bicycle tech

Old January 5th 21, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default bicycle tech

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 08:51:39 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 3:24:41 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 08:08:16 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 7:38:37 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 18:59:12 -0800 (PST), "
Several other people have given good responses to your questions. But here is my scenario where I live. I live 0.75 miles from the bus stop. I walk it in all weather at less than 10 minutes. But it would be easier and quicker to ride it. And there are lots of other suburb houses within a mile of me. So they would be up to 2 miles from the bus stops. Riding a bike would be much easier for them than walking. There are NO places to park bicycles near the bus stops. So if you rode to a bus stop, you would have to take the bike on the bus. It is 10 miles to downtown from my house/bus stop. I do and have ridden it many many times. But if I was commuting every day downtown, I would like to use the bus for most of the commute. And once the bus is downtown, many businesses are within easy walking distance. Hospital is 1 mile away and Capital is 0.75 miles away. But there are many businesses and destinations that are 1 mile or more away from the bus route. Having a bike to
finish the commute would be nicer than walking the final 1+ mile. So if you live 1-2 miles from the bus stop at the beginning, and your final destination is 1-2 miles from the bus stop at the end, taking a bike and riding 2-4 miles total for each bus trip makes lots of sense. With the 10 mile bus trip in between. Each day you would end up with 4-8 miles of bicycle riding and 20 miles of bus sitting. 1-2 hours of total commuting time each day. Acceptable?
So, o.k. a ten minute walk, a 10 mile bus ride and then again 3/4
mile, say another 10 - 15 minutes walk... and you need a bicycle.
You don't need a bicycle ever. Don't pretend to us that you ride simply because you sit in the back of a Rickshaw.

Ah Tommy, there you go again talking about something about you so
obviously know nothing at all. However, for your edification a
"ricksha" or "shaw" is a Japanese word meaning human powered vehicle
and is, at least in the part of the world where they common is applied
only to the old fashioned two wheel cart pulled by a human. For a
photo see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:R...ct_25_2015.ogv

They haven't been used in Thailand for at least 50 years to my
personal knowledge and probably longer.What was common some years ago
was a "Samlo" see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricksh...e_Rickshaw.jpg
and now even those are no longer seen as we are completely mechanized
here and have a motorized three wheeler called a "tuk tuk".
https://www.konradlegal.com/wp-conte...k-Rickshaw.jpg

You see Tommy, you really should restrict your comments to something
that you are knowledgeable about, this flying off on tangents simply
exposes your vast ignorance to the great unwashed proletariat.

Sticking to small pieces of paper and bits of string will avoid people
pointing their finger and whispering, "There goes that old fool Tommy,
again".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Tell us meathead, what has that to do with you haven't ridden a bicycle for over 20 years? Again, what are you on this group for? You are a disgrace to the human race.

What, "haven't ridden a bicycle for over 20 years"? I rode one
yesterday. Have you skipped taking your medicine again?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 6th 21, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 18:54:54 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I investigated that scheme soon after we moved here, but the bus route
was so convoluted and slow that it was faster just to ride the full
distance, which for me was seven miles.

I got stuck behind a city bus once. The average speed wasn't fast
enough to balance. I was *very* unhappy until it finally stopped for
a crowd large enough that it was safe to ride to the left of it.

I don't recall whether I managed to pass the next bus stop before
being overtaken on the first try.

So I didn't mind that the routes and schedules were top secret. This
was quite a surprise, because in Indianapolis, our previous home town,
there had been racks of bus schedules in every store that was on a bus
route.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
Old January 6th 21, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Wed, 06 Jan 2021 12:03:11 -0500, Joy Beeson scribed:

wrote:

I investigated that scheme soon after we moved here, but the bus route
was so convoluted and slow that it was faster just to ride the full
distance, which for me was seven miles.

I got stuck behind a city bus once. The average speed wasn't fast
enough to balance. I was *very* unhappy until it finally stopped for a
crowd large enough that it was safe to ride to the left of it.

I don't recall whether I managed to pass the next bus stop before being
overtaken on the first try.

So I didn't mind that the routes and schedules were top secret. This
was quite a surprise, because in Indianapolis, our previous home town,
there had been racks of bus schedules in every store that was on a bus
route.

Oh, the old days.
Signs of progress, in our town, they removed all those, complete with bus
stops and half the route/stops.

We now have an app for the smart phone, where once I'd walk* 30minutes to
either train station, or wait 5-15 minutes in the rain, for a bus that
took 15-20 minutes to reach either station, the app now tells me to walk
5 blocks to another bus route, where I wait the same time for a bus that
comes less frequently and still takes similar time to reach either station

* I tried the cycle to the station, but the fiddle with locking up bike
and carrying a bag of gear (helmet, lights, etc) around all day was
annoying.

At one stage, it was 30 minutes walk to station 1 hour by train and 30
minutes walk to work. Again the hassle with the bike made it easier to
walk. Part of the problem was having to front the ticket office each trip
for a bicycle ticket plus for trip home, I could walk out the door and
pick up a bus 5 minutes later for the main train station.
Old January 8th 21, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luns Tee[_5_]

On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 9:02:12 AM UTC-8, wrote:
460 bicycles for sale in the San Francisco Bay area:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/bia?sort=rel&query=bicycles

That seems to be just listings that use the word 'bicycles' in the listing title, and is a larger portion of results than I'd have expected. These are listings of either more than one bike, or of bikes whose brand includes 'bicycles' in the name. Change your query to 'bicycle' (without the s), and the number of results grows significantly. But to really blow things up, search for 'bike' instead.

Better yet just use no search term at all and just rely on the category placement, and it becomes enough results to get capped at 3000 items. There are many listings where the name is just the year and model, but without the word bike, or bicycle in the title. It seems most sellers assume that to be obvious from the category their listing is in, despite that not being obvious to craigslist's search engine.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/d/bicycles/search/bia

Just for kicks, take a look at

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/d/bicyc...ike%20-bicycle

-Luns
Old January 10th 21, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 15:47:50 -0800 (PST), Luns Tee
wrote:

On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 9:02:12 AM UTC-8, wrote:
460 bicycles for sale in the San Francisco Bay area:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/bia?sort=rel&query=bicycles

That seems to be just listings that use the word 'bicycles' in the
listing title, and is a larger portion of results than I'd have
expected. These are listings of either more than one bike, or of
bikes whose brand includes 'bicycles' in the name. Change your
query to 'bicycle' (without the s), and the number of results grows
significantly. But to really blow things up, search for 'bike' instead.

Yep. That's the way I started. I could probably contrive a
complicate search string to minimize the false hits, but I think it
would be futile because, as you demonstrated, 805 hits in the SF Bay
Area "bicycle" category returned hits without having "bike" or
"bicycle" in the title. I'll try to be more careful the next time I
post a search URL. Thanks.

Better yet just use no search term at all and just rely on the
category placement, and it becomes enough results to get capped
at 3000 items.

I wanted a real number to demonstrate how Tom's search string could be
improved.

There are many listings where the name is just the year and model,
but without the word bike, or bicycle in the title. It seems most
sellers assume that to be obvious from the category their listing
is in, despite that not being obvious to craigslist's search engine.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/d/bicycles/search/bia

Just for kicks, take a look at

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/d/bicyc...ike%20-bicycle

Yep, that's also a problem when searching eBay and Amazon.

Interestingly, I happen to blunder across someone selling a bicycle
almost exactly like mine:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/d/san-francisco-1997-gary-fisher-tassajara/7259096816.html
Mine:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Gary-Fisher-Tassajara.JPG
My guess as to what mine was worth was very close. However, the
bicycle for sale might have the stock cranks, which were recalled by
Shimano in 1997:
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/information/customer-services/recalls-and-repairs/fc-ct90-m920-mc12-cranks.html
Hmmm... do I really need a spare bicycle?

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 11th 21, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Joy Beeson wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jan 2021 08:00:38 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Here, more and more you see pedestrian bridges to cross streets and
roads. Primarily in the city but they are also being built "up
country". Logically the same idea could be applied to a bicycle
path... if enough money was available.

Many years ago I read about a plan to build a bike lane that crossed
streets on bridges. The planners found out the steepest hill that a
young healthy bike rider could struggle up, and then put such hills
one block apart, at least eight to the mile.

I don't recall hearing that the facility was actually built.

London did build some of this in the 50’/60’s or at least for pedestrians
called Pedways largely mothballs by the 80’s is some remaining nr my works
head office and in the area is the odd disconnected walk way or simply
tunnel though a building but no way of getting to it etc.

As in general cities are much less likely to build for cars now, can’t see
much happening from now on.

Roger Merriman

Economics not bicycle tech AMuzi Techniques 209 April 12th 20 03:37 AM
bicycle tech? AMuzi Techniques 2 July 22nd 15 04:04 AM
[Actual bicycle tech] BBB cassette NQR James[_8_] Techniques 6 October 31st 11 12:02 AM
Understanding rec.bicycle.tech ratings? Tom Nakashima Techniques 8 April 17th 07 07:57 PM
Bicycle bell - apolitical tech query [email protected] UK 13 November 16th 06 11:21 PM