SPD pedal opinions - single or double sided ?

Old December 20th 03, 04:33 PM
Hywel & Ros

Default SPD pedal opinions - single or double sided ?

As a recent convert to SPD pedals (used to use toe-clips), I am thinking oof
buying a neater / better pair of pedals. Current pedals are Shimano combined
SPD / rat trap. As I'm unlikely to use them without the special shoes, I was
wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of the dedicated SPD
ones - single versus double sided - and any particular recommended models. I
don't want to spend daft money, but don't mind a step up from "entry-level"
at least if it's merited.
I don't want to buy new shoes as well so replacements would need to be SPD
(not SPD-R nor Look etc). I'd seen single and double sided ones in both
Shimano (A515 single or M515 double) and Time's ranges. eg Time Cycle
(single) or Alium (double), Are single sided more of a nuisance to get on
and off ? What about pedal reflectors - presumably these can't be fitted
unless you have a traditional pedal (or SPD / trad combined)

Intended purpose is for a hybrid-ish tourer; only occasionally used
off-road.

Whilst one generally gets what one pays for to a degree is a £50 pedal
better than a £25 pedal ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Hywel

Old December 20th 03, 05:21 PM
Richard Goodman

"Hywel & Ros" wrote in message
As a recent convert to SPD pedals (used to use toe-clips), I am thinking

oof
buying a neater / better pair of pedals. Current pedals are Shimano

combined
SPD / rat trap. As I'm unlikely to use them without the special shoes, I

was
wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of the dedicated

SPD
ones - single versus double sided

The main advantage of double-sided is in being able to clip in more quickly
& easily after unclipping - you don't have to turn the pedal over to the
right side. I think this is a significant advantage in commuting, but
obviously less so where you expect to stay clipped in for long periods as in
touring once you get out of town. For single-sided, you save a bit of
weight from not having two clip mechanisms instead of one on each pedal, or
if you have a cage then of course you can use the pedals with ordinary shoes
as well so there would be an advantage in that if you were going to do it,
but a cage also limits cornering clearance a bit.

As to cost - I've only ever used cheap ones. The first pair I brought are
still going strong after ~6k road miles but they're a bit messy cosmetically
and as they're single-sided and I'm fed up with having to spin the pedal
every time I want to clip in, I've got some new cheap double sided ones. I
suppose more expensive ones have better bearings and are a few grams
lighter, but personally for me an SPD pedal is an SPD pedal. The only thing
that has tempted me to consider paying more is for a different kind of cleat
mechanism entirely - eg Speedplay, Eggbeater or Time, for issues around
float or ease of engagement, size of cleat platform or just to be
'different' and I haven't found sufficient motivation in those issues to
spend the extra dosh.

Rich

Old December 20th 03, 05:24 PM
Call me Bob

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:33:51 -0000, "Hywel & Ros"
wrote:

wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of the dedicated SPD
ones - single versus double sided - and any particular recommended models.

In your position, I'd choose double sided every time. With single
sided you have to look down and flip the pedal and catch it right side
up in order to engage the cleat, a real faff about particularly when
riding in urban traffic and may have to stop/start quite often.

Using double sided you don't even need to glance down, just stomp your
foot on the pedal and you're in (and away).

What about pedal reflectors - presumably these can't be fitted
unless you have a traditional pedal (or SPD / trad combined)

You won't be able to fit pedal reflectors to double sided pedals. It's
very easy to compensate for this though if you wish to. Reflective
ankle bands are cheap and even more visible than the pedal attached
jobs (I think, anyway).

Whilst one generally gets what one pays for to a degree is a £50 pedal
better than a £25 pedal ?

Well, yes, generally it will be a better pedal, but, perhaps a better
question to ask would be will *you* benefit from a more expensive
pedal given the kind of usage you have in mind. My guess would be
probably not.

Budget Shimano spd's are pretty good pedals for the money and should
be perfectly happy on the kind of bike and terrain you mention. I have
a pair of double sided 515's and have been very happy with them.

It seems that they've just been superseded by a new model with a
slightly different design, £19.99 from CycleXpress with free delivery:

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/PDM_M520_169.asp

That'd be my recommendation.

--

"Bob"

Email address is spamtrapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.
Old December 20th 03, 05:28 PM
Simonb

Hywel & Ros wrote:

I don't want to buy new shoes as well so replacements would need to
be SPD (not SPD-R nor Look etc). I'd seen single and double sided
ones in both Shimano (A515 single or M515 double) and Time's ranges.
eg Time Cycle (single) or Alium (double), Are single sided more of a
nuisance to get on and off ? What about pedal reflectors - presumably
these can't be fitted unless you have a traditional pedal (or SPD /
trad combined)

I'm using Time Aliums and they seem very good compared to the Shimano
PD-M536's I was using (which were falling to pieces after less than a year).
The Times are a very simple design, very solidly built and have a large
platform which adds even more power to my pedalling!

Simonb

Old December 20th 03, 05:31 PM
Simonb

Hywel & Ros wrote:
What about pedal reflectors - presumably
these can't be fitted unless you have a traditional pedal (or SPD /
trad combined)

ps, The Aliums come with a pair of reflectors and a special adapter for
attaching them (in the UK only I think). They screw into the side of the
pedal and are suspended on an L-shaped bracket.

Simonb

Old December 20th 03, 05:47 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote:

I was
wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of the dedicated SPD
ones - single versus double sided

I only have one pair of the combined SPD / platform pedals, and they
are on my "shopping" bike, which I occasionally ride while wearing
trainers. SPD only is much simpler.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old December 20th 03, 05:53 PM
RG

"Hywel & Ros" wrote in message
[...]

Also a recent convert - now have the SPD M 515s fitted to 3 of my bikes -
double sided make it a whole load simpler. Cyclexpress were/are selling
them for £19.99 incl postage. I couldn't see any benefit in anything more
expensive for my cycling activity which seems similar to yours.

As for reflectors - there is reflective stuff on the back of the shows (M
037) - or get those reflective ankle bands - or Shimano have a plastic
platform with reflectors that clips to the 515s BUT that makes them only SPD
on one side. Be brave, go for the no-reflector look!

Rob

Old December 20th 03, 07:05 PM
Simon Brooke

"Hywel & Ros" writes:

As a recent convert to SPD pedals (used to use toe-clips), I am thinking oof
buying a neater / better pair of pedals. Current pedals are Shimano combined
SPD / rat trap. As I'm unlikely to use them without the special shoes, I was
wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of the dedicated SPD
ones - single versus double sided - and any particular recommended
models.

If you're riding on the road, single sided ones are fine and weigh
less. Thirty quid Shimanos are fine - there's no point spending more
unless you're a weight weenie. Off road double sided are better
because you can clip in easier - don't have to worry about which way
up the pedal is.

to err is human, to lisp divine
;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.
Old December 20th 03, 09:13 PM
Ems

" ones - single versus double sided - and any particular recommended
models. I

I agree with the eneral consensus that double sided is more convenient

Whilst one generally gets what one pays for to a degree is a £50 pedal
better than a £25 pedal ?

The Law of Diminishing Returns states that for a *lot* more dosh, you get a
*small* (but measurable) improvement in performance.
I'd go (and I do ) for the cheapos!!

Ems

Old December 20th 03, 09:21 PM
Peter B

"Hywel & Ros" wrote in message
As a recent convert to SPD pedals (used to use toe-clips), I am thinking

oof
buying a neater / better pair of pedals. Current pedals are Shimano

combined
SPD / rat trap. As I'm unlikely to use them without the special shoes, I

was
wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of the dedicated

SPD
ones - single versus double sided - and any particular recommended models.

don't want to spend daft money, but don't mind a step up from

"entry-level"
at least if it's merited.

I use double sided on my mtbs and did on my old road bike (after using Looks
on it for many years), however when I got a new road bike as a concession
to style I fitted single side A515s, bzzt, mistake!
Ok, I can live with them as the bike is used for long rides with little
unclipping but even so they are a pain when in suburbia and a clean getaway
is required, eg lights, junctions, etc.

In short get double sided, I will when replacement is due.

My 2 groats,
Pete