Positive discriminating for cyclists

Old November 19th 11, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marie

Default Positive discriminating for cyclists

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co....ail/story.html
Old November 19th 11, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 02:07:27 -0800 (PST), Marie
wrote:

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co....ail/story.html

"I've been nearly run over umpteen times"
"I've been nearly knocked over a few times"

Is there any evidence that cycling on the footway in Cheltenham Town
Centre has ever hurt anyone?
Old November 19th 11, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

wrote:

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co....ail/story.html

"I've been nearly run over umpteen times"
"I've been nearly knocked over a few times"

Is there any evidence that cycling on the footway in Cheltenham Town
Centre has ever hurt anyone?

Would you accept an analogous argument to the effect that because no-one has
yet been hit by a car in the pedestrianised part of High Street, Slagtown,
that it's OK to ignore the "No motor vehicles" signs?

Old November 19th 11, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:
http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co....ling-Cheltenha...

"I've been nearly run over umpteen times"
"I've been nearly knocked over a few times"

Is there any evidence that cycling on the footway in Cheltenham Town
Centre has ever hurt anyone?

Ah, yes that old chestnut.
I have lost count of the number of times I have "nearly" been run over
by bike/car/van.

--
Simon Mason
Old November 20th 11, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 19:51:44 -0000, "Zapp Brannigan"
wrote:

Driving past a cyclist with 1cm clearance has never hurt anybody either

Factually incorrect. I will dig out the reference when I have a minute
hit there was a case discussed a couple of years back where a woman
passed by a cyclist too close, but did not hit the cyclist; the
cyclist lost control as a result and was killed. The woman was
convicted.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed

Old November 20th 11, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:

Driving past a cyclist with 1cm clearance has never hurt anybody either

Factually incorrect. I will dig out the reference when I have a minute
hit there was a case discussed a couple of years back where a woman
passed by a cyclist too close, but did not hit the cyclist; the
cyclist lost control as a result and was killed. The woman was
convicted.

In the USA in many states there is a mandatory 3 feet passing rule
*precisely* for that very reason.

--
Simon Mason