Isle of Wight this Sunday

Old May 2nd 05, 11:05 PM
Andy Morris

DavidR wrote:

http://bikesite.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page2.html

Shows the side view. It looks fairly innocuous from this angle. But
the next one is shows what you see on approach.

http://bikesite.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page1.html

Thats bloody lethal, has the relevant authority been made aware of how
dangerous it is?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Old May 2nd 05, 11:53 PM
Sandy Morton

In article , Andy Morris
wrote:
Thats bloody lethal, has the relevant authority been made aware of
how dangerous it is?

You cannot complain on a Bank Holiday Monday!!

I do hope that the casulaty is OK and if he wishes to come to the
Bicycle Island for a rehab. run he will be most welcome.

We have no traffic lights, no pedestrian crossings, no cycle lanes,
one cross road and one bridge.

We are very cyclist friendly.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old May 3rd 05, 08:15 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , DavidR
') wrote:

DavidR wrote:
Andy Key wrote:

If any of you were delayed by a couple of ambulances parked on the
bridge at Yarbridge around lunchtime... that was because of us, I'm
afraid. My friend had an encounter with a traffic calming measure on
the bridge, flipped over the railing and ended up at the bottom of a
20-foot embankment with a fractured femur.

It nearly got me so I went back and took some photos. I will put them
on a website later so watch this space.

Wow! That is ****ing lethal!

' ' ------- this blank intentionally spaced left

Old May 3rd 05, 08:22 AM
John Hearns

On Mon, 02 May 2005 11:11:18 +0100, Andy Key wrote:

If any of you were delayed by a couple of ambulances parked on the
bridge at Yarbridge around lunchtime... that was because of us, I'm
afraid.

Ouch, ouch, ouch, ow.

Add my name to the list of u.r.c. wellwishers please.

What a stupid piece of 'engineering'.
Old May 3rd 05, 11:28 AM
Nick Kew

Sandy Morton wrote:

I do hope that the casulaty is OK and if he wishes to come to the
Bicycle Island for a rehab. run he will be most welcome.

We have no traffic lights, no pedestrian crossings, no cycle lanes,
one cross road and one bridge.

We are very cyclist friendly.

Very nice. But it begs the question: if you're big enough to merit
using a bike (as opposed to just walking), how on Earth do you get
away with it? Looking at the page in your .sig, I'd guess the only
journey that's a bit far to walk is round-the-coast, and that's a
case of make-travel, rather than getting from A to B.

--
Nick Kew
Old May 3rd 05, 11:39 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 02 May 2005 22:10:46 +0100, DavidR
wrote:

http://bikesite.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page1.html
http://bikesite.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page2.html

And with catseyes as well, just to make sure that no opportunity is
lost to kill someone.

Cut off their goolies!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
Old May 3rd 05, 11:56 AM
JohnB

Al C-F wrote:

Just got back. 3:30 from Cowes.

Bit misty on the south side, but an excellent ride.

Got back at tea time last night after a good ride home (exceptng a few
BH Monday nutter drivers)

Rode the event on the trice, along with my 13 yr son and 17 daughter and
a friend.
Unfortunately said silly daughter really suffered as she came a cropper
when riding down the day before.
She learned that sprinting with laden panniers is not sensible practice,
and a collision with a fence left her with broken glasses, near black
eye and bruised shoulder :-(
The climb over Blackgang Chine was difficult to say the least.

We started at Cowes and met Neil of ICE on, I think, a Monster, and also
a couple of urc with red ribbons - but am annoyed as I now can't
remember the names.

Highlights included hurtling back down into Cowes where some yoofs were
standing in the road trying to intimidate riders. Aimed the trice
straight at them on full power and they scattered ;-)

Another was waking up on Monday morning and looking out of the tent to
find a couple of Robins perched on the flagpole.

A brilliant day.

John B
Old May 3rd 05, 11:57 AM
JohnB

Andy Key wrote:

If any of you were delayed by a couple of ambulances parked on the
bridge at Yarbridge around lunchtime... that was because of us, I'm
afraid. My friend had an encounter with a traffic calming measure on the
bridge, flipped over the railing and ended up at the bottom of a 20-foot
embankment with a fractured femur.

Oh dear :-(
Sorry to hear that.
I hope his recovery is as quick as possible and without any problems.
I remember the stretch of road as we passed through later in the day.

John B
Old May 3rd 05, 12:15 PM
Tim Hall

On Tue, 03 May 2005 10:56:29 GMT, JohnB wrote:

Al C-F wrote:

Just got back. 3:30 from Cowes.

Bit misty on the south side, but an excellent ride.

Got back at tea time last night after a good ride home (exceptng a few
BH Monday nutter drivers)

snip

A brilliant day.

Sounds it.

I was worried that our combined unfitness and increase in weight would
mean we wouldn't manage it this year.

I kept the option of doing the midi randonee from Mrs Hall but she
found out about it on Saturday night in the pub. She fixed me with
That Look on Sunday morning as we gathered for the ride to Bembridge
and said she'd rather do the midi. I held out for the long ride, with
the option of pulling out at Yarmouth (keen students will notice that
Yarmouth is about as far from Bembridge as is possible).

Anyway, the morning went well,chatting to various people who passed
us, regrouping at the checkpoints, having a Tandem Club coffee stop
around Porchfield (TC Jersey in the front garden as a signpost) and
eventually to Yarmouth. Our timing was looking OK, and with a slight
tail wind I persuaded Anne we could do it.

The miles seemed to go past OK, although we did have to push uptowards
Blackgang - another tandem team asked if we were OK, so I told them
the engine was knackered. Ice cream at the car park then high speed
into Nitton. The distance was really coming down nicely when I
realised I hadn't recalibrated my computer since fitting a smaller
front tyre. This would account for getting to 100k with one checkpoint
left. Back to Bembridge by 16:45, 110km on the clock.

Stopped at the Pilot Boat for fluid repleinshment then back to Seaview
and our chalet.

The downside is that Anne will think she won't need to get any fitter
to do it again next year...

Tim
Old May 3rd 05, 12:17 PM
Dave Larrington

JohnB wrote:

Highlights included hurtling back down into Cowes where some yoofs
were standing in the road trying to intimidate riders. Aimed the trice
straight at them on full power and they scattered ;-)

I came close to reducing the chav population of Essex by about six in
Writtle yesterday...

A complimentary biro(tm) is /not/ to be sniffed at.

Isle of Wight - accomodation? John Hearns UK 13 February 25th 05 01:35 AM
Isle of Wight Randonnee 1st May Not Responding UK 11 February 16th 05 12:18 PM
isle of wight randonnee ok UK 10 February 1st 05 11:21 AM
Isle Of WIght in Sept? Tumbleweed UK 2 July 16th 04 10:18 AM
Isle of Wight Railways and Bicycles Jack Taylor UK 13 July 23rd 03 08:22 PM