The joys of cycling in London

Old November 2nd 11, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default The joys of cycling in London

QUOTE:

"One day last week I borrowed one of this newspaper's Brompton fold-up
bicycles and took it for a spin along the south bank of the Thames. As
a comparative novice, I could suddenly see the point of cycling. It
was a lovely day: the sun shone, and the air was fresh and crisp.
Cycling means that you're part of your surroundings but at the same
time slightly detached, because you're higher-up and you're travelling
faster than the people on the pavement.

This is a pleasant feeling; it's better than walking. You're
invigorated by the heart beating faster and the lungs filling with
air. You pass all human life – fast enough to see what's going on and
to get away. Here is an extremely brief glimpse of my bicycle trip.

From Wandsworth I travelled to Putney along the bank of the river,
with only a few detours on side roads. I whizzed through Wandsworth
Park, opposite the Hurlingham Club, which gleams white through trees
on the opposite bank. I overtook a platoon of cashmere-wrapped yummy
mummies who strolled, five abreast, with their big Bugaboo prams.

In Putney I sped down a tree-lined road where a group of Scandinavians
– tourists, they looked like – had stopped to peer at a front garden
populated with about 20 painted gnomes. That was interesting enough,
but the most intriguing sight I passed that afternoon was a man
returning – home? to a friend's house? – with his Waitrose shopping.
He looked like anyone else. But who knows what strains were bearing
down on him? As he turned in to the driveway I saw him fish a half-
bottle of vodka out of his carrier bag and lift it to his lips.

All of this makes bicycling fun, for me. The trouble is, as an
infrequent cyclist, by the time I arrive at my destination I'm
drenched in what some people used to call a "muck sweat". Assuming I
can't have a shower and change into fresh clothes, what should I do
about this?"

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/an...around-london/

--
Simon Mason
Old November 2nd 11, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Scion

Simon Mason wrote:

The trouble is, as an
infrequent cyclist, by the time I arrive at my destination I'm
drenched in what some people used to call a "muck sweat". Assuming I
can't have a shower and change into fresh clothes, what should I do
about this?"

Take the car, obviously :-)
Old November 2nd 11, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 2, 5:10*pm, Scion wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
The trouble is, as an
infrequent cyclist, by the time I arrive at my destination I'm
drenched in what some people used to call a "muck sweat". Assuming I
can't have a shower and change into fresh clothes, what should I do
about this?"

Take the car, obviously :-)

Or get fitter by cycling regularly.

--
Simon Mason

The joys of cycling as seen through the eyes of a runner Simon Mason[_4_] UK 0 August 11th 11 08:24 AM
A cycling newbie on his new found joys Simon Mason UK 1 August 9th 11 05:44 PM
London cycling Jack Russell Australia 1 March 16th 08 06:39 AM
Cycling in London John Clayton UK 4 August 12th 07 10:11 PM
one of the joys of cycling... greggery peccary General 56 March 12th 05 03:46 PM