Winter gear

Old January 11th 21, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Winter gear

On 1/10/2021 8:20 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 5:38:37 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/10/2021 7:38 PM, jbeattie wrote:

EPILOG: Yesterday was a blue-bird day, but today was mostly rain and 40F to start (coldish but not terrible) and I decided to ride with somewhat fatter gloves and realized that I hate fatter gloves because its so hard getting stuff out of the jersey pocket, like a Cliff Bar.

Ahem: Try a handlebar bag. ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

For a Cliff Bar? Seems like overkill, and I would have to unzip it with my fatty gloves, although I supposed it could have Velcro. I thought your response would be "you could just stop" -- but that wasn't the vibe today. I wish it had been. I was tired from riding yesterday, and my friends weren't.

-- Jay Beattie.

Hidden handlebar bag problem:

An employee, long ago, pulled out an unheated Powerbar, bit
into it and pulled, which snapped off a front tooth. Food
kept next to one's body is probably a good technique.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 11th 21, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 8:20:35 PM UTC-6, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 5:38:37 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/10/2021 7:38 PM, jbeattie wrote:

EPILOG: Yesterday was a blue-bird day, but today was mostly rain and 40F to start (coldish but not terrible) and I decided to ride with somewhat fatter gloves and realized that I hate fatter gloves because its so hard getting stuff out of the jersey pocket, like a Cliff Bar.

Ahem: Try a handlebar bag. ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

For a Cliff Bar? Seems like overkill, and I would have to unzip it with my fatty gloves, although I supposed it could have Velcro. I thought your response would be "you could just stop" -- but that wasn't the vibe today. I wish it had been. I was tired from riding yesterday, and my friends weren't..

-- Jay Beattie.

I am a STOP person for eating or drinking. Or getting anything out of jersey pockets. I never ever get anything out of jersey pockets while riding. And rarely ever get the bottle out of its cage while riding. On epic long distance rides I will sometimes drink from the bottle while riding.
Old January 11th 21, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 6:44:32 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. I'm basically the opposite when it comes to weekend riding, although I'll stop to eat something on a long ride, usually some place with a view.
https://isocarp.org/app/uploads/2017/08/Vista-House.jpg Yesterday was just 45 miles through east county with two friends, but we didn't stop except at lights -- and I don't think my friends ate anything, and in fact, one was doing a Sunday fast, although he had magic potion mixed up in his water bottle. For that length of ride, I usually don't eat anything either, but yesterday I was hungry. I also had some magical potion in my water, but I wasn't drinking a lot. When its cold and raining, I absorb moisture from the atmosphere.

I got pretty good at eating and drinking on-bike back in the racing days. I switched to mostly drink-based carb sources in my final years of racing due in some small part to riding on a team with a jersey that had the rear pockets cut so high that you had to be double jointed to get anything out of the pockets. Plus, eating something solid is often inconsistent with hard breathing. Muzi mentioned those vile PowerBars that were like doggie chew-bones even on warm days. I probably spit out more PowerBars than I ate because I couldn't chew them fast enough to eat, race and breathe.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 11th 21, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/10/2021 9:20 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 5:38:37 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/10/2021 7:38 PM, jbeattie wrote:

EPILOG: Yesterday was a blue-bird day, but today was mostly rain and 40F to start (coldish but not terrible) and I decided to ride with somewhat fatter gloves and realized that I hate fatter gloves because its so hard getting stuff out of the jersey pocket, like a Cliff Bar.

Ahem: Try a handlebar bag. ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

For a Cliff Bar? Seems like overkill, and I would have to unzip it with my fatty gloves, although I supposed it could have Velcro.

The handlebar bag is not just for a Cliff bar. It's also for the jacket
I take off, paper towels for a runny nose, a cable lock, a monocular,
perhaps a camera, and anything else I deem useful for a particular ride.
It enables me to carry home a fast food meal or a half gallon of milk I
remembered to buy near the ride's end. It's versatile, and makes the
bike more practical.

Two commercial handlebar bags on my bikes have zippers, but I almost
never bother to close them. They open toward me and close on their own.
The only time something is likely to fall out is when I lay the bike on
the ground, and they have velcro tabs that are adequate for that.

The two handlebar bags I designed and made myself also open toward me. I
didn't install zippers, and not only because that's probably beyond my
sewing skills. The bags just sort of hook or clip closed. That's all
that's needed. For the very few times those bikes are carried on car
racks, I use a mini-bungee to keep them closed, or I can take them off
if I wish.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 11th 21, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

EPILOG: Yesterday was a blue-bird day, but today was mostly rain and 40F to start (coldish but not terrible) and I decided to ride with somewhat fatter gloves and realized that I hate fatter gloves because its so hard getting stuff out of the jersey pocket, like a Cliff Bar.
Ahem: Try a handlebar bag. ;-)

For a Cliff Bar? Seems like overkill, and I would have to unzip it with my fatty gloves, although I supposed it could have Velcro. I thought your response would be "you could just stop" -- but that wasn't the vibe today. I wish it had been. I was tired from riding yesterday, and my friends weren't.

Sometimes when I want to carry a little extra food on a long ride I use a small
top tube bag:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOY3ZY6

The top flips shut and is held closed with Velcro. It works fine with mittens
or bulky gloves.

Old January 11th 21, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 8:06:45 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Frank, I just wanted a Cliff Bar. It was the only thing in my jersey pocket except a face mask. I forgot my cell-phone with the little license and credit card pockets (great convenient case). No need for monocular, camera, paper towels, cable locks, clothing, Chihuahuas or my knitting. I have a grocery bike with nice waterproof Ortlieb panniers that I use for shopping. A handlebar bag on my fast rain bike would have been wet, rattling deadweight. If my nose runs, I wipe it with the back of my glove. When it is pouring rain, who notices -- I could just let it run. I can even drool -- even a little light vomit would be unnoticed when its raining hard.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 11th 21, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/11/2021 12:32 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Fine. We differ. Your riding style is to equip yourself as closely as
you can to a pro racer, but without a team car for support; and to ride
in a way to make yourself competitive for fast rides next racing season,
even though you won't have a next racing season.

My riding style is to equip myself like a guy who's ready to support
myself and my riding friends. To maybe stop to view the scenery or watch
a soaring hawk. To maybe drop in at a cafe or library. A couple pounds
on my bike won't bother me. I'm done with suffer-fests and racing dreams.

Come to think of it, I'm done with Cliff bars. But if I wanted one, my
method wouldn't have me complaining about how hard it is to get one.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 11th 21, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Pfff. My goal is to not have a bunch of rattling **** on my bike as I ride over hill and dale in wind and rain. And hey, I might race next season if I drop my COVID fat -- but that's beside the point. Why carry a bunch of junk getting wet in the bottom of a handlebar bag for no reason? Not having a monocular is O.K. by me. Paper towel? Are you kidding? I'm riding pouring rain. I'd be better off with a sponge.

So what -- would you like a cookie? I see more soaring hawks than I can shake stick at. Just sitting in my office at work, I see dozens. https://www..youtube.com/watch?v=sZj...hannel=KGWNews

While riding around with no handlebar bag and a Cliff Bar in my pocket, I see hawks and deer and squirrels and fuzzy little (hazardous) bunnies -- chickens, cows, llamas. I can even see salmon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo-X...nnel=fekaylius (in Sandy).

I get gorgeous vistas over the Gorge.https://seatosummit.net/wp-content/u...5/lsdfigjv.jpg We were riding a little west of this: https://tinyurl.com/y37jshwq You couldn't see the mountain or anything else because of the rain and clouds. I can snap a picture with my iPhone. I can go to a coffee shop because I have a credit card. In fact, they've given me such a ridiculous credit line, I could buy a Mercedes and drive home. I could support my riding buddies for thousands of miles, even buy them a plane flight with my Alaska miles -- and a hotel room if things got really rough. I could even get off my bike and go drip in a library with my wet jacket. All sans handlebar bag.

And I'm not riding with the f***** Donner Party. If something really bad happened, I'd call my wife or Uber. When I cartwheeled over my son and broke my hand a few years back, my wife graciously picked us up at the Stone Cliff Inn. https://tinyurl.com/y3eplr73 Thank you Stone Cliff Inn for the ice packs. If I'd had a handlebar bag, I could have bought my own ice packs -- and my Joerg approved portable MASH unit. Most of the crazy stuff that has happened to me would not have been remedied with whatever you have in your handlebar bag, unless it is a spare crank arm.

Come to think of it, I'm done with Cliff bars. But if I wanted one, my
method wouldn't have me complaining about how hard it is to get one.

I complained about thick gloves, which also made it hard to grab my pit-zips. I overcame all obstacles by taking off one glove, getting my Cliff Bar and putting my glove back on -- all while riding. No handlebar bag needed. I'm not against handlebar bags, I just don't need one for weekend riding at something greater than a COPD pace.

This will drive you crazy: my rain bike has Di2 and discs.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 11th 21, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 8, 2021 at 3:21:02 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Surprisingly in Illinois the last 3 days have been ok to ride outside. No wind and the snow and ice off roads. I manage 51 miles today with temps at about 34 degrees not too much wind less than 10 mph and the last 10 home were tailing. Maybe can ride out a lot this winter who knows?

I have a GoreWear jacket the is tremendous have it at least 4-5 years. It works with only a good heavy base layer top underneath that takes away moisture. I then put on my trusty Mizuno Running pants with base layer polyester long johns. That works really good I don't sweat and stay warm.

Now I am seeing the Gorewear has some like long pants at around $110. Has anyone tried them or used them? I don't know if they would be much better than what I have but the Gorewwear jacket is outstanding.

Along with this Garmin sent me a new heart rate strap my old one stopped working. The new one is bluetooth and can be used with a phone app too. I found it was a bit hard to pair at first but today was superior to my old one. Garmin does a good job on customer service.

Finally in the tech world of bikes cold has zero effect on mechanic shimano I assume Di2 is same?
Deacon Mark

For winter riding in the real cold freezing weather, my Pearl Izumi tights with a nylon front and no chamois are great. I wear a set of normal tights with chamois underneath and put these over the top. The two layers and wind front nylon help keep you warm. Also as I have learned from one too many cold rides, it helps to fold up a paper towel and stick it down the front of tights over top of the family jewels. Keeps them from getting too cold..

These are what I have. Amfib is on the label.
https://www.brandscycle.com/product/...RoCorUQAvD_BwE

Vacnouver, BC Fall / Winter clothing gear help John Macmillan General 11 September 2nd 06 10:27 PM
FA: Winter shoes, winter tights, Serfas saddle John Verheul Marketplace 0 January 4th 06 05:02 PM
Winter cycling gear John Hearns UK 29 November 17th 05 12:20 PM
Aldi winter gear All I Said Was UK 11 September 30th 05 09:35 PM
FA: High End Cycling Gear and Winter Clothes Bikeparts Marketplace 0 December 6th 04 01:02 PM