Neighbourhood streets

Old June 19th 05, 12:56 PM
Tony Raven

Default Neighbourhood streets

From A to B Magazine but a nice illustration of the impact of motor
traffic on a neighbourhood:

"It has bought misery to hundreds of motorists but the closure of a main
road has delighted dozens of youngsters. Children have turned a traffic
free section of Humberstone Road into a giant playground. Where once
there were huge traffic jams now there are games of cricket and
football. Sajjad Shah, 13, said "We play football in the park but
that's usually only on Saturdays and Sundays. This week we've been able
to come and play after school too. We play cricket too."

The road has been closed to strengthen a 125 year old bridge. It will
take 15 weeks to demolish the bridge, construct a steel and concrete
replacement and move electricity and phone cables"

The Mail, Leicester 28 April 2005
--
Tony

Anon
Old June 19th 05, 02:59 PM
John Hearns

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:56:05 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

From A to B Magazine but a nice illustration of the impact of motor
traffic on a neighbourhood:

"It has bought misery to hundreds of motorists

Misery? Define misery please.
Not being able to drive your car somewhere is not misery.
Hunger and disease, yes. Loss of loved ones.

Not having a go at you Tony, but well, having to sit in your car listening
to the radio for another half hour is not misery.
Annoying, inconvenient, yes.
Old June 19th 05, 03:04 PM
Tony Raven

John Hearns wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:56:05 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

From A to B Magazine but a nice illustration of the impact of motor
traffic on a neighbourhood:

"It has bought misery to hundreds of motorists

Misery? Define misery please.
Not being able to drive your car somewhere is not misery.
Hunger and disease, yes. Loss of loved ones.

Not having a go at you Tony, but well, having to sit in your car listening
to the radio for another half hour is not misery.
Annoying, inconvenient, yes.

Take it up with the Leicester Mail.

--
Tony

Anon
Old June 19th 05, 05:23 PM
Peter B

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
From A to B Magazine but a nice illustration of the impact of motor
traffic on a neighbourhood:

"It has bought misery to hundreds of motorists but the closure of a main
road has delighted dozens of youngsters. Children have turned a traffic
free section of Humberstone Road into a giant playground. Where once
there were huge traffic jams now there are games of cricket and
football. Sajjad Shah, 13, said "We play football in the park but
that's usually only on Saturdays and Sundays. This week we've been able
to come and play after school too. We play cricket too."

The road has been closed to strengthen a 125 year old bridge. It will
take 15 weeks to demolish the bridge, construct a steel and concrete
replacement and move electricity and phone cables"

I periodically drove this stretch on Fridays at about 14:00 leaving town and
was expecting a ball-ache when it closed, it was a bad stetch anyway, indeed
all of the A47 leaving town up to Humberstone Park was slow.
However, rather than work out my own diversion I followed the official route
and had no problem, although further in distance traffic flowed more freely
so there was no time penalty.
What it's like at other times I don't know, I suspect some local traffic has
diverted to Green Lane Road which with its traffic calming and inconsiderate
and often illegal parking wasn't much fun before.
--
Pete