Disk brakes might be useful

Old February 5th 19, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Disk brakes might be useful

On 2019-02-05 11:27, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 11:09:28 AM UTC-8, Radey Shouman
wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

I just don't get how some people have such drastic problems with
rims wearing out.

Not sure what you mean by "drastic". Rims are a wear item.

--

This morning the normal Tuesday ride was scheduled until I emailed
them that the temperature was 2 degrees above freezing in the end

Wusses and wimps :-)

I did a long walk with our Labradors this morning in T-shirt and shorts.
It was a balmy 35F. And no, the dogs did not have pamper-jackets on.
Later this week we are going to ride, to heck with the weather.

... Didn't matter to me
since I had to go to the Dentist and I'm still too numb to drink a
cup of coffee.

Happened to me last Wednesday. We had a ride planned and Tuesday night
some serious throbbing started in the upper left. A molar wanted to be
yanked, badly.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 5th 19, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 1:06:39 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
Well, the rims on my 1st MTB were nearly shot after the first 1000mi of
foul weather riding. Most of the time I reached on on soggy winter trail
rides there was this goose bump eliciting sandpaper noise.

Needless to say, the next MTB had disc brakes and none of this is
happening now. Why should people put up with inferior components if
there are better ones that even reduce cost per mile over the years?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Indeed! Why should I put up with the cost and hassle of replacing discs (and my bicycles)when all my bicycles braking systems are perfectly fine for MY needs? Most of my bicycles are of circa mid-1980s vintage and as I said before I have yet to wear out a rim because of braking. Even my MTB that I use for 2 weeks long remote mining/logging roads touring has never needed a rim replaced. YMMV and usually does.

Cheers
Old February 5th 19, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 2:09:28 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

Snipped
What causes you to eventually discard rims? Do they just last forever?
Truly we must live in different worlds.

I just don't get how some people have such drastic problems with rims
wearing out.

Not sure what you mean by "drastic". Rims are a wear item.

--

If I get rid of a rim it's usually because it's been bent.

What I mean by "drastic" is people like Joerg who have to replace a rim because it was worn through by rim brakes withing 1000 miles. Based on MY experience riding on dirt roads, touring with 40 pounds of gear on logging roads for 2 weeks at a time, and riding in the rain and riding through the winter 1000 miles seems quite a low number of miles for a pair of rims. I wonder if Joerg rides the brakes?

Cheers
Old February 5th 19, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

Snipped
What causes you to eventually discard rims? Do they just last
forever? Truly we must live in different worlds.

I just don't get how some people have such drastic problems with
rims wearing out.

Not sure what you mean by "drastic". Rims are a wear item.

--

If I get rid of a rim it's usually because it's been bent.

What I mean by "drastic" is people like Joerg who have to replace a
rim because it was worn through by rim brakes withing 1000 miles.
Based on MY experience riding on dirt roads, touring with 40 pounds
of gear on logging roads for 2 weeks at a time, and riding in the
rain and riding through the winter 1000 miles seems quite a low
number of miles for a pair of rims. I wonder if Joerg rides the
brakes?

I don't but a cycling friend does and it's weird. He rode a very
powerful Honda motorcycle when younger but is afraid to get above 10mph
downhill on singletrack or 15mph on roads while on a bicycle. Luckily he
has disc brakes on all his bikes so it isn't a big issue.

We have lots of decomposed granite, some of it in the shape of almost a
powder. The heavier a trail is traveled the more powder there is. The
last remaining bits are crushed by horses. Decomposed granite mixed with
mud is an almost ideal abrasive paste. It is a horrible sound similar to
holding a piece of aluminum onto a belt sander.

Old February 6th 19, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 4:43:08 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
We have lots of decomposed granite, some of it in the shape of almost a
powder. The heavier a trail is traveled the more powder there is. The
last remaining bits are crushed by horses. Decomposed granite mixed with
mud is an almost ideal abrasive paste. It is a horrible sound similar to
holding a piece of aluminum onto a belt sander.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Where I tour on dirt roads in Northern Ontario Canada there's a real mix of surface conditions from small gravel to gravel, sand and rocks to deep loose sand. Here's an image of a fairly smooth road I toured on. Still haven't worn out a rim by using rim brakes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...n/photostream/

Cheers
Old February 6th 19, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 10:06:40 -0800, Joerg

On 2019-02-05 07:21, Radey Shouman wrote:

[...]

When I got home I looked at the rims. They were coated in white
frosty stuff that looked a lot like snow, but stuck much more
resolutely. Not normally much for washing bicycles, I spent a
few minutes cleaning off the frost and salt.

To be clear, the brakes are not modern equipment, but Weinmann
Vainqueur centerpulls, albeit with Kool Stop cartridge pads. I
do find them more than adequate ordinarily.

If I ever buy a new bicycle, I believe I'll favor those
fashionable disk brakes.

Try them out on a friend bike or a rental. You'll never look back.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

CRIKEY! What am I doing WRONG? I ride all year round and I don't have
problems with my rim brakes stopping any of my bicycles. That is even
true for my ancient long out of production Shimano Adamas AX brakes
and my Shimano Dura Ace AX brakes. Grant the Dura Ace AX bicycle is
kept for nicer weather but I have got caught out in the rain with it
and never had a problem. Not have i ever worn out a rim because of
brake wear. I ride thousands of miles every year too.

I just don't get how some people have such drastic problems with rims
wearing out.

Well, the rims on my 1st MTB were nearly shot after the first 1000mi of
foul weather riding. Most of the time I reached on on soggy winter trail
rides there was this goose bump eliciting sandpaper noise.

Needless to say, the next MTB had disc brakes and none of this is
happening now. Why should people put up with inferior components if
there are better ones that even reduce cost per mile over the years?

That is because you use those cheap and dirty aluminum rims. Switch to
proper chrome plated steel rims and they will last practically for
ever :-)

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old February 6th 19, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Sir Ridesalot writes:

Snipped
What causes you to eventually discard rims? Do they just last forever?
Truly we must live in different worlds.

I just don't get how some people have such drastic problems with rims
wearing out.

Not sure what you mean by "drastic". Rims are a wear item.

--

If I get rid of a rim it's usually because it's been bent.

What I mean by "drastic" is people like Joerg who have to replace a
rim because it was worn through by rim brakes withing 1000
miles. Based on MY experience riding on dirt roads, touring with 40
pounds of gear on logging roads for 2 weeks at a time, and riding in
the rain and riding through the winter 1000 miles seems quite a low
number of miles for a pair of rims. I wonder if Joerg rides the
brakes?

I agree that 1000 miles seems a very short life for a rim. But I didn't
say that, and Joerg didn't bring it up, why did you?

Old February 6th 19, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-02-05 15:09, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 4:43:08 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
We have lots of decomposed granite, some of it in the shape of
almost a powder. The heavier a trail is traveled the more powder
there is. The last remaining bits are crushed by horses. Decomposed
granite mixed with mud is an almost ideal abrasive paste. It is a
horrible sound similar to holding a piece of aluminum onto a belt
sander.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Where I tour on dirt roads in Northern Ontario Canada there's a real
mix of surface conditions from small gravel to gravel, sand and rocks
to deep loose sand. Here's an image of a fairly smooth road I toured
on. Still haven't worn out a rim by using rim brakes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...n/photostream/

That's what they call "forest autobahn" in Germany. That won't wear out
a rim.

Old February 6th 19, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 2019-02-05 07:21, Radey Shouman wrote:

[...]

[...]

That's 'cause after a short while, the rider gives up entirely on
braking in the wet.

Mark J.

Old February 6th 19, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

On 2019-02-05 07:21, Radey Shouman wrote:
I went for a ride last Saturday -- it was neither long, nor fast, nor
scenic, a little trip to a neighboring town. On the way back it was
about 25F (-4C), below freezing, but hardly frostbite weather.

The sun was shining, the wind was blowing, the crows were singing
merrily to keep the seagulls in their place. The streets were mostly
clear, at least in the travel lanes, but were damp with melted brine.
We haven't had much snow this year, and local governments are dealing as
best they can with the dire prospect of a road salt budget surplus.

The brine tends to get tracked into the mean right tire track, forming a
dark stripe, which is where I rode a great deal of the time. To the
right were piles of ice and snow, patches of crusty salt, dog**** popsicles
and cigarette butts. To the left it was already a bit hard for drivers
to pass.

Two blocks from home, having not touched the brakes in quite a while, I
meant to slow for a left turn, and applied the brakes. Just perceptible
slowing obtained, even when squeezing hard. This was a little
disappointing, not what most would expect from brakes at all. Unlike
rain, the problem didn't go away as water was wiped from the rims -- it
stayed crappy until I almost missed my turn in the neighbor's front
yard.

I remember many snow rides from Europe. Sometimes I had to let the pads
gently rub on the rims well before an intersection to make sure there'd
be some stopping power. Rim brakes are about as "modern" as those wood
blocks against the wheels of a chuckwagon.

Also, winter rides tend to eat rims. So do rain rides. Replacing a brake
rotor takes five minutes (with coffee) and about $20-$25, changing out a
rim is a different story.

[...]

downhills. Suddenly they changed their minds. Didn't matter to me
since I had to go to the Dentist and I'm still too numb to drink a cup
of coffee.

If your buddies knew how they were embarrassing California on an
international forum they might butch up a little.

Disk vs. V-Brakes mike[_3_] Mountain Biking 5 May 11th 07 12:49 PM
Disk vs. V-Brakes mike[_3_] Techniques 19 May 9th 07 03:46 AM
Disk brakes? Sticky Wicket Techniques 112 February 8th 07 05:27 PM
Disk brakes? Hot! ain Mountain Biking 20 May 5th 04 12:57 PM
Disk Brakes john Mountain Biking 4 January 22nd 04 02:44 AM