A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Lucky to walk away alive – cyclist hit by driver who fell asleep

Old January 20th 20, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default Lucky to walk away alive – cyclist hit by driver who fell asleep

QUOTE:
A London cyclist says he was “lucky to walk away alive” after he was hit by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel following a night shift – but believes the motorist “got off rather lightly” since he was charged with careless rather than dangerous driving.

On a day when we reported on another attempt by a parliamentarian to introduce a new dangerous cycling law, this incident not only highlights where the chief source of danger on the roads comes from – motorists – but also how all too often vulnerable road users can feel let down by how such cases are dealt with through the legal system.

Indeed, it is now six years since the former coalition government under David Cameron promised a review into road traffic law, including how cases in which the victim is a cyclist or pedestrian are investigated, prosecuted and sentenced, but it was never concluded.

Footage of the incident, filmed on London’s Old Kent Road last March, has been posted to YouTube by a road.cc reader who gave us further details of what happened and how the case proceeded, but has asked to remain anonymous.

He said: “On March 19 last year a driver coming off a night shift fell asleep and crashed into me. It was captured by my Cycliq Fly 6 and 12, and by the rider behind me too, although his was obscured a bit by the rain..

CONTINUES HERE

https://road.cc/content/news/270451-...-graphic-video
Ads