Near Miss of the Day 520: Cyclist hit by driver's door mirror comingunder narrow bridge

Old January 13th 21, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Near Miss of the Day 520: Cyclist hit by driver's door mirror comingunder narrow bridge

The latest video in our Near Miss of the Day series shows the moment a cyclist was struck by the door mirror of a motorist driving under a narrow bridge.

Richard, the road.cc reader who sent in the clip of the incident, which happened just after the first lockdown was eased last year, said: "I had had so many unpleasant experiences with drivers at this time that I decided to fit a camera to my bike. I'm glad I did.

"I have not submitted it before as the driver wanted me to pay for his door mirror which hit me.

"He called the police who attended, interviewed us both and took our details. They then told me it was a civil matter and left us to it.

"They were very nice. I showed them the video on my dash cam which I think helped, you will see that the road sign indicates I have right of way under the bridge.

"I have heard nothing since but I was relieved that I was covered by insurance as part of my British Cycling membership."

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...-bridge-280003
Old January 13th 21, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_13_]

On 13/01/2021 17:50, wrote:

[...]

By "right of way" (which, actually, all road users have at that
location), he obviously means "priority".

With or without priority, would *you* do what he did, hurtling into that
narrow space which was clearly insufficiently wide for safe progress?

I wouldn't have.

Irrespective of whether anyone else was in the wrong, shouldn't he have
stopped or slowed right down?