Flagstaff and chainrings

Old September 12th 04, 08:20 PM
remark

Default Flagstaff and chainrings

First question: I am going out to Flagstaff this weekend to ride with my
brother. Any recommended trails that arent too crowded?
Second question: Any tips on air travel with a bike?
Final question: I thought I had chain suck the other day. I was wrong. It
turns out the 4 hex-bolts that hold in the granny ring were backing out. My
LBS put them on for me when I got new cranks/BB etc. Should they get
lock-tite or something?

Thanks

Old September 13th 04, 01:15 AM
arlo

"remark" wrote in news:qtqdnX3bQ7XAPNncRVn-
:

Second question: Any tips on air travel with a bike?

Get appropriate packaging. Consider shipping it via some other method...
Old September 13th 04, 02:05 AM
GeeDubb

remark wrote:
First question: I am going out to Flagstaff this weekend to ride
with my brother. Any recommended trails that arent too crowded?
Second question: Any tips on air travel with a bike?
Final question: I thought I had chain suck the other day. I was
wrong. It turns out the 4 hex-bolts that hold in the granny ring
were backing out. My LBS put them on for me when I got new cranks/BB
etc. Should they get lock-tite or something?

Thanks

Assuming you're talking this coming weekend and not today.....
The only trail that is somewhat crowded is Shultz Creek Trail. All the
trails veering off this trail are lightly travelled.

Find a lbs where you're flying to and rent a bike.

Yes, loctite.

Gary

Old September 13th 04, 05:52 PM
Reco Diver

"remark" wrote in message ...
First question: I am going out to Flagstaff this weekend to ride with my
brother. Any recommended trails that arent too crowded?

snip

Little Bear.

Rocky Ridge to Lower Brookbank to Upper Brookbank to Sunset to Schultz
creek.

Rocky Ridge to Lower Brookbank to Upper brookbank to Sunset to Catwalk
to upper Oldham to Lower Oldham.

Arizona trail from NAU to Marshal lake.

Old September 13th 04, 06:43 PM
MattB

remark wrote:
First question: I am going out to Flagstaff this weekend to ride
with my brother. Any recommended trails that arent too crowded?
Second question: Any tips on air travel with a bike?
Final question: I thought I had chain suck the other day. I was
wrong. It turns out the 4 hex-bolts that hold in the granny ring
were backing out. My LBS put them on for me when I got new cranks/BB
etc. Should they get lock-tite or something?

Thanks

I've had good results flying with my bike in an IronCase. If you join USA
Cycling, you get some vouchers to fly your bike free on United. Otherwise
it's $75 each way, so even if you never race, the membership can be worth it
if you fly with your bike much.
If you just put your bike in a cardboard box, you're asking for trouble IMO.

Matt

Old September 14th 04, 01:32 AM
William Pughe

Mail the bike if you have time. It's about the same amount of money, and
it makes traveling way easier.

Ride up Rocky Ridge, then either take the road up to the top or head up
Upper Oldham. Then take Catwalk to Sunset, down Little Bear, and finish
up on Schultz Creek Trail. One of the funner loops around.