Isle of Wight Randonnee 1st May

Old February 13th 05, 08:50 PM
Not Responding

Default Isle of Wight Randonnee 1st May

Anyone up for the Round the Island ride? Details are here

http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/

and the date for this year's anticlockwise hillfest.

It's now firmly in my diary although I have a strong suspicion that I
will be under a lot pressure to be doing pre-May 5th things instead.
Old February 13th 05, 09:07 PM
Simonb

MartinM wrote:

What happens May 5th?

General election?

Old February 13th 05, 09:10 PM
Simonb

MartinM wrote:

Are they planning to devolve the IOW? should I take a passport?

Wot? You don't need a passport. I'd been putting it off, but now...

Old February 13th 05, 09:18 PM
MartinM

"Simonb" wrote in message
.. .
MartinM wrote:

What happens May 5th?

General election?

Are they planning to devolve the IOW? should I take a passport?

Old February 13th 05, 10:22 PM
Not Responding

Simonb wrote:
MartinM wrote:

What happens May 5th?

General election?

Possibly[1]. And Hampshire County Council elections are a certainty.

[1] If I were a betting man (and my accounts suggest I am), I'd put
money on it.
Old February 14th 05, 11:11 AM
Tim Hall

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:04:11 -0000, "MartinM"
wrote:

"Not Responding" wrote in message
.co.uk...
Anyone up for the Round the Island ride? Details are here

http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/

and the date for this year's anticlockwise hillfest.

It's now firmly in my diary although I have a strong suspicion that I
will be under a lot pressure to be doing pre-May 5th things instead.

Yes, house move permitting, will get the Fishbourne ferry.

Yes,inna Tandem stylee. Along with lots of other tandems. Staying the
weekend near Ryde. Starting at either Havenstreet or Bembridge.

Tim
Old February 14th 05, 09:11 PM
garryb59

Yes, house move permitting, will get the Fishbourne ferry.

I notice that you can start at any of the check points, what's the
best place to begin? Or rather, how do they differ? Or more
specifically, what's the most quiet spot?

I wonder if my recumbent is up it. May well consider it.

cheers
Garry

Old February 14th 05, 09:19 PM
Not Responding

garryb59 wrote:
Yes, house move permitting, will get the Fishbourne ferry.

I notice that you can start at any of the check points, what's the
best place to begin? Or rather, how do they differ? Or more
specifically, what's the most quiet spot?

The most pertinent question in most cases is "which is easiest to get to
from the mainland in good time for 0900?" In my case the answer is
Havenstreet via Fishbourne.

The quietest are going to be the southern ones, although I've never
started from one to confirm this.

However, worry not. Even the starts close to the ferry aren't very
crowded. It's not a big commercial event like L2B etc.

I wonder if my recumbent is up it. May well consider it.

Saw someone on a Trice a few years back. He seemed happy enough.
Old February 14th 05, 10:54 PM
MartinM

garryb59 wrote:
Yes, house move permitting, will get the Fishbourne ferry.

I notice that you can start at any of the check points, what's the
best place to begin? Or rather, how do they differ? Or more
specifically, what's the most quiet spot?

The most pertinent question in most cases is "which is easiest to get to
from the mainland in good time for 0900?" In my case the answer is
Havenstreet via Fishbourne.

You don't have to be at the start points for 0900, the controls are open
until 1800, so in theory you could start at 1500 and still get round all 7
:-)
but most riders get there early. The check points are all the same format, I
have never had to wait more than a couple of riders; it is not a mass start.
The Yarmouth and Bembridge controls have full catering which I can
recommend.

Old February 14th 05, 11:04 PM
JohnB

garryb59 wrote:

Yes, house move permitting, will get the Fishbourne ferry.

I notice that you can start at any of the check points, what's the
best place to begin? Or rather, how do they differ? Or more
specifically, what's the most quiet spot?

I've started at Yarmouth, Alverstoke and Bembridge and all have been
uncrowded. My passing through Havenstreet last year coincided with a
batch of riders off the Fishbourne ferry, but I only had to wait a
minute or two. We did have to queue at Bembridge though, for sarnies and tea.
A couple of years ago, even though over 1000 rode, I hardly saw anyone
else. Riders are spread over the whole course due to the different
starts and the choice of start time.

I wonder if my recumbent is up it. May well consider it.

I've taken the Trice around the island and will probably do so again
this year.
It is a hard grind in places, especially around Ventnor, but the
downhills make up for it :-)

There is a new mid-length route this year of 55km which looks
interesting as it uses the Sandow-Newport-Cowes railway. Nice and flat.

John B

isle of wight randonnee ok UK 10 February 1st 05 10:21 AM
Isle Of Wight... Tumbleweed UK 16 July 17th 04 08:29 AM
Isle Of WIght in Sept? Tumbleweed UK 2 July 16th 04 10:18 AM
Cycling Isle of Wight Jan UK 4 July 3rd 04 11:39 AM
Isle of Wight Railways and Bicycles Jack Taylor UK 13 July 23rd 03 08:22 PM