crap cycle path

Old May 7th 04, 06:42 PM
davek

Default crap cycle path

I know some of you are interested in these things so here's a cutting from
my local rag:
http://tinyurl.com/3xk3j

The pic isn't very good, but you get the idea. I often use that road and you
won't be surprised to learn that I have never used the cycle path.

d.

Old May 8th 04, 05:15 PM
Simon Mason

"davek" wrote in message
I know some of you are interested in these things so here's a cutting from
my local rag:
http://tinyurl.com/3xk3j

The pic isn't very good, but you get the idea. I often use that road and

you
won't be surprised to learn that I have never used the cycle path.

At first I thought what was the fuss as I thought all of the path was a
cycle path and then I saw the paint. What a joke !
--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old May 9th 04, 08:53 AM
Gippledocks

"davek" wrote in message
I often use that road and you
won't be surprised to learn that I have never used the cycle path.

And in general, isn't this always the way in Britain? Apart from the issue
of street funiture, here's a few more reasons.

Typically roads go directly where you want to go, unlike cycle tracks.
Typically roads continue uninterrupted across junctions, unlike cycle
tracks.
Typically roads have a smooth-ish surface, unlike cycle tracks.
Typically roads are devoid of smashed alco-pop bottles, unlike cycle tracks.
Typically roads get gritted, unlike cycle tracks.
Typically roads have generous minimum turn radii, unlike cycle tracks.
Typically pedestrians on roads watch out for wheeled vehicles, unlike on
cycle tracks.
I could go on...

Really I agree with the oft repeated sentiment that most cycle tracks exist
to be mapped rather than to facilitate cycling. Most cycle track builders
would rather flourish their network's map than its usage figures or impact
on cycle journey times.

--
Individual replies to

less the Misdirections (and note the underscore after r246)

Old May 9th 04, 09:20 AM
Tony Raven

Gippledocks wrote:

Really I agree with the oft repeated sentiment that most cycle tracks exist
to be mapped rather than to facilitate cycling. Most cycle track builders
would rather flourish their network's map than its usage figures or impact
on cycle journey times.

Most cycle tracks are built to achieve the targets for cycle provision set by
Government at minimum possible cost. How good they are is irrelevant provided
you can tick the box on a few more meters of provision. Personally I am all
in favour of that approach as I consider any money spent on cycle tracks is a
waste of money and people should be encouraged to cycle where they belong on
the roads. The less money spent and the less attractive the result is, the
better it is for what I want - cyclists using the roads.

Tony

Old May 10th 04, 01:21 PM
Dave Kahn

"Tony Raven" wrote in message ...

Most cycle tracks are built to achieve the targets for cycle provision set by
Government at minimum possible cost. How good they are is irrelevant
provided you can tick the box on a few more meters of provision.
Personally I am all in favour of that approach as I consider any money spent
on cycle tracks is a waste of money and people should be encouraged to cycle
where they belong on the roads. The less money spent and the less
attractive the result is, the better it is for what I want - cyclists using
the roads.

Surely it would be better not to spend the money in the first place. I
disagree that bad cycling provision encourages cyclists to use the
roads. It simply discourages cycling. Even if you try to ignore the
provision you are affected by it. Cycling outside the lane often
provokes aggression from motorists, and cycling in it is difficult and
sometimes even dangerous.

As far as inexperienced cyclists go, they assume quite reasonably that
the cycle lanes are there to help them. They try to use them and find
the whole experience is unpleasant and threatening. It's all too easy
to make the incorrect assumption that cycling away from the
"protection" of the farcilities must be even worse. No wonder the
numbers cycling seem to fall in direct proportion to the amount spent
on provision.

--
Dave...
Old May 10th 04, 01:33 PM
Dave Kahn

"Gippledocks" . com wrote in message ...

Typically roads have generous minimum turn radii, unlike cycle tracks.

I love some of those 6" wide lanes that bend through 90 degrees with a
radius of about 18". It would tax Danny to stay in them on his
uni-cycle. There's one at the entrance to Syon Park which I used to go
through regularly. As a challenge I occasionally tried to stay in the
lane just to see if I could. No matter how slowly I rode, and I have a
good track stand, I never managed to keep both wheels perfectly in the
lane. A skilled rider on a trials bike could probably do it.

--
Dave...
Old May 10th 04, 01:44 PM
Simonb

Dave Kahn wrote:

A skilled rider on a trials bike could probably do it.

Well, that's alright then 'cos there are loads of trials riders around;
judging by the number of bikes I see with the tiny, lowered, upward-pointing
saddles.

Old May 10th 04, 01:48 PM
Richard Bullock

The local paper in Wilmslow, Cheshire reported on a cycle track which was in
planning - which would be a designated "local cycle route" on the Sustrans
scheme. The planning permission was overturned because it was too
dangerous - the reason? A set of 80 or so steps was to form an integral part
of the cycle route where the cycle track came up against a 1:12 incline
which rises a total of 23 metres. Apparently, the council want to put the
revised plan back up for planning permission. What was the revision I hear
you asking? There would be a little "gutter" style thing where you could
walk your bike up whilst using the steps. I think I'll be sticking to the
road on this bit then.

Old May 10th 04, 02:33 PM
Simon Mason

"Dave Kahn" wrote in message
As far as inexperienced cyclists go, they assume quite reasonably that
the cycle lanes are there to help them. They try to use them and find
the whole experience is unpleasant and threatening. It's all too easy
to make the incorrect assumption that cycling away from the
"protection" of the farcilities must be even worse. No wonder the
numbers cycling seem to fall in direct proportion to the amount spent
on provision.

Hull must be an exception. Our council have spent many millions on cycling
(and anti-car measures)and now we are up from 6 to number 3 as a "cycling
city". Six times the national average now cycle to work.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old May 10th 04, 06:31 PM
Danny Colyer

Dave Kahn wrote:
I love some of those 6" wide lanes that bend through 90 degrees with a
radius of about 18". It would tax Danny to stay in them on his
uni-cycle.

Not on the 20" it wouldn't :-P

url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/