Reverse BR - kind of

Old December 12th 04, 12:57 AM
DaveB

Default Reverse BR - kind of

Well it wasn't exactly the reverse rout of the BR, but this mornign I
headed out to Kangaroo Ground via Eltham and then down to Warrandyte.
This was because I was planning on doing a run straight after the ride
and wanted something without any long draining hills. Kangaroo Ground to
Warrandyte is a really nice ride seeing you hardly have to pedal.

My theory was to avoid the long hill that we normally come down by
following the Warrandyte Rd to Templestowe. I naively thought that
seeing it roughly follows the Yarra it wouldn't be too hilly. Can I now
state that there is no pleasant route out of Warrandyte. Those damned
hills had me cyclign blind because of all the sweat in my eyes. I think
I hate Warrandyte. Now I think it's time for a nap.

I must have just missed you BR riders (was anyone ou there). I hit the K
Ground roundabout around 8:30 just as the MDBC ride was goign through.

DaveB

Old December 12th 04, 10:52 AM
Blah

"DaveB" wrote in message
[...]

Well, then you missed me and Steve by about four or five minutes and and BT
probably came past you just after the last crest. Pretty close call. Only
three of us out today, and none of us had met before. Steve (who knew all
the MDBC guys and every other guy on the road today) was on his third and
had done alternate weeks to me over the last four and BT (Bret? I'm crap at
names; makes teaching a bitch for the first week or two of a term) was on
his first week of cycling after a four year lay-off... Good ride to start
out with on a humid, hot day...

I went out after a time on the long climb - did 14.10min ish from the W'dyte
bridge to the last crest before the roundabout at K.G. Was hooting along
then just plain hit the wall (not completely, but close to it) about half
way up. I blame the sun. And the humidity. And my fitness.

We kind of sauntered our way around after that, which was good, as I felt
kind of dizzy for awhile and was shaky for most of it. At Burgundy St., who
should be waiting but a certain Dutchman who was busting to be covered in
some glory from the St. Kilda crits (well done, dutch).

So where were the rest of you lazy so-and-sos?

Old December 12th 04, 12:01 PM
Geoff

"Blah" wrote in message

So where were the rest of you lazy so-and-sos?

I did think of you guys when I finally woke up this morning at about 8:30
and looked out the window to see a pretty perfect cloudless morning. I also
had visions of me getting sunburned at Brunswick Velodrome today at the
Metro Track Championships. You probably won't see me for BRs over the next
few months due to racing and training commitments. Hopefully the BR
continues on and can attract more riders over the coming months. For those,
in Melbourne or just visiting, who haven't done this ride yet DO give it a
go at least once. It's a whole lot less boring than a flat Beach Road Ride
from a riding perspertive, and there's much less to distract you from
looking where you are going. It's got a couple of challenging hills in it
that you can ride at your own pace due to the fact that the bunch will wait
for you to catch up. It's a good "no pressure to perform" type of ride with
a pretty good bunch of people.

Geoff

Old December 13th 04, 03:27 AM
hippy

"Blah" wrote in message
So where were the rest of you lazy so-and-sos?

Busy losing more races..
http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=169

hippy

Old December 13th 04, 04:10 AM
flyingdutch

hippy Wrote:

Busy losing more races..
http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=169

hippy

WOT'S with the parked car on the corner?!@?!?@???

i realise its not all that likely to get in the way in that spot, but
when things 'go wrong' i imagine you cant control where flesh/bikes
fly. why place a car in the mix?
Im betting Jazmo didnt park it there

--
flyingdutch

Old December 13th 04, 04:50 AM
hippy

"flyingdutch"
hippy Wrote:
Busy losing more races..
http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=169

WOT'S with the parked car on the corner?!@?!?@???

It's an open road.. I love that call of "CAR!!!!!" as you're
barrelling around the corner at 40kph+. One of the dicks
from the factories parked his ute on the exit of the fast, slight
downhill, Springvale Rd. corner and left his door open!!!
He tells riders to "get fscked" when they fly passed telling him
to close his door. He's lucky there wasn't an accident - I can
just imagine 50 adrenalin charged riders tearing him a new
'doorway'..

i realise its not all that likely to get in the way in that spot, but
when things 'go wrong' i imagine you cant control where flesh/bikes
fly. why place a car in the mix?

Cars on the course are ****. It's that simple. Worse is when they are
new arrivals. Imagine coming around the bunch a bit wide, riders
move left and there in front of you appears a parked car! Luckily
most riders know the danger and are quite good at signalling to
riders behind the presence of a car. Once you know it's there, it's
not such an issue..

This is where Sandown and METEC have an advantage I guess..

I didn't think the SKCC/Port Melb. course was closed to traffic?

hippy

what kind of unicycling do you do heavy metal unicycling Unicycling 9 May 8th 05 05:44 PM
This is the kind of stor we need to see mor of. Ken General 1 April 6th 05 02:43 PM
What kind of trousers? Succorso UK 35 November 19th 04 02:12 AM
WhAt kiNd TROLL rideS a BIKE BEHERE20MONTH Australia 0 September 13th 04 02:50 AM
Slicks OK on the touring bike - If so, what kind? bfd General 11 July 4th 04 01:18 AM