Riding a bike in London is risky business

Old August 5th 10, 06:32 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Chris[_9_]

Default Riding a bike in London is risky business

On 02/08/2010 22:05, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
Movement of Tantra-Hammock wrote:
On Aug 2, 2:52 pm, wrote:
On 31/07/2010 21:04, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

Movement of Tantra-Hammock wrote:
On Jul 31, 2:39 pm, "Colin wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:11:20 +0100, Tony
wrote:

Chris wrote:

In London a lot of cyclists have been run down by trucks turning left,
equivalent to right turn in the US, as a lot tend to undertake, pass
the passenger side of vehicles. The attitude of a lot of cyclists does
not help though as a lot run red lights, ride on pavements and go down
one way streets the wrong way.

Not a lot actually. Ten or less a year are hit by trucks which, for 180
million cycle journeys a year means its pretty rare. And easily avoided
by giving the big trucks a bit more room and respect.

Quite. And as rather fewer than 10 a year, on average, are killed by other
vehicles, you can halve your already minuscule risk of death simply by
being very careful around lorries:
- don't pass (on either side) unless it can't possibly move in the time it
takes to get past.
- if in front, be where the driver can see you, and make eye contact to
make sure he HAS seen you.
- if to the side with priority, ride in a prominent position but be ready
to stop until you know the driver's seen you.

If you want to halve your chance of injury, do the same with other
vehicles, and ride a door's width from parked cars.

My proposal to MANDATE VISIBLE CLOTHING/VEST/LYCRA would help quite a
bit. No clothing, no rights.

So would better cycle education for both cyclists and drivers. Does the
cycling proficiency test still exist?

--
Chris

I don't know, but I know that...

It takes two to tango. I think it can work quite well with mandating
the cars to exit the lane whenever possible and mandating the cyclists
to wear something bright to have full protection.

Notice I'm NOT for mandating helmets or obeying every traffic signal
out there.

Bright clothing does not protect but knowing the best way to cycle on
the road does as well as obeying traffic signals, fancy being run down
by cyclist at pedestrian crossing. Its the same argument about level
crossings, drivers still drive around barriers when they are down and
are often crushed by the train despite flashing lights, bells and a half
barrier to warn them. So do you think bright clothing will make the
cyclist cycle better or the driver drive better you just make a better
target

--
Chris
Old August 5th 10, 07:20 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

It's not only my opinion but that of the article at the heading. I
think the most often heard excuse for an accident with a bike is "I
didn't see him." You can even argue better in court, which is
important if you survive.

It also shows that you are more serious about it. It's the opposite of
a jungle where you want to be camouflaged from the predators. But
often poisonous snakes are bright to advertise the danger too.
Old August 6th 10, 05:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Chris[_9_]

wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

Fair enough but I was just making the point that it needs more than HV
clothing to improve safety.

--
Chris
Old August 6th 10, 07:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

You gotta do your best and hope it's good enough. Sometimes a cyclist
could become camouflaged in plain sight, like coming from a side
street. Whenever I buy something small I don't want to misplace, I go
bright. Even tools for the bike can "disappear" in your bag when black.