223_2375.jpg

jj

Old April 7th 05, 01:19 PM
psycholist

"Michael" wrote in message
psycholist wrote:

Were we reading the same Maggie? Hmmm ...

While I don't do "centuries" (wassat anyway? Hunnert feet?) or scores or
even
decades, I do a fair amount of spinning (500-600 miles/year) for a guy of
my age
and weight. I have no axe to grind with any cyclist, by any stretch of
the
imagination. But in my neck o' the woods only the kind of folk who ride,
say,
500 miles/week wear spandex. Clips; spiffy space age helmets, spandex
(especially in gaudy colors) ..... they all draw stares and gazes because
are you ready for this? .... because they're unusual.

500 to 600 miles a year? I do that in 2 weeks. You may think it's unusual.
I think it's unusual that someone who only rides 500 to 600 miles a year
hangs out in a cycling newsgroup. My neighbors' 4 year old rides more miles
than that.

And though they're gaudy colors, they are visible. That's the point ...
though I know that's tough for some folks to understand.

I do think it's really sad that a fat assed person driving a car with their
arm that looks like a Virginia ham resting on the door frame is now
considered the norm and an extremely fit person who lives a life that
includes lots of exercise and good eating habits is a freak. But this is
such an upside down society anymore. I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm 49 years old, I'm debt free, my children have moved on, my wife and I
have a nice life on a farm and I'm free to devote a couple hours a day to
what I love ... riding. Oh, I also have a resting hear rate in the 30s and
my cardiologist says I have the heart of a healthy 20-something. So if you
want to be critical because I wear lycra, and "gaudy" colors and use
high-end equipment ... feel free. I won't say I don't give a ****. I do.
It bothers me that there are people who participate in this sport who are
more shallow and judgemental than the "rednecks" amongst whom I live and
ride. I'm gonna dwell on it and fret over it for ... oh ... I'm done.

Bob C.

Old April 7th 05, 02:30 PM
Colorado Bicycler

I love those gaudy colors and lycra and spandex! And I am 65 yo, and
quite heterosexual.

But, around here, there are bicyclists everywhere, and most of them are
colorfully dressed the same.

But, sorry, I don't shave my legs. Therefore, I am not a member of the
truly elite.

And, are you sure you meant 500-600 miles per year? Not per month? 600
miles per year is about 2 miles per day - I WALK 3-5 miles per day.

PING Maggie - OT wafflycat General 16 March 18th 05 11:02 AM
Maggie, get out and ride (Friday 3/11) Neil Cherry General 2 March 12th 05 03:24 AM
V-Brake to Maggie HS adapter mount!! Checkernuts Unicycling 4 November 20th 04 01:06 AM
For Sale: Maggie H-33 Steel cross over Checkernuts Unicycling 5 September 8th 04 11:35 AM
Wahoo! Maggie Rides!! dazedNcontused Unicycling 16 November 17th 03 08:22 PM