Race Training Tips for Newbie? PLZ & TIA

Old June 26th 04, 03:19 AM

Default Race Training Tips for Newbie? PLZ & TIA

What advice on training would you give someone who is new to racing?
What areas are of primary focus? I'm fairly strong and somewhat experienced,
but ride with much more experienced riders (2s and 1s) and typically get dropped.

I'm 30 y.o., been riding for 10+ years and within the last 3 have focused my
"training" for road race efforts. I have raced 3x (Cat 5) and finished in top 10 each
time. A few more races I can upgrade. But I want to win and not be in over my head.
How should race training be focused? Sprints, Hills, Intervals, what?!? What is
of primary importance? Any tips, advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
PLZ+TIA

Old June 26th 04, 04:23 AM
Carl Sundquist

wrote in message ...
What advice on training would you give someone who is new to racing?
What areas are of primary focus? I'm fairly strong and somewhat

experienced,
but ride with much more experienced riders (2s and 1s) and typically get

dropped.

I'm 30 y.o., been riding for 10+ years and within the last 3 have focused

my
"training" for road race efforts. I have raced 3x (Cat 5) and finished in

top 10 each
time. A few more races I can upgrade. But I want to win and not be in

over my head.
How should race training be focused? Sprints, Hills, Intervals, what?!?

What is
of primary importance? Any tips, advice, suggestions would be greatly

appreciated.
PLZ+TIA

Your request is really too broad to give much practical advice. You give no
indication of strengths, weaknesses, time available for training, goals,
etc.

Old June 26th 04, 05:42 AM
Rick Roof

Have you you asked the other riders that you ride with? I would start with
the 1's and 2's if I were you. You dont get to be a cat 1 without having
some idea of how to train. Are you getting dropped on climbs, or getting
spit out the back when the sprint starts? I agree with Carl that the group
needs much more info to help you out.

Old June 26th 04, 05:58 AM
Jim Flom

wrote ...

How should race training be focused?

Buy Joe Friel's Cyclists Training Bible. That's a good place to start.
Maybe grab Chris Carmichael's book if you want to drop names and money.

JF

Old June 26th 04, 09:28 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 02:19:03 GMT, wrote:

What advice on training would you give someone who is new to racing?
What areas are of primary focus?

It depends on your specific abilities and your goals.

_The Cyclist's Training Bible_ by Joe Friel is a book that is good at
addressing these issues

Or get a coach to work with you.

THe book I mentioned does not address technique and tactics, which are
also important.

JT