Dorset Coast Report

Old April 19th 04, 09:34 AM
Simonb

Default Dorset Coast Report

Completed the Dorset Coast Audax yesterday.

Hills, hills and more hills! Lots of rain, but no wind. Fun all the same.
Finished by 6pm.

I don't want to try Abbotsbury Hill again for a while. Lots of nasty, steep
hills between Bridport and Axminster. Eggardon Hill wasn't too bad; lots of
false summits though, and very long. The run into Dorchester was lovely --
some of the best cycling roads I've used. Dorch to the finish was very flat,
averaged about 32 kph for that one.

Beautiful countryside from start to finish (not that I could see much of
it).

I now have 1 AAA point (I cannot even conceive what 4 points must involve).
Next hilly one I do, I'm fitting a triple.

MartinM -- I think I saw you at the start? Can't have been much fun camping
overnight -- I did think of you when I woke up at 5am and it was still
pouring with rain.

Old April 19th 04, 12:12 PM
JBB

"Simonb" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Well done, the Coastlet was enough for me and one day I will get up the hill
out of Abbottsbury! I think the wind was behind on the section from
Dorchester - hence the flat feeling. There is another 200k in September -
Dorset Delight which is much more civilised with regard to hills - nothing I
can't manage!

Julia

Old April 19th 04, 12:23 PM
Simonb

Well done, the Coastlet was enough for me and one day I will get up the
hill
out of Abbottsbury!

Well done to you as well. Anyone keen enough to go out in that rain gets my
respect. Which way did the 100 get out of abbotsbury? Did it go up past
Hardy's Monument? Nasty.

Old April 19th 04, 12:44 PM
davek

Completed the Dorset Coast Audax yesterday

Hurrah

Hills, hills and more hills

I found a discussion on the CyclingPlus forum about the Invicta Grimpeu
that I've entered for my Audax debut and I'm starting to get ver
worried - it sounds like rather more hills (and rather nastier ones a
that) than I had banked on. I've looked them up on an OS map and none o
them individually look any worse than Charing Hill (just south o
Ashford) which I've done a few times - but I don't much fancy doin
several Charing Hills on one route, one is plenty..

I now have 1 AAA point (I cannot even conceive what 4 points mus
involve). Next hilly one I do, I'm fitting a triple

The Invicta is 0.75 points - three quarters the climbing over half th
distance. Fancy it

-

Old April 19th 04, 12:56 PM
JBB

"Simonb" wrote in message
.. .
Well done, the Coastlet was enough for me and one day I will get up the

hill
out of Abbottsbury!

Well done to you as well. Anyone keen enough to go out in that rain gets

my
respect. Which way did the 100 get out of abbotsbury? Did it go up past
Hardy's Monument? Nasty.

Yes! All the way. Only walked the really steep section - did get a bit
further than last year but the downhill to Martinstown is great although the
rain does make it a bit more tricky; puddles hiding who knows what, spray
and glasses steaming up mean that I was fairly cautious.

Julia

Old April 19th 04, 01:01 PM
Simonb

The Invicta is 0.75 points - three quarters the climbing over half the
distance. Fancy it?

I'd like to, I'm doing one from Denmead (flat-ish) on Saturday. After that
I'm not doing much as my wife's working abroad for 3 weeks so I'm on
full-time kid duty.

Which one is it on the calendar?