Bike ban in Victoria

Old December 20th 07, 06:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

Default Bike ban in Victoria

"flyingdutch" wrote:

cfsmtb Wrote:

There's rumours/noises that BV didn't oppose the ban

Bollox. Ain't fourth hand info grand?
So unusual for the PTUA to swallow V-Line's, err, line

We knew nothing of the V-Line ban.

Yes, but then it seems you rolled over pretty smartly, even swallowing
V-line's lie that not all trains have luggage space! Utter ********!

Holland, Germany and many other Euro countries have had similar rules
in place for a few years (some many years...) and provide good parking
at stations.

And they provide excellent long distance trains with plenty of bike
carriage space. German ICE trains half the whole half of the font carriage
for bikes, seperated by a glass/perspex partition from passenger seats. It
can be done, if their is a political will. Or doesn't BV care?

Not happy Jan.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old December 20th 07, 07:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jack Russell

PeteSig wrote:
"flyingdutch" wrote:

cfsmtb Wrote:

There's rumours/noises that BV didn't oppose the ban

Bollox. Ain't fourth hand info grand?
So unusual for the PTUA to swallow V-Line's, err, line

We knew nothing of the V-Line ban.

Yes, but then it seems you rolled over pretty smartly, even swallowing
V-line's lie that not all trains have luggage space! Utter ********!

Holland, Germany and many other Euro countries have had similar rules
in place for a few years (some many years...) and provide good parking
at stations.

And they provide excellent long distance trains with plenty of bike
carriage space. German ICE trains half the whole half of the font carriage
for bikes, seperated by a glass/perspex partition from passenger seats. It
can be done, if their is a political will. Or doesn't BV care?

Not happy Jan.

I am not happy either but I am not sure it fair to blame BV. It seems a
whole mind set in Australia that no politician wants to provide any real
infrastructure, after all it takes more than 3 years and does not get
one a seat on the MacQuarie W**nk board. I am a NSW resident but am a
member of BV just because I believe they have been the leading light in
getting some bicycle infrastructure in Australia.

Jack Russell

--
Remove norubbish to reply
Old December 20th 07, 08:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_544_]

flyingdutch Wrote:
Bollox. Ain't fourth hand info grand?
So unusual for the PTUA to swallow V-Line's, err, line

All right then, I'll follow this up with the PTUA again & duly inform
them of your professional opinion of them.

--
cfsmtb

Old December 20th 07, 08:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
flyingdutch[_85_]

cfsmtb Wrote:
All right then, I'll follow this up with the PTUA again & duly inform
them of your professional opinion of them.

The PTUA are taking comments re VLine's 'lines' ???

PS it's spelt 'MISinform'

--
flyingdutch

Old December 20th 07, 09:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle

The crazy thing is I've now called Vline Customer service twice (on
12th and today) and they still don't know anything about bikes being
banned on the Vline peak trains. Vline CS haven't even responded to my
first request for info over a week ago now, and I was assured I'd get
a reply within 7 days.

BV's response a week ago was that they had heard the rumour but
couldn't do anything about it - they suggested to CC them in on any
correspondence to VLine and they could then follow this up.

I've spoke to some of Conductors, and a number say they won't enforce
it, but some might. The bike/luggage bays on the new trains will be
empty for most of the day!

I have a 25min bike ride to work from the station (no public
transport) and I don't even have the option of keeping a bike at the
Station (St Albans) as there are only 6 lockers and they were snapped
up when built (people paid $75 and its permanently theirs until they
don't want it anymore).

And there are no early non peak trains in the morning - earliest I
could get to work is about 10:40am!

Time to write some objectionable letters/emails - Too bad Lynne Kosky
doesn't like being bothered unless it's important!
Old December 20th 07, 11:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

John Tserkezis wrote:

Just goes to show, they appear to hate cyclists more than the morons
who are happy to cart around their 40Kg luggage from the airport.

John, beg to differ. They are not morons. They are socially and
environmentally aware travellers. I'm sure we would all prefer them to
catch a train than use a car (or even a taxi).

And nobody carries 40Kg of luggage for a plane flight unless they really
have to (and can afford it). That would cost almost as much as an extra
air fare.
Old December 20th 07, 08:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

Patrick Keogh wrote:
John Tserkezis wrote:

Just goes to show, they appear to hate cyclists more than the morons
who are happy to cart around their 40Kg luggage from the airport.

John, beg to differ. They are not morons. They are socially and
environmentally aware travellers. I'm sure we would all prefer them to
catch a train than use a car (or even a taxi).

And nobody carries 40Kg of luggage for a plane flight unless they really
have to (and can afford it). That would cost almost as much as an extra
air fare.

True... but why on earth 20kg of clothes in a large suitcase?!?!

I flew to QLD from Vic on work this week and my suitcase was small
enough to go on as carry on luggage and weighed about 3kg. On that
basis I could carry almost 2 months worth of clothes in 20kg... and yes
I changed each day, and no I didn't wash clothes up there.

G-S
Old December 20th 07, 09:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

G-S wrote:

True... but why on earth 20kg of clothes in a large suitcase?!?!

I flew to QLD from Vic on work this week and my suitcase was small
enough to go on as carry on luggage and weighed about 3kg. On that
basis I could carry almost 2 months worth of clothes in 20kg... and yes
I changed each day, and no I didn't wash clothes up there.

I felt I should explain my figures since they appear to be in dispute.

While I *did* pluck that number out of the air, I really don't know how
heavy any particular person wants to travel. Personally, I do it light, but
after hearing about how a family friend did it overseas, I changed my mind on
what heavy could be.

Staying overseas for about three months, she had lots of... hair.
Hairspray was big in that era. Had to carry three months worth of clothes
(couldn't have herself wearing the same outfit twice!), along with three
months worth of hairspray too. Not travelling to a third world country- far
from it, but couldn't risk running out just in case. ...Just too important...

Paid hundreds of dollars in weight charges.

This is of no consequence because daddy was paying for it.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org
Old December 20th 07, 09:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 21 Dec 2007 07:38:32 +1100
G-S wrote:

True... but why on earth 20kg of clothes in a large suitcase?!?!

May not be all they have.

I have flown with easy 30kg of stuff. A few clothes and a bunch of
camping and fighting gear.

ObBicycle: Apparently you can fit a stick type bent into a bike box, you just
have to get creative... Alternatively there are people who are
cutting their frames and joining them with S&S couplers. I dunno I'd
ever be travelling *that* much.

Zebee