The Veletta

Old September 30th 05, 04:25 PM
Jeff Grippe

Default The Veletta

I have been thinking I would like to build a shell for my tricruiser and
turn it into a velomobile.

I have been enchanted with the BMW Isetta (built from approx. 1955 - 1962)
ever since I first saw one. If you've never seen one then simply goto Google
Image search and type Isetta.

I would like to build a scaled down copy of the Isetta body which can attach
to a trike. I don't have a clue where to even begin my research. Any
thoughts or pointer would be appreciated.

Jeff

Old September 30th 05, 04:42 PM
Dan B.

Jeff Grippe wrote:
I have been thinking I would like to build a shell for my tricruiser and
turn it into a velomobile.

I have been enchanted with the BMW Isetta (built from approx. 1955 - 1962)
ever since I first saw one. If you've never seen one then simply goto Google
Image search and type Isetta.

I would like to build a scaled down copy of the Isetta body which can attach
to a trike. I don't have a clue where to even begin my research. Any
thoughts or pointer would be appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff,

Here's a couple of links off the top of my head.

Bob Doster's plans for enclosed tadpole trike:
http://www.hellbentcycles.com/work_shop.htm, it's one of the top links.

WISIL Projects page...lots of info on making fairings, etc.:
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whatsup.htm

Hope this helps,

Dan

Old October 2nd 05, 06:16 AM
Jeff Wills

Jeff Grippe wrote:
I have been thinking I would like to build a shell for my tricruiser and
turn it into a velomobile.

I have been enchanted with the BMW Isetta (built from approx. 1955 - 1962)
ever since I first saw one. If you've never seen one then simply goto Google
Image search and type Isetta.

I would like to build a scaled down copy of the Isetta body which can attach
to a trike. I don't have a clue where to even begin my research. Any
thoughts or pointer would be appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff:

Personally, I think you'd be doing yourself a favor if you copied a
Leitra: http://www.leitra.dk/ . It seem to be the most well-thought out
velomobile out there. John Tetz's projects are also great place to
look, and he's documented his creations exceedingly well:
http://www.recumbents.com/mars/pages...VM/TFVMp1.html

Other Jeff

Old October 2nd 05, 05:45 PM
Jeff Grippe

"Jeff Wills" wrote in message
ups.com...

Personally, I think you'd be doing yourself a favor if you copied a
Leitra: http://www.leitra.dk/ . It seem to be the most well-thought out
velomobile out there. John Tetz's projects are also great place to
look, and he's documented his creations exceedingly well:
http://www.recumbents.com/mars/pages...VM/TFVMp1.html

I think you are probably right but my idea satisfies my craving for an
Isetta (which is almost certainly a car I'll never buy) while at the same
time giving me a velomobile. I fear that the project itself is way beyond my
abilities but the same techniques for building a shell that have been
illustrated in the links that have been posted in this thread should work.

It almost certainly will not be very aerodynamic but I only need it for my
3.5 mile ride to and from the train station which is mostly flat.

Thanks for the links.

Jeff

Old October 3rd 05, 05:15 AM
Jeff Wills

Jeff Grippe wrote:
I think you are probably right but my idea satisfies my craving for an
Isetta (which is almost certainly a car I'll never buy) while at the same
time giving me a velomobile. I fear that the project itself is way beyond my
abilities but the same techniques for building a shell that have been
illustrated in the links that have been posted in this thread should work.

If you're looking for an easy-to-build velomobile, there ain't much out
there. Putting a Coroplast shell on a commercial trike would be what
I'd do. Coroplast is cheap, light, durable, and easy to work with.

Oh, and you should look through the Bruce Weiner museum:
http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/b...ta-bubble.html

Once upon a time, I saw an Isetta *towing* an appropriately-sized boat
on a trailer. I nearly busted my pants laughing.

Jeff

Old October 3rd 05, 11:08 AM
Jeff Grippe

"Jeff Wills" wrote in message
oups.com...

If you're looking for an easy-to-build velomobile, there ain't much out
there. Putting a Coroplast shell on a commercial trike would be what
I'd do. Coroplast is cheap, light, durable, and easy to work with.

Oh, and you should look through the Bruce Weiner museum:
http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/b...ta-bubble.html

I have visited that site many times. The Isetta shape and body look like
they were designed to go with a tadpole trike. Coroplast does seem like the
way to go and there are a few sites that detail how to work with it. The
single door style of the Isetta also seems like a good idea for a velomobile
although the aerodynamics of the care could be improved.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Old October 3rd 05, 03:50 PM
gotbent

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

"Jeff Wills" wrote in message
oups.com...

If you're looking for an easy-to-build velomobile, there ain't much out
there. Putting a Coroplast shell on a commercial trike would be what
I'd do. Coroplast is cheap, light, durable, and easy to work with.

Oh, and you should look through the Bruce Weiner museum:
http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/b...ta-bubble.html

I have visited that site many times. The Isetta shape and body look like
they were designed to go with a tadpole trike. Coroplast does seem like
the way to go and there are a few sites that detail how to work with it.
The single door style of the Isetta also seems like a good idea for a
velomobile although the aerodynamics of the care could be improved.

Thanks again.

Jeff

You could probably customize a refrigerator box to make a "Valleta". It'd be
a bit squarer than an Isetta, but not much.
In the early sixties there was a parking lot on my way to college. A lot
attendant parked a guy's Isetta against a wall. He couldn't find reverse
gear and he couldn't open the door! I laughed my ass off before telling the
poor schmuck to push in the clutch so I could push him a few feet backwards
so he cold get out, but not before I negotiated a free week's parking for my
MG1100, which is BTW English for a piece of ****.

Old October 4th 05, 02:34 AM
Mark Leuck

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
I have been thinking I would like to build a shell for my tricruiser and
turn it into a velomobile.

I have been enchanted with the BMW Isetta (built from approx. 1955 - 1962)
ever since I first saw one. If you've never seen one then simply goto

Google
Image search and type Isetta.

I would like to build a scaled down copy of the Isetta body which can

attach
to a trike. I don't have a clue where to even begin my research. Any
thoughts or pointer would be appreciated.

Jeff

I too like the Isetta however with the "cab forward" design I can't see how
you could do it and get the same look. You would end up looking out from
somewhere around the back seat area

Old October 4th 05, 06:16 PM
Jeff Grippe

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

I too like the Isetta however with the "cab forward" design I can't see
how
you could do it and get the same look. You would end up looking out from
somewhere around the back seat area

If you look at the pictures of the tricruiser with its strange rear rack
(which I have) then you will see how I might be able to come close. I've
ordered an Isetta book (which I've wanted for a long time anyway) so I'll
spend some time pouring over more detailed photos. I think the key to how
well I might be able to reproduce its look has to do with the relationship
of the seat to the front wheels.

For pictures of the tricruiser see www.americruiser.com

Jeff