Training for a hilly race

Old February 6th 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Default Training for a hilly race

Bret wrote:

On Feb 6, 1:15*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:35:53 -0800, "Robert Chung"

wrote:
Bret wrote:

Some people do low cadence, high torque climbing intervals to
train leg strength. I've seen Andy Hampsten do this on two
separate occasions (when he was still racing) with his arms
resting on the bars so that he wasn't using any upper body
strength.

That must've been his secret for winning that stage over the Gavia.

No one will fall for this one anymore. Come on now.

Right. We just use it to figure out Ed's latest alias.

I fall for it all the time though. I keep thinking "Hampsten won that
stage? ****! I passed through a wormhole again and am in a alternate
universe because last time I checked it was Eric Vanderaerden." Then I
find out Hampsten didn't win the stage, and Eric did, and realize I am in
the same universe I started out in. So it's a moment of panic and then a
surge of relief.

--
Bill Asher
Old February 6th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret

wrote:
Bret wrote:

[...]

I'm not surprised that you're confused. Dutch hackers have been waging
a campaign for years trying to make it appear that Holland is a
cycling nation. Last year they even hacked all the cycling websites to
make it look like some Dutch guy named Lars won cyclocross worlds.

Bret
Old February 6th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Doug Smith

Robert Chung wrote:
Susan Walker wrote:
Doug smith wrote:
What kind of dieting did you do? Serious count every calorie, some
theory type diet like Paleo or Atkins, or more generic cut out the
sweets and beer diet?

1. Eat less
2. More fruit+veg, less fat+salt
3. Eat+sleep more regularly
4. Sweets and beer (et cetera) no more than 1x/week

My method takes a little while but it seems to work okay. Have a kid, then
send her to group daycare. Whenever anyone else at daycare gets a cold, your
adorable little disease carrier will bring it home. A few days later you'll
get it, too. A little low grade fever and explosive diarrhea, and the pounds
will seem like they shed themselves.

Been there, done that. Teeth implants also help. A lot.
Unfortunately all of the above is too easily negated by getting hit by a
minivan. Back to plan A.
Old February 6th 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Feb 4, 2:36*am, Amit Ghosh wrote:
On Feb 3, 5:10*pm, Scott wrote:

Who said anything about doing the low cadence/high force efforts at
significantly lower wattages?

dumbass,

if you do an all out interval, say 5 minutes and self select cadence
and then you do 5 minutes and you deliberately restrict your cadence
you won't make as much power, since you have imposed an additional
constraint on yourself.

But cadence is a red herring.
Old February 6th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Feb 4, 4:16*am, Amit Ghosh wrote:

the difference in conditioning between doing a typical 10-15 hrs a
week, pushing yourself once in a while with some sustained intensity
and an optimized training plan is maybe 10%.

Dumbass,

I'd swag it at under 2% if one trains with people who don't suck. I'm
not saying that 2% isn't important. Just my 2c. I'm either right, or
I'm not.
Old February 6th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

wrote:
Bret wrote:
[...]

But he didn't do it in a snow storm!
Old February 6th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Feb 5, 8:56*am, Bret wrote:
On Feb 5, 7:51*am, Amit Ghosh wrote:

once you're 5 yrs in, your prospects of getting much better are slim.
if results in amateur races is what your after then it makes sense to
optimize your training and focus on minutiae - it might make a big
difference to someone to go from a midpack cat 4 to a cat 3 front
runner, but that's not a huge leap. talented newcomers go from cat 4
to cat 1 or cat 3 to pro in a season or two all the time.

I disagree. After my first seven years of racing I was able to make
some significant improvements with changes to my training. It mainly
came down to finding a small group that was committed to *doing
structured training that included hard paceline rides, easy days,
climbing days and interval workouts.

You trained with people who sucked for your first 7 years.

Old February 6th 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Feb 5, 4:57*pm, Scott wrote:
On Feb 5, 1:40*pm, "Robert Chung"
wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Feb 5, 10:52 am, "Robert Chung"
wrote:
Bret wrote:
It mainly
came down to finding a small group that was committed to doing
structured training that included hard paceline rides, easy days,
climbing days and interval workouts.

How do you do interval workouts in a small group?

Are you asking how Bret himself specifically does it, or is your
question intended to imply that it can't be done?

The former, but I sorta enjoyed the way you jumped to conclusions.

Since I asked you what you meant, how is it that I jumped to a
conclusion? *

Sometimes he jumps to the conclusion that a supposition is a
conclusion.
Old February 6th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Feb 5, 10:05*am, Bret wrote:
On Feb 5, 10:52*am, "Robert Chung"
wrote:

Bret wrote:
It mainly
came down to finding a small group that was committed to *doing
structured training that included hard paceline rides, easy days,
climbing days and interval workouts.

How do you do interval workouts in a small group?

We would warm up together, do our interval sets individually and then
regroup to finish the ride.

That would bore me as much as a cadence thread.
Old February 6th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

wrote:
Bret wrote:

[...]

Wait, Holland is a separate nation? It isn't a colony of Finland? Oh
****, who won the War of Germany, the USSR or France? I suppose next you
are going to tell me that the Chinese never colonized Greenland and that
homosexual deviants aren't responsible for 99% of the rapes in the world.

--
Bill Asher