Looking For My First Recumbent

Old March 7th 06, 11:01 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Looking For My First Recumbent

Boy, do I have a lot to learn about recumbents. I have been riding a
standard road bike now for a couple years and participated in a couple
of MS 150's. I like to put the miles on with good weather. I average
between 2 to 3 thousand miles each year. My price range stops at $1500
for a bike that will get me there with some speed and the capability of
climbing the hills we have here in SW Missouri. Believe me we have the
hills. Flat areas are a premium at times. One thing I have noted in
the discussion is the weight of the recumbent. So, far from what I
have concluded is the E Z Sport and the Rans Stratus are some of the
more popular picks. I am open to suggestions. The nearest qualified
dealer are 87 miles away. I also know in standard road bikes you do
get what you pay for.

Thanks,
bill - peddleman

Old March 7th 06, 12:40 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

peddleman wrote:
Boy, do I have a lot to learn about recumbents. I have been riding a
standard road bike now for a couple years and participated in a couple
of MS 150's. I like to put the miles on with good weather. I average
between 2 to 3 thousand miles each year. My price range stops at $1500
for a bike that will get me there with some speed and the capability of
climbing the hills we have here in SW Missouri. Believe me we have the
hills. Flat areas are a premium at times. One thing I have noted in
the discussion is the weight of the recumbent. So, far from what I
have concluded is the E Z Sport and the Rans Stratus are some of the
more popular picks. I am open to suggestions. The nearest qualified
dealer are 87 miles away. I also know in standard road bikes you do
get what you pay for.

Thanks,
bill - peddleman

Well Bill, I just bought my first recumbent about a month ago. I bought
a Sun EZ-1. It's an entry level bike. I also test rode the Sport and the
Stratus. Both are good bikes. The Stratus, in my opinion, is probably
the best of the bikes you mentioned. About hills, all bents are slower
on hills than diamond frames. But what you lose going up hill you gain
in the decents and in the flats. The biggest thing I have noticed is
riding in the wind. On my df, I was often slowed down by wind gusts to
under 10 mph, but rarely drop below 13 on the recumbent.

Ken
--
You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

Homepage: now with it's very own domain name
http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/
Old March 7th 06, 01:04 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Ken C. M. wrote:

About hills, all bents are slower
on hills than diamond frames.

That depends on the 'bent and it depends on the DF. "All else being
equal" they will usually be slower as the requirements of a large seat
mean more weight than an "otherwise equal" DF. But the important thing
is make sure you have an appropriate gear range for what you have in
mind and get used to spinning up.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 7th 06, 01:53 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

In article , Ken C. M.
) wrote:

About hills, all bents are slower on hills than diamond frames.

I wonder how I managed to overtake those two lads on the way out of
Compton Abdale URL:http://tinyurl.com/lt5b6 back in January. Must
have been a trick of the light :-)

Help me, Mrs. Medleycott, I don't know what to do. I've only got three
bullets and there's four of Mötley Crüe.
Old March 7th 06, 02:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Dave Larrington wrote:
In article , Ken C. M.
) wrote:

About hills, all bents are slower on hills than diamond frames.

I wonder how I managed to overtake those two lads on the way out of
Compton Abdale URL:http://tinyurl.com/lt5b6 back in January. Must
have been a trick of the light :-)

Perhaps I should have said "all things being equal a diamond frame will
be faster than a recumbent. The same rider on the same course under the
same conditions etc,etc,etc the df will be faster." I too have beat
riders on diamond frames, but was it the bike or the rider? I would have
to say it was the rider. The other rider probably don't ride as much as
I do. Or perhaps they just were not trying as hard. Who cares, just ride.

Ken

Old March 7th 06, 02:58 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Ken C. M." wrote
About hills, all bents are slower on hills than diamond frames.

Probably true as a general rule. I'm faster up hills on my
recumbent than I was on my upright. That says more about
me riding more than about any inherent climbing potential
of a bike design, though.

But what you lose going up hill you gain in the decents and in the flats.

Well, sort of... Hill climbing is "sunk" time,-- you spend a
lot more time climbing than decending. Consider a route where
half the distance is acsending. You can be no faster than twice
the average climbing speed (and that presumes the remaining
distance flat or downhill takes *no* time).

I find my downhill speeds are more often limited by road conditions
and risk management than the potential maxium of the bike and me.

The biggest thing I have noticed is riding in the wind. On my df,
I was often slowed down by wind gusts to under 10 mph, but
rarely drop below 13 on the recumbent.

That's my experience, too. Though it varies from recumbent to
recumbent based on frontal area and streamlining...

The original poster mentioned a budget of $1500 and two models,
E Z Sport and the RANS Stratus. Near that price range and for at
least moderately smooth roads, he might also consider a lighter
weight SWB. A Volae or Bacchetta "high racer" might get there
with "some speed" better than the E Z or Stratus on rolling hills...
Lighter weight low racers, also, but likely not in the $1500 price
range.

Jon Meinecke

Old March 7th 06, 07:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

peddleman wrote:

SNIP

I am open to suggestions. The nearest qualified
dealer are 87 miles away.

Boy, I made a real mistake in choosing a dealer simply 'cause he's the
closest one...and if you're doing long-distance, it might as well be
mail-order, since that way you save on State sales tax. If I can do it
all over again, I'd go with an established business like Hostel Shoppe.
In the free market, folks don't get big for no reason, especially in a
community as small as this.

I also know in standard road bikes you do
get what you pay for.

Absolutely NOT true. The ActionBent yahoo! users' group is full of
satisfied customers! But okay, who knows what's that's about --
obviously there's a moderator there -- but I have heard from two
ActionBent owners in a local cycling club who have only good things to
say about their rides (and they're experienced 'bent-heads with other
'bents in their stables) and customer service from Randy Shulman, the
sole distributor for these China/Taiwan-made bikes. Only problem is
you can't do a test-ride, but once you're an experienced 'benter,
you'll want to keep this brand in mind for any future bikes, as all
you'll really need is x-seam measurements and such. If you're a DIYer,
which many 'benters are, this appears to be the best bang for the buck
out there.

Thanks,
bill - peddleman

Good luck. Welcome to the dork side! Wish I'd known about 'bents
years ago...wait, actually, no I don't -- you and I seem to have come
at just the right time, with all kinds of advances in the industry....

Old March 8th 06, 02:02 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

peddleman wrote:
Boy, do I have a lot to learn about recumbents. I have been riding a
standard road bike now for a couple years and participated in a couple
of MS 150's. I like to put the miles on with good weather. I average
between 2 to 3 thousand miles each year. My price range stops at $1500
for a bike that will get me there with some speed and the capability of
climbing the hills we have here in SW Missouri. Believe me we have the
hills. Flat areas are a premium at times. One thing I have noted in
the discussion is the weight of the recumbent. So, far from what I
have concluded is the E Z Sport and the Rans Stratus are some of the
more popular picks. I am open to suggestions. The nearest qualified
dealer are 87 miles away. I also know in standard road bikes you do
get what you pay for.

Does the 'nearest' dealer sell Optima bikes? It's funny to see such an
enormous difference between most European and American bikes. In the
Netherlands most of the development is dedicated towards SWB 'low
racers' like the Optima Baron. I drive one for touring and my daily
commute and it's a very nice bike.

If you have the chance try to put in a lap on a low racer model bike. I
assure you that once you have tried this you won't want any different.

Regards,
Arnold
Old March 8th 06, 04:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

I agree with Jon. I own a Stratus and a Rocket, and the Rocket climbs better
than the Stratus. My recollection of high school geometry tells me that
having almost all of your power stroke in the direction of travel (Rocket)
rather than split into two components - forward and down (Stratus) gives
more positive results.

For the money you're looking to spend I'd suggest a V-Rex, a Force 5 LE, or
a Bacchetta Giro 26.

"Jon Meinecke" wrote in message
.. .
"Ken C. M." wrote

Old March 8th 06, 09:55 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Arnold Ligtvoet wrote:

Does the 'nearest' dealer sell Optima bikes? It's funny to see such an
enormous difference between most European and American bikes. In the
Netherlands most of the development is dedicated towards SWB 'low
racers' like the Optima Baron.

While they're certainly a common agenda point for several manufacturers,
I'd say that "most of the development" is a gross overstatement. That
most development is SWB I'd agree, but lowracers are a minority item in
typical product lines and absent from many altogether (Sinner, Rainbow,
Flevo don't have one AFAICT).

If you have the chance try to put in a lap on a low racer model bike. I
assure you that once you have tried this you won't want any different.

Horses for courses, I liked the Baron I tried but I wouldn't want one
instead of my Streetmachine, or a semi-low like the Speedmachine or my
gf's Nazca Fiero. In many circumstances lowracers are not terribly
practical machines, though if you want to go fast as a priority they're
certainly worth a look.

Pete.