Curious -- Why Do You Continue To Stay With ARBR

Old November 12th 04, 04:39 PM
skip

"Larry Varney" wrote in message
nget wrote:
Larry Varney Wrote:
skip wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Larry Varney wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

M wrote:

I'm staying with this group as an experiment. I want to see how

many

people I have to put in the kill file before it becomes a group

about

recumbent bikes again. Anyone who responds to Dolan is in my

kill

file. Now I can read this group in five minutes and most of what

read is about recumbent bikes. To all of you "on topic" people,

thank

you for all the good info. To all of you "off topic" people, see

ya!

Kill files are for people who lack the intelligence to sort what

is

worthwhile to them, and the self-control to ignore what they

consider

useless.

Kill files are for people who *have* the intelligence to sort what

is

worthwhile, and have automated the process. Just as some program

their

televisions to skip over the channels that do not contain

programming,

they will program their newsreaders to skip over those posters who

offer

little of interest to them.

Even Mr. Ed Dolan has something worthwhile to say on recumbent

bicycles

0.1% of the time.

If someone puts a gun to my head and says "read this" I will read

whatever

it is, but until that happens I will continue to read only what I

choose to

read. I have difficulty whatsoever making my own reading choices.

Don't you just hate it when you read something you've written, and find
that
you've left out one little word that makes all the difference?

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

When an honest mistake is made,as in the above case,an adult reader
will fill in the missing word and think no more about it.If someone
errors on purpose then you should call them on it.

Come on, I wasn't taking a shot at you - it is a common and honest
mistake. I just happened to think it was kind of funny. I didn't believe
it was on purpose.
A similar error that pops up frequently is the repeated word, especially
words like "the". If it's at the end of a line, it seems even more common
to see it repeated. I'm not sure why that is, but I suspect someone in
some college somewhere has written a paper on it.

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Yes Larry I frequently leave out or repeat words (my newsreader takes care
of the repeated words). But you were smart to figure out it was it not on
purpose that I left out the word "no". To help you deal with my problem
here is a no or two for you to insert as needed in my future posts. [no no
no ] These should last you through end of the year, at least.

skip

P.S I could have left out a "the" somewhere in this post. So let me leave
you with an extra just in case. [the]

Old November 12th 04, 04:46 PM
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Larry Varney" wrote in message

Tom Sherman wrote:
snip

Kill files are for people who lack the intelligence to sort what is
worthwhile to them, and the self-control to ignore what they consider
useless.

Kill files are for people who *have* the intelligence to sort what is
worthwhile, and have automated the process. Just as some program their
televisions to skip over the channels that do not contain programming,
they will program their newsreaders to skip over those posters who
offer little of interest to them.

Even Mr. Ed Dolan has something worthwhile to say on recumbent bicycles
0.1% of the time.

I haven't done the math, but given that you have and that the amount is
accurate: would you read a book, watch a movie, eat a meal, where just
one-tenth of one person was worth it?
But that's up to the person doing the ignoring, either manually or
automatically. They might miss that .1% by doing so, and that will be
their loss, relatively speaking.

This screwball Varney weighs in on a one sentence post of Mr. Sherman's.
But he never has much to say about anything anyway. He is like a leech
who latches on to others in order to get in his measly two cents worth.
He is nothing but a ****ing kill filer who does not have the courage to
read me, but yet still wants to comment on me. These type of assholes are
beneath contempt.

Varney knows that I don't like him because I think he is a lustful
depraved Santa Claus looking clown. It amuses me that Varney has not kill
filed Mr. Sherman although Mr. Sherman is easily off topic as much as I
am if not more. But Mr. Sherman has mastered the art of not ****ing off
assholes. I see no reason NOT to **** off assholes - and so I do. ****
'em and most especially **** Varney.

Try reading what has been written, Dolan, rather than just exercising
your vulgarity. I responded to an earlier, multi-sentence post of Tom's.
*HE* responded with a one-sentence post, that I then commented upon.

You are commenting on his ONE sentence only which is hardly worth commenting
on. Can't you tell by now when Mr. Sherman is just jacking around. If you
want to attack me, then do it directly. And I will return the favor. I do
not like to attack others via another poster.

And perhaps you can get someone at the home to read this to you, since
you obviously didn't catch it in an earlier posting of mine: I have not
kill-filed anyone. And I do not mind off-topic posts, especially if
they're labeled as such.

What I don't like are crude, prejudiced, vulgar posts and their posters.

The preacher again. Give it a rest! Usenet is what it is. Some of my posts
are crude, others are far from crude. It all depends.

And
admit it, Dolan. The only reason you don't like me, is that I have pointed
out at various times the silly inconsistencies in your arguments - which
led to the famous "sui generis" weasel attempt of yours to avoid any
responsibility for what you have posted - and this just causes you to
froth at the mouth even more, showing just how vulgar, crude, childish and
loathsome you can become. You can try to make this into some political
thing, conservative vs. liberal, but guess what: no one is buying it.

I have moved on from that particular episode. The only thing that really
****es me off and causes me to go berserk is when I think someone has kill
filed me and yet is continuing to make comments about me even though he is
not reading me anymore. That is the one and only thing that will send me
into orbit. I thought that you had kill filed me and yet were continuing to
comment on me. I was wrong apparently.

If you have not kill filed me and are keeping up to date with my posts, then
of course you can comment on me all you want and I won't hold it against you
nor will I dislike you. Cletus Lee drove me crazy with his comments about me
all the time when I knew he had kill filed me and was no longer reading my
posts. I think once you have kill filed someone, then you should no longer
be commenting on that person's posts because you are only getting them
second hand from someone else's edited version. I really have no objection
at all if someone wants to kill file anyone, but then you should shut up
about the person that you have kill filed.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old November 12th 04, 04:53 PM
Jon Meinecke

"harv"

So to Melanie, Beth, Carol, Jeffy, Dr. Scott, Perry, John, Tom, Earl, et

al,
come on back hear?

Yeah, time for some "freewheeling" fun. Don't forget Cardone... %^)
My '98 BikeE AT/XL has started getting miles again. Bob
much preferred his Tailwind to the BikeE of the taco'ed wheel.

BentheadSWB (John H), Warren Block, Robert Seigel,
Peter The Bicycle Man, Lorenzo Love, Kent Petersen,
Cowen (jeffy)...

Beth and Floyd were back here recently.

Jon Meinecke
net.subtle-apteryx

Old November 12th 04, 05:06 PM
Dave Larrington

Tom Sherman wrote:

Kill files are for people who lack the intelligence to sort what is
worthwhile to them, and the self-control to ignore what they consider
useless.

I can see you've never encountered Mike Corley, Tom...

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Old November 12th 04, 05:23 PM
Larry Varney

nget wrote:

Larry Varney wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

M wrote:

[...]

I hate waiting. So I'll just go ahead and use them up now. no no no the

Old November 12th 04, 05:29 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:06:43 -0000, "Dave Larrington"
wrote:

I can see you've never encountered Mike Corley, Tom...

Shhhh! he'll hear you!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 12th 04, 05:45 PM
skip

"nget" wrote in message

mike s Wrote:
"skip" wrote in message
"Joe Keenan" wrote in message
I'm curious why folks stay with this newsgroup given that any

thread
is immediately subject to contamination. (I'm being kind) Yup, I'm

"usta be" and just stopped in to see if things had changed in a

few
months.

Slow Joe Recumbo

I don't visit here as much as I used too due to some of the obvious
problems. But over the years I have gotten a lot of good information
from some of the contributors so I switch back occasionally to see if
the vitrol contained in some of the comments has changed. I appreciate
some of even the most critical comments when they are voiced on issues
rather than personalities, but I find I get bored quickly with the
constant personality bashing.

Mike S.
St. Louis, Mo.

You're not going to bring up that RANS seat problem are you?Talk about
boring,that does it for me,I really can't take anymore of it.

--
nget

Well if Mike S. chose to do so on arbr he could and there's not much Randy
S. or Brian B. could do to stop him (as someone said they did on BROL -
which [if that actually happened] they had every right to do - RANS being a
sponsor and all that).

If it was posted to arbr I would exercise my option not read those posts
because I don't have that model RANS seat and would have little interest in
the minutiae of the problem. If I was considering buying a RANS bike with
the seat in question I would surely want to check it out. Anyway I trust
they've worked through it and everything is fine now.

Old November 12th 04, 06:26 PM

Joe Keenan wrote:
: I'm curious why folks stay with this newsgroup given that any thread
: is immediately subject to contamination. (I'm being kind) Yup, I'm a
: "usta be" and just stopped in to see if things had changed in a few
: months.

It must be the intelligent, knowledgeable, mature posters that
make me come back again and again... :-)

Flamewars can be fun at times too, if only for the absurdity of
the people involved.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.iki.fi/~varis/
name name at no spam please nixu com
Old November 12th 04, 08:06 PM
meb

nget Wrote:
You're not going to bring up that RANS seat problem are you?Talk about
boring,that does it for me,I really can't take anymore of it.

No but I will. If Bryan let the speech continue on that issue when it
was depriving him of advertising revenue, that speaks very highly of
his willingness to let free speech flow as long as it remained relevent
to Board's mission. Filtering off political speech helps save time for
those interested in cycling. When wants poilitical topic, there are
political forums for that goal.

--
meb

Old November 12th 04, 08:08 PM
Kurt Fischer

Joe Keenan wrote:
: I'm curious why folks stay with this newsgroup given that any thread
: is immediately subject to contamination. (I'm being kind) Yup, I'm a
: "usta be" and just stopped in to see if things had changed in a few
: months.

It must be the intelligent, knowledgeable, mature posters that
make me come back again and again... :-)

Let's face reality, Risto. Usenet can become as addictive as can
recumbents. Now combine these two addictions and you'll know why
they(we) always come back to ARBR. I guess that's the most important
difference between boxing and cycling. ;-)

Flamewars can be fun at times too, if only for the absurdity of
the people involved.

Yes, and sometimes it can even be fun to be a part of this absurdity. A
little mud-wrestling now and then cleans heart and soul, that's
especially important when it's winter and we can't go outside to ride
enough. ;-)

Kurt