The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

Old May 28th 04, 11:14 AM
Helen Deborah Vecht

Default The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

"AndyMorris" typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

I don't think so.
David and I were in Northern Italy a few weeks ago and were struck by
the number of cyclists, (both leisure and utility) on the roads. The
terrain was certainly not flat outside Meran(o) but the planners had
made the environment *much* less hostile than we find locally.
There were some dedicated cycle tracks. Cyclists were mostly on the
road and the motorists were patient and tolerant. Our hosts'
6-year-old daughter was allowed to cycle to the playground (about 3/4
mile) by herself on the road.
Her road skill weren't too clever.

Do you think the kudos associated with cycle sports in Italy rubs off on
leisure and utility cycling.

Does an italian middle age fat bloke popping down the shops on his bianchi
have a little bit of a Fausto Coppi fantasy, the way a british bloke going
to B&Q in his mondaeo might have a Colin Macrae moment?

Possibly but there were plenty of very ordinary middle-aged women on
town bikes, whose minds were more likely to be on the road or shopping
list.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 28th 04, 01:03 PM
Dave Larrington

Richard wrote:

I also recall a report whereby a young whippersnapper, doing something
excessive on a motorway, was pulled over. He was asked, "Who do you
think you are, Nigel Mansell?" Which was indeed his name, although
he wasn't the NM of bushy moustache fame.

Whereas I recently read about a bloke pulled for speeding in his 911 on,
/mirabile dictu/, the M25.

Plod: 'oo you fink you are, sonny? Nigel Mansell?
Ayrton Senna (for it is he): Er...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old May 28th 04, 02:00 PM
Tumbleweed

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"AndyMorris" typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

[...]

Who'se to say their minds weren't on a Fausto Coppi fantasy as well? Though
possibly not one involving a bicycle race.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old May 28th 04, 02:03 PM
Tumbleweed

"Richard" wrote in message
Simonb wrote:
Is that similar to the old "Stirling Moss" moment, as when the police
pulled you up and asked "Who you do you think you are then, Stirling
Moss?"

Apparently that once happened to Stirling Moss :-)

I also recall a report whereby a young whippersnapper, doing something
excessive on a motorway, was pulled over. He was asked, "Who do you
think you are, Nigel Mansell?" Which was indeed his name, although he
wasn't the NM of bushy moustache fame.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funn...me/2285451.stm

(second story)

Old May 28th 04, 02:09 PM
Ian G Batten

In article ,
Richard wrote:
I also recall a report whereby a young whippersnapper, doing something
excessive on a motorway, was pulled over. He was asked, "Who do you
think you are, Nigel Mansell?" Which was indeed his name, although he
wasn't the NM of bushy moustache fame.

The story is told, with reasonable amounts of verification from some of
the people involved, of the car driven by Ayrton Senna, with Mauricio
Gugelmin in the passenger seat --- who was the McLaren test driver that
season --- being stopped on the way from Didcot to Heathrow. Ayrton
was, of course, asked ``Who do you think you are, Nigel Mansell?''. He
was not 'appy.

ian

Old May 28th 04, 09:45 PM
David Hansen

On 23 May 2004 12:35:07 -0700 someone who may be
(bikerider7) wrote this:-

Scandal of our deadly cycle lanes

I note that
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/traffi...ing%20Standard
asserts that, "Ms McCreery died after colliding with a bus on 10
May."

I suspect that this is an outright lie. Had she collided with the
bus then I suspect she would still be alive. I suspect that the bus
driver collided with her, but the mass media is careful to avoid
stating the truth in this sort of case.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old May 28th 04, 10:36 PM
Tony Raven

(bikerider7) wrote this:-

Scandal of our deadly cycle lanes

I note that

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/traffi...ing%20Standard
asserts that, "Ms McCreery died after colliding with a bus on 10
May."

I suspect that this is an outright lie. Had she collided with the
bus then I suspect she would still be alive. I suspect that the bus
driver collided with her, but the mass media is careful to avoid
stating the truth in this sort of case.

My dictionary has collide as the violent coming together of two moving bodies.
I think therefore that it does not have the implication you think. I would
agree if it said she had hit the bus but with collide the implication is
neutral IMO

Tony

Old May 28th 04, 11:18 PM
Jeremy Parker

Old May 28th 04, 11:57 PM
Tumbleweed

(bikerider7) wrote this:-

Scandal of our deadly cycle lanes

I note that

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/traffi...ing%20Standard
asserts that, "Ms McCreery died after colliding with a bus on 10
May."

I suspect that this is an outright lie. Had she collided with the
bus then I suspect she would still be alive. I suspect that the bus
driver collided with her, but the mass media is careful to avoid
stating the truth in this sort of case.

My dictionary has collide as the violent coming together of two moving

bodies.
I think therefore that it does not have the implication you think. I

would
agree if it said she had hit the bus but with collide the implication is
neutral IMO

Tony

I disagree, I think it does give a not so subtle/subliminal implication it
was her that did it,
ie *she* collided, rather than someone else collided into her.

Old May 29th 04, 12:06 AM
Tony Raven

Tumbleweed wrote:

I disagree, I think it does give a not so subtle/subliminal implication it
was her that did it,
ie *she* collided, rather than someone else collided into her.

FWIW according to the other thread the CTC comment was "Vicki McCreery
died following a collision with a bus"

Tony