Good news/bad news from Chicago

Old November 19th 04, 09:55 PM
mark

"Scott" wrote ...
The obvious question: Who buys stolen manhole covers,
and how much do they go for?

scott

Vail, Colorado used to have a problem with stolen manhole covers. It seems
that certain tourists/skiers thought that a manhole cover from an overpriced
ski resort town would make a great ornament for their yard or garden,
instead of pink flamingos or garden gnomes. Vail solved the problem by
offering the manhole covers or facsimiles thereof in different sizes for
sale, although I don't recall the price.
--
mark

Old November 19th 04, 11:53 PM
pk

Matt O'Toole wrote:
Chris B. wrote:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 06:14:30 -0600, "Paul Turner"
wrote:

The bad news here is that 108 manhole covers have been stolen in
Chicago so far in November.

Personhole covers.

We wouldn't want to upset the womyn, now, would we...

Ok trivia question:

What's the difference between an inspection cover and a man/personhole
cover?

pk

Old November 19th 04, 11:58 PM
Claire Petersky

"Chris B." wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 06:14:30 -0600, "Paul Turner" wrote:

The bad news here is that 108 manhole covers have been stolen in Chicago
so far in November.

Personhole covers.

Utility access covers, duh.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old November 20th 04, 12:16 AM
maxo

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 06:14:30 -0600, Paul Turner wrote:

I saw two stories here this week that might be of interest to others.

Chicago has many drawbridges with metal grate lanes. I ride over this
stuff every day, and although you get used to it, I don't think anyone
likes it. Bikes seem to shimmy and the surface feels slippery when wet.
The city has installed a new surface for cyclists where Wells Street
crosses the Chicago River. It is a five-foot-wide strip of textured metal
that bolts to the grating.

I used to ride those bridges every single day, probably 300 days per year,
and never felt like it was that dangerous, though it was weird feeling on
my skinny tire bike. For some reason, on my motorcycle, it was worse,
probably the directional tire tread grabbing the metal strips...

The thing that always freaked me out about them was looking down and
imagining taking a spill with my fingers getting stuck in the grate and
torn off. :P

Perhaps the solid surface isn't any better grip wise, but it's got to be
nicer psychologically.

Heebeejeebies be gone!
Old November 20th 04, 01:52 AM
Frank Krygowski

Claire Petersky wrote:

Personhole covers.

Utility access covers, duh.

Seems to me that political correctness is death to conciseness.

This is how the Roman empire died. They were so busy inscribing the
longer, more politically correct phrases, they didn't notice the
invading hordes.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old November 20th 04, 04:06 PM
Claire Petersky

"Hunrobe" wrote in message

I learned that in a diversity class.

They've had so many sexual harrassment class at work, you'd think we'd know
how to do it already.

Old November 30th 04, 03:54 PM
donnel

http://www.ardice.com/Arts/Movies/Ti...Pink_Flamingos

Good news on Lyne TritonRider Racing 6 August 16th 04 07:20 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM
What makes a good cycling guest/host? (long) Perry Recumbent Biking 17 January 12th 04 01:16 AM
OT Good news Marlene Blanshay General 23 October 1st 03 07:11 AM