DIY question

Old September 19th 05, 10:01 AM
John Hearns

Default DIY question

Mildly off-topic, and maybe more appropriate to uk.d-i-y

I saw this on ACF http://www.theartofstorage.com/monet.html
Looks quite nice to me, and I'm looking at the space above
the bed in the spare room. Its wasted space at the moment.

The question is that if I bolted a rack like this to a plasterboard
wall, how easy would it be to put the wall back to its
original condition once it is removed? Standard stud partition walls.
I would probably have to find the wooden studs in the wall anyway,
and screw into that as I wouldn't trust the plasterboard alone.

Rambling off further, I put up a nice metal pot rack from Ikea,
but measured some holes wrong and had to plug them with filler.
The result isn't all that great.
Is there an art to filling such holes, or would the only real answer be to
re-board the wall?
Old September 19th 05, 10:24 AM
Mark Tranchant

John Hearns wrote:

Rambling off further, I put up a nice metal pot rack from Ikea,
but measured some holes wrong and had to plug them with filler.
The result isn't all that great.
Is there an art to filling such holes, or would the only real answer be to
re-board the wall?

Fill them as smoothly as you can with a knife, then go over them
meticulously with increasingly fine wet'n'dry sandpaper. With care and
time, you can make it invisible.

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/

Old September 20th 05, 09:34 AM
NJF

John Hearns wrote:
Mildly off-topic, and maybe more appropriate to uk.d-i-y

I saw this on ACF http://www.theartofstorage.com/monet.html
Looks quite nice to me, and I'm looking at the space above
the bed in the spare room. Its wasted space at the moment.

The question is that if I bolted a rack like this to a plasterboard
wall, how easy would it be to put the wall back to its
original condition once it is removed? Standard stud partition walls.
I would probably have to find the wooden studs in the wall anyway,
and screw into that as I wouldn't trust the plasterboard alone.

Rambling off further, I put up a nice metal pot rack from Ikea,
but measured some holes wrong and had to plug them with filler.
The result isn't all that great.
Is there an art to filling such holes, or would the only real answer be to
re-board the wall?

Ask on uk.d-i-y but no with careful application of filler followed with
sanding down second filler application and finishing (polycell ads are
not true to life) you shouldn't be able to spot a filled hole.
Old September 21st 05, 10:02 AM
Tony

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:34:53 +0100, NJF wrote:

Rambling off further, I put up a nice metal pot rack from Ikea,
but measured some holes wrong and had to plug them with filler.
The result isn't all that great.
Is there an art to filling such holes, or would the only real answer be to
re-board the wall?

Ask on uk.d-i-y but no with careful application of filler followed with
sanding down second filler application and finishing (polycell ads are
not true to life) you shouldn't be able to spot a filled hole.

What I do whenever I b*ll*x it up is get some of those kids' stickers
from local newsagent and put them over the un-needed orifices.
Quicker, cheaper, less effort and people say 'What a super idea to
brighten up the walls'. You see, you can fool all of the people some
of the time.

Tony