Jeremy Vine films motorist driving down Hyde Park cycle path

Old January 10th 21, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Jeremy Vine films motorist driving down Hyde Park cycle path

Broadcaster Jeremy Vine has posted a video to Twitter of a motorist driving along a segregated cycle path in Hyde Park before mounting the pavement to get back on the road.

The video was shot on Thursday afternoon as Vine cycled south through the park along West Carriage Drive.

Vine pithily suggests that drivers in the area have acquired an increased sense of entitlement because the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC) is “ripping out cycle lanes.”

This is a reference to the pop-up lane on Kensington High Street, the removal of which the council has today said it is to reconsider.

However, as Vine notes in his video, RBKC does not in fact maintain the roads within Hyde Park, which are the responsibility of Royal Parks.

In 2014 Vine was stopped by a police officer for speeding in Hyde Park after being clocked cycling at 16mph.

Royal Parks later told him that there was no legal speed limit for cyclists in Hyde Park, but cyclists were asked to adhere to the 5mph speed limit that applies to motorists on the path he had been on.

https://road.cc/content/news/jeremy-...le-path-279951
Old January 11th 21, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

On 10/01/2021 20:52, wrote:
[...]

Happy New Year to all!
With regard to Jeremy Vine I have come across a clip him apparently
riding a "Penny Farthing",
https://road.cc/content/news/cycling...ry-2021-279963
and pondered the legalities of such a contraption on the road
ie. no reflectors, no lights and maybe no brakes (Front or rear)
This after another rider was undone by a white van crossing his path:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1346124231340298242
Any thoughts?
(I am bored!)
Old January 13th 21, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 11/01/2021 19:32, colwyn wrote:

Happy New Year to all!
With regard to Jeremy Vine I have come across a clip him apparently
riding a "Penny Farthing",
https://road.cc/content/news/cycling...ry-2021-279963
and pondered the legalities of such a contraption on the road
ie. no reflectors, no lights and maybe no brakes (Front or rear)

There's no reason why they can't have reflectors. I expect brakes come
under the same rule as fixies.

Here is a modern one, not a replica -
https://www.unicycle.co.uk/penny-far...SABEgJ0Y_D_BwE

This after another rider was undone by a white van crossing his path:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1346124231340298242
Any thoughts?
(I am bored!)

Try one for a bit of excitement. Perhaps best to stay off busy suburban
streets though.

I have ridden a 36 incher. I didn't have difficulty on the mount and the
high COG makes it very stable and easy to steer[*]. It is a bit odd to
have a pedalling reaction on the steering but that is easy to accommodate.

I didn't master the stop and dismount but at 36 inches all I had to do
was to tip off sideways. 50+ would be much more daunting.

[*] the "experts" never did explain their theory of why raising the COG
with a backpack makes a cyclist less stable. Apart from s'obvious, innit.
Old January 13th 21, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_13_]

On 13/01/2021 17:27, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

Did you never ever encounter the Principle of Moments in senior school
(first year, General Science)?

Jeremy Vine on 5's 'dobbing in drivers' Simon Mason[_6_] UK 0 July 17th 20 01:30 PM
Jeremy Vine stopped from cycling Tom Crispin UK 68 September 4th 09 06:37 PM
Jeremy bloody Vine Paul Boyd UK 22 March 6th 07 07:35 PM
Jeremy Vine - Radio 2 NOW Paul Boyd UK 5 August 2nd 06 08:36 AM
Jeremy Vine TODAY wafflycat UK 19 June 23rd 06 06:53 PM