London traffic laws

Old May 10th 08, 01:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default London traffic laws

Does anybody know if or how I can look at the London traffic code
online? And if so will they please tell me where it is.

Thank you.

Robert
Old May 10th 08, 02:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article 7d698577-c7cd-4bcb-a6aa-cee29c0bef16
@p39g2000prm.googlegroups.com,
says...
Does anybody know if or how I can look at the London traffic code
online? And if so will they please tell me where it is.

It's no different than the Highway Code for the rest of Great Britain.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...t/Highwaycode/

Old May 10th 08, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Zog The Undeniable

Rob Morley wrote:
In article 7d698577-c7cd-4bcb-a6aa-cee29c0bef16
@p39g2000prm.googlegroups.com,
says...
Does anybody know if or how I can look at the London traffic code
online? And if so will they please tell me where it is.

It's no different than the Highway Code for the rest of Great Britain.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...t/Highwaycode/

Unless you're a courier ;-)
Old May 10th 08, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On May 9, 7:00 pm, Rob Morley wrote:
In article 7d698577-c7cd-4bcb-a6aa-cee29c0bef16
@p39g2000prm.googlegroups.com,
says... Does anybody know if or how I can look at the London traffic code
online? And if so will they please tell me where it is.

It's no different than the Highway Code for the rest of Great Britain.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...t/Highwaycode/

Thank you sir.
Old May 12th 08, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 10 May, 02:00, Rob Morley wrote:
In article 7d698577-c7cd-4bcb-a6aa-cee29c0bef16
@p39g2000prm.googlegroups.com, *
says... Does anybody know if or how I can look at the London traffic code
online? And if so will they please tell me where it is.

It's no different than the Highway Code for the rest of Great Britain.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...t/Highwaycode/

Although there are bylaws, as with most places in the UK.
Some examples are London's Red Routes, no parking in bus stops and the
Low Emission Zone. I believe London also bans pavement parking, which
is not nationally illegal.
Old May 12th 08, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jonathan Schneider

POHB writes:

I believe London also bans pavement parking, which
is not nationally illegal.

That's something I'd like to know a bit more about. Not in London
necessarily.

In the last few years I've noticed an increase in the number of
vehicles parked completely on the pavement. Often they are next to
double yellows or cars already parked on the road or pavement-side of
railings. Or they narrow the pavement so much that you may as well
walk on the road. Or all of the above.

Is it one of those things that is technically illegal but never
enforced ?

Jon
Old May 12th 08, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 12 May, 09:40, Jonathan Schneider
wrote:
POHB writes:
I believe London also bans pavement parking, which
is not nationally illegal.

That's something I'd like to know a bit more about. Not in London
necessarily.

In the last few years I've noticed an increase in the number of
vehicles parked completely on the pavement. Often they are next to
double yellows or cars already parked on the road or pavement-side of
railings. Or they narrow the pavement so much that you may as well
walk on the road. Or all of the above.

Is it one of those things that is technically illegal but never
enforced ?

Jon

Don't know if this is up to date, but it is a good summary:
http://ww2.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/...SAPPENDIXB.pdf

"There is no national prohibition on pavement parking except in
relation to heavy commercial vehicles."

"Most pavement parking will be seen as causing an obstruction and will
be dealt with by the police or traffic wardens. However, in some areas
local authorities have designated "Special Parking Areas" (SPAs) under
the Road Traffic Act 1991. In these areas the local authorities will
be responsible for parking and cars parked on the pavement could be
ticketed as contravening the parking regulations (e.g. parking on a
yellow line for example) rather than for causing an obstruction. Some
local authorities, for example Worcester, Exeter and Hereford took
their own Private Act powers to ban pavement parking within their
areas. London also took such powers under section 15 of the Greater
London Council (General Powers Act) 1974, although the situation there
is now covered by the Road Traffic Act 1991."

Seems like it isn't a criminal offence unless you actually cause a
danger or obstruction, but it may be a civil offence depending on what
the local council feels like doing.
Old May 12th 08, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 12 May 2008 09:40:10 +0100 someone who may be Jonathan
Schneider wrote this:-

I believe London also bans pavement parking, which
is not nationally illegal.

That's something I'd like to know a bit more about. Not in London
necessarily.

In London Highway Code Rule 244 makes it clear.

I have no idea about the south, but in Scotland it is an offence to
drive on a footway,footpath or cycle track (with some exceptions).
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/1984/cukpga_19840054_en_16#pt11-l1g146
129 (5). The police seldom, if ever, enforce this law. A parked
motor vehicle has either been driven or propelled (pushed in more
common language) there. It was not magically levitated into
position.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old May 12th 08, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
David Hansen tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

In London Highway Code Rule 244 makes it clear.

"You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London"

This has always puzzled me, as a little further up the road in which
Larrington Towers is situated, there are notices /requiring/ parked vehicles
to be wholly on the pavement. Along the road that runs down the side of
Larrington Towers there are notices /requiring/ parked vehicles to be
partially on the pavement. And outside Larrington Towers, parking wholly or
partially on the pavement will get you a ticket.

Larrington Towers has been located in the London Borough of Waltham Forest
since 1965, prior to which it was in faaarkin' Essex.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old May 12th 08, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 12 May 2008 11:45:50 +0100 someone who may be "Dave
Larrington" wrote this:-

In London Highway Code Rule 244 makes it clear.

"You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London"

This has always puzzled me, as a little further up the road in which
Larrington Towers is situated, there are notices /requiring/ parked vehicles
to be wholly on the pavement.

Perhaps you should take it up with whoever is responsible for the
signs, quoting the law mentioned in the Highway Code.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Obedience to traffic laws [email protected] General 2 April 22nd 08 12:25 AM
David Cameron caught breaking traffic laws on bicycle vey Social Issues 0 March 22nd 08 12:56 AM
laws daniel Techniques 28 January 5th 07 07:01 PM
Traffic Citations & Traffic Cops Freddie Mountain Biking 0 March 23rd 06 05:02 AM
2005 London Edinburgh London Audax Information Gavin Gilbert UK 74 January 19th 05 02:59 PM