Double hit& run on a cyclist

Old March 2nd 04, 02:13 PM
McBain_v1

Default Double hit& run on a cyclist

Alan Braggins wrote:
Yes. For example, alt.hackers is a moderated group with no moderator,
posters being expected to set their posts as having been moderated
themselves.

I had no idea that my ignorance of forum moderating would trigger thi
much techno-babble :

-

Old March 2nd 04, 02:23 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default Update - Double hit& run on a cyclist

There's further information now in our local press.

See

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/news/...NLINE&Category
=NEWS&ItemId=NOED01+Mar+2004+17%3A29%3A39%3A920

or

http://tinyurl.com/22g2c

"Hit-and-run drivers leave man for dead

March 2, 2004 11:12

A cyclist was yesterday described as "lucky to be alive" after being hit by two
cars in a hit and run accident.

Kieran Procter, 20, suffered a broken ankle and badly crushed foot and remains
in hospital after being knocked off by one vehicle coming from behind and then
was run over by a second car.

As police yesterday appealed for witnesses to the accident on Saturday evening
on the A1075 Watton-Shipdham, his family said he could have been killed and
were angry that neither driver had stopped.

Keiran, a technician for a pharmaceutical company in Watton, was on his
mountain bike heading to his friend's house when it appears a car clipped his
handlebars and knocked him off.

Fortunately Keiran, of Ovington, fell on to the nearside of the road towards
the verge and managed to crawl further into the side.

Police said as he lay in the road and looked back, a second vehicle - thought
to be a hatchback - ran over his leg.

Neither vehicle stopped and both carried on towards Dereham.

His mother Maureen said: "It could have been a lot worse. When I first got the
call that it had happened I feared what I would find. He was very lucky.

"I think they must have realised they had hit someone. It is unbelievable that
you can do that and carry on driving."

Keiran's father David said: "It is perhaps not difficult to see how on a dark
winter night a motorist may not see a cyclist. But to drive off and leave him
is beyond the pale. I hope someone will have enough conscience to come
forward."

The accident happened at about 6.15pm on Saturday on the straight section of
road about 150 yards the Watton side of the King Row/Long Road crossroads.

Keiran regularly uses the road and his cycle was well lit with brand new
batteries in the front and back lamps.

A car which was following behind saw Keiran and stopped to help him and called
999 and contacted his family.

The driver told police the two vehicles in the accident "braked and swerved and
then drove off at speed".

Kieran is being treated at the Norfolk and Norfolk University Hospital.

PC Dave Thomas said: "He was very lucky. The cyclist should have been seen."

He urged the drivers to come forward and anyone else who saw the accident or
witnessed Keiran cycling earlier in his journey.

Anyone with information should contact PC Thomas at Attleborough Road Policing
via 01953 424242 or anonymously on Crimestoppers on 0800 555111."

helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old March 2nd 04, 02:51 PM
JohnB

McBain_v1 wrote:

Alan Braggins wrote:
Yes. For example, alt.hackers is a moderated group with no moderator,
posters being expected to set their posts as having been moderated
themselves.

I had no idea that my ignorance of forum moderating would trigger this
much techno-babble

You are lucky you weren't wearing a h*lm*t or riding an ali bike at the
time ;-)

John B
Old March 2nd 04, 03:53 PM
Doki

Simon Brooke wrote:

Uhhhhmmmm.... No. If you're going to fast to stop in time somewhere
where there are people about who might walk into the road, then you
have at least a share of the responsibility. The world contains blind
people, small children, and others who may suddenly step into the
road. If you can't stop, if you hit them and kill them, you're
culpable.

Don't be so daft. If someone walks, drives or cycles out of a driveway
without looking as a car's driving past and they get hit, it's their fault.
Obviously when you're driving it's a good idea to look for side roads /
driveways / people who might wander into the street etc. and to give
yourself some margin of safety by moving further towards the centre of the
road and slowing down. The other option is to have everyone slow down to a
crawl in built up areas just in case some idiot or drunk decides to wander
in front of the car.

Old March 2nd 04, 03:59 PM
Doki

AndyMorris wrote:
PK wrote:
I've known two people killed as pedeisrtians.

One elderly gent, was almost functionall blind with bottle bottoms
for glasses who used to do his best to see if anything was coming
then make a dash for it across a 60 mph trunk road to get to a
friends house. Eventually his luck ran out.

The other elderly gent, used to stick his walking stik out infront
and walk boldly across a couple of miles down the same road and
expect drivers to see him and stop. Eventually one didn't.

Nice gents both of them. But it was the drivers i felt sorry for.

********

Its two old blokes who have to chose between safety and the freedom
to visit friends I feel sorry for.

What sort a **** witted system is it that lets people operate
dangerous machinery in a public place that depends on everyone else
keeping out of its way.

Shall I practice my chainsaw juggling in tesco's, after all they make
a racket so everyone will know to keep a safe distance?

I'm not sure how that would help the economy, whereas motor vehicles quite
clearly do.

Old March 2nd 04, 04:04 PM
Doki

David Hansen wrote:
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:38:01 -0000 someone who may be "Doki"
wrote this:-

Highway Code, Rules 180-185.

That's irrelevant.

Really.

When you're talking about pedestrians being AT FAULT in the accident, yes it
is. If they weren't at fault, those rules would be relevant.

The figures I saw were Govt stats on who was at fault in
for pedestrian VS car fatalities.

Where were the figures, who produced them [1] and when?

[1] "The Government2 is not an answer to the question.

The stats I was originally thinking of seem to have been moved as the URL no
longer works. They came from the DFT IIRC.

Old March 2nd 04, 08:52 PM
David Hansen

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:04:31 -0000 someone who may be "Doki"
wrote this:-

Highway Code, Rules 180-185.

When you're talking about pedestrians being AT FAULT in the accident, yes it
is. If they weren't at fault, those rules would be relevant.

The rules I mentioned make no mention of fault.

The stats I was originally thinking of seem to have been moved as the URL no
longer works. They came from the DFT IIRC.

Who did you get the URL from?

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old March 2nd 04, 09:01 PM
James Hodson

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:35:03 GMT, Simon Brooke
wrote:

Thought this forum might have a word filter, hence the insertion of the
solalr symbol... you arsehole ;-)

God, some people really don't understand the technolgy they're using, do
they? How could a Usenet group possibly have a word filter? Where would it
be installed and how would it be enforced?

Hi Simon

NTL has a few of its own NGs which do not propagate throughout the
rest of the NG community. These are "regular" NGs and the contents of
their messages are filtered.

In effect, they are moderated by a word filter.

James
Old March 2nd 04, 09:11 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 00:14:27 -0000, "AndyMorris"
wrote in message
:

What sort a **** witted system is it that lets people operate dangerous
machinery in a public place that depends on everyone else keeping out of its
way.

A ****witted system which was set up from the very beginning by those
able to afford the dangerous machinery. The first pshychlepaths were
built in the 1930s, and cyclists were required to give way to motor
traffic at every side turning. At the time cycles were the majority
mode on the roads in London both by mileage and numerically.

The man responsible, who was commissioner of the Met, also had rather
unreformed views on women police officers.

--
Guy
===

Old March 2nd 04, 09:15 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 03:04:31 -0000, "Mark Thompson"
(change warm for hot) wrote in
message :

So you can get moderated newsgroups, it's just that it is possible to sneak
stuff through?

One of the mountain bike groups is moderated, as a result of
persistent trolling by Mike Vandemann. Posts to this group do not
appear until the moderators have either approved them or whitelisted
you.

It is very dull, because few bother to take the time. I did once but
can't even remember which one it was any more.

--
Guy
===