Isle of Wight this Sunday

Old May 2nd 05, 08:29 PM
DavidR

Andy Key wrote:
If any of you were delayed by a couple of ambulances parked on the
bridge at Yarbridge around lunchtime... that was because of us, I'm
afraid. My friend had an encounter with a traffic calming measure on the
bridge, flipped over the railing and ended up at the bottom of a 20-foot
embankment with a fractured femur.

It nearly got me so I went back and took some photos. I will put them on
a website later so watch this space.

It took six of us (the three
paramedics and three cyclists) to lift him up the bank. Apart from the
fracture he was remarkably unharmed -

Ouch

Did anyone else see the low-lying fog bank over the sea near Niton in
the morning? Fantastic - it was as if we were cycling above the clouds.

I went through it along the Military Road. Most odd not being able to
see the incline by sight when gravity started helping. Mind you, 35mph
was quite a contrast to a few years ago when I had to pedal down hill
against the headwind.

Old May 2nd 05, 08:53 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:11:18 +0100, Andy Key
. orthisco.orthisuk
wrote in message :

If any of you were delayed by a couple of ambulances parked on the
bridge at Yarbridge around lunchtime... that was because of us, I'm
afraid. My friend had an encounter with a traffic calming measure on the
bridge, flipped over the railing and ended up at the bottom of a 20-foot
embankment with a fractured femur.

Holy cow! Sue the abstrads.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old May 2nd 05, 09:04 PM
MartinM

garryb59 wrote:

Yes, I'm pretty commited to being there, on my very own
home/brazed/welded effort-of-modeof-transport at that too.

I think I went past you just before the Wight mouse of the home made
'bent is what you were on.

Did you all see the swarm of Honda 70cc monkey bikes went?, saw them on
the Miltary Rd and again at the finish.
I arrived back at Havenstreet (after wasting half an hour looking for a
disused and very secure railway tunnel near Whitwell and then finding a
cashpoint on Ryde) at 1430. After returning to Spinnaker City went on
the Hayling ferry which looks fairly moribund and came back up to
Havant on the old Hayling Billy railway line.
A great day, as good as cycling gets, riding along a two-way road
through woods carpeted with bluebells and not a car in sight, that's
the advantage of a nice bit of expensive water between Mondeoman and
the island. Shame about the fog on the South side but at least it
stopped me seeing the tops of the hills ;-)

Old May 2nd 05, 09:12 PM
MartinM

Mark Thompson wrote:
My friend had an encounter with a traffic calming measure on the
bridge, flipped over the railing and ended up at the bottom of a
20-foot embankment with a fractured femur.

What sort of traffic calming measure is this?
Sounds lethally dangerous to me!
I am apalled that you friend has suffered this fate, though I
appreciate his injuries might have been much worse.

Wonder how fast he was going? Not that I'm suggesting the guy might

have
been cycling 'furiously' or anything...

I saw the aftermath of that (ie a closed road sign and heard the mee
mar of the ambulance)

garryb59 wrote:
Yes, I'm pretty commited to being there, on my very own
home/brazed/welded effort-of-modeof-transport at that too.

I think I went past you just before the Wight Mouse if the home made
'bent is what you were on.

Did you all see the swarm of Honda 70cc monkey bikes?, saw them on
the Military Rd and again at the finish. I think they were playing an
elaborate game of 'catch' with the Goldwings. Lots of forklift trucks
with a sofa on the back and motorbike front forks as well (all ridden
by helmetless riders apart from one female passenger)

I arrived back at Havenstreet (after wasting an hour on railway tunnels
and cashpoints or lack thereof) at 1430.

Old May 2nd 05, 09:44 PM
wafflycat

"Andy Key"
. orthisco.orthisuk wrote
in message ...
If any of you were delayed by a couple of ambulances parked on the bridge
at Yarbridge around lunchtime... that was because of us, I'm afraid. My
friend had an encounter with a traffic calming measure on the bridge,
flipped over the railing and ended up at the bottom of a 20-foot
embankment with a fractured femur.

Oh dear. Please pass along my best wishes to your friend for a swift &
complications-free recovery.

Cheers, helen s

Old May 2nd 05, 10:10 PM
DavidR

DavidR wrote:
Andy Key wrote:

If any of you were delayed by a couple of ambulances parked on the
bridge at Yarbridge around lunchtime... that was because of us, I'm
afraid. My friend had an encounter with a traffic calming measure on
the bridge, flipped over the railing and ended up at the bottom of a
20-foot embankment with a fractured femur.

It nearly got me so I went back and took some photos. I will put them on
a website later so watch this space.

http://bikesite.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page2.html

Shows the side view. It looks fairly innocuous from this angle. But the
next one is shows what you see on approach.

http://bikesite.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page1.html

What happened was that I was behind another rider, trying to look beyond
the other rider for normal road hazards while gauging a reasonable
distance from the kerb. I nudged the first cat's eye, corrected left and
ended up running down the white line. From then it was a question of how
to get out without hitting a another cat's eye while tidily resuming a
parallel course.

When the ramp appeared for what it was, fortunately my trajectory and
pendulum swing were now ready. With a slightly hurried adjustment I got
out in the gap between the start of the ramp and the cat's eye.

Old May 2nd 05, 10:36 PM
Andy Key

In message , DavidR
writes
http://bikesite.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page2.html

Shows the side view. It looks fairly innocuous from this angle. But the
next one is shows what you see on approach.

http://bikesite.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page1.html

What happened was that I was behind another rider, trying to look beyond
the other rider for normal road hazards while gauging a reasonable
distance from the kerb. I nudged the first cat's eye, corrected left and
ended up running down the white line. From then it was a question of how
to get out without hitting a another cat's eye while tidily resuming a
parallel course.

When the ramp appeared for what it was, fortunately my trajectory and
pendulum swing were now ready. With a slightly hurried adjustment I got
out in the gap between the start of the ramp and the cat's eye.

David's pictures sum up the cause very well. I was a little way behind
my friend so I saw it all (in that curious kind of inevitable
slow-motion that seems to happen with accidents). He was to the left of
a couple of other cyclists coming into the bridge. I assume he failed to
notice until it was too late that the red-painted area on the left was
about to ramp up onto a narrow raised section. At the last minute he
realised and moved slightly right, bouncing off the kerb back onto the
roadway. If there had been nobody to the right of him he could have
veered across the road to recover, but with no space to manoeuvre he had
to try and keep the bike in a straight line to avoid knocking other
people over. At this point I guess he was doing 15-20mph. The front
wheel touched the kerb and from that point on there was no way he could
avoid a crash. I strongly suspect his femur broke on impact with the
"safety" rail (visible at the far right end of the bridge in David's
first "side" picture). His momentum carried him over it and through the
bushes, down the bank into the stream, adding a thorough coating of
nettle stings to his worries on the way.

Thanks to all who've wished him a speedy recovery.

Andy

Old May 2nd 05, 10:37 PM
Not Responding

DavidR wrote:
DavidR wrote:

It nearly got me so I went back and took some photos. I will put them
on a website later so watch this space.

Nearly got me as well. I was convinced it was a cycle track what with
the red paint and all - it was only my natural distrust of such
creatures that made me give it a wide berth.

Old May 2nd 05, 10:44 PM
MartinM

Not Responding wrote:
DavidR wrote:
DavidR wrote:

It nearly got me so I went back and took some photos. I will put

them
on a website later so watch this space.

Nearly got me as well. I was convinced it was a cycle track what with

the red paint and all - it was only my natural distrust of such
creatures that made me give it a wide berth.

http://bikesite.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page2.html

Shows the side view. It looks fairly innocuous from this angle. But

the
next one is shows what you see on approach.

http://bikesite.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page1.html

bloody hell! no wonder he came such a cropper, a stealth ramp. Give my
best wishes to him; just imagine if it had been the railway bridge ;-(

Old May 2nd 05, 10:52 PM
Jan

DavidR wrote:
DavidR wrote:
Andy Key wrote:

[...]

Thats odd, there used to be bollards there as well.

Jan

Isle of Wight - accomodation? John Hearns UK 13 February 25th 05 01:35 AM
Isle of Wight Randonnee 1st May Not Responding UK 11 February 16th 05 12:18 PM
isle of wight randonnee ok UK 10 February 1st 05 11:21 AM
Isle Of WIght in Sept? Tumbleweed UK 2 July 16th 04 10:18 AM
Isle of Wight Railways and Bicycles Jack Taylor UK 13 July 23rd 03 08:22 PM